dryer receptacle burnt - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 08-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,018
Default dryer receptacle burnt

My cousin called yesterday. Her son was doing laundry when the dryer receptacle started sparking and smoking..
It tripped the breaker eventually.
I didn't notice any loose connections on the wiring side. I'm guessing poor connection with the cord and receptacle is the culprit.
I didn't get a pic but there is smolder marks all up the wall above where the receptacle used to be.
I had to strip it back a foot or so and re mount it higher on the wall.
I would say they were lucky someone was home to notice.. could have been bad.

dryer receptacle burnt-forumrunner_20130806_144008.jpg

dryer receptacle burnt-forumrunner_20130806_143903.jpg

dryer receptacle burnt-forumrunner_20130806_143822.jpg
NacBooster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Never Used Scotchkote

Rewards Points: 2,032

Yeah looks kind of worn.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
felonious smile.

Rewards Points: 572

I hear some scientist working deep underground in Virginia are creating a 30 amp DP AFCI breaker as I write.
owl (08-06-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 5,518

Please check & clean the heating coils in the dryer.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Very Long Vacation

Rewards Points: 5,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirenuting View Post
Please check & clean the heating coils in the dryer.
How would that make a difference in terms of what happened to the plug? If air flow is a concern the blower and venting assembly is often an even bigger problem.
meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,018

The dryer wasn't even running when my cousins son saw it smoking.which is weird but....
NacBooster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Coffee drinking member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadow

How would that make a difference in terms of what happened to the plug? If air flow is a concern the blower and venting assembly is often an even bigger problem.
I've seen in the past were a dirty heating coil snaps & grounds out. Not enough to trip the breaker, but enough to melt the receptacle.
The OP stated he saw no loose connections, so IMO, start looking for the less obvious.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
Very Long Vacation

Rewards Points: 5,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirenuting View Post
I've seen in the past were a dirty heating coil snaps & grounds out. Not enough to trip the breaker, but enough to melt the receptacle.
The OP stated he saw no loose connections, so IMO, start looking for the less obvious.
True, but its more of an issue with age, usually accelerated by those who don't clean the lint trap or have ridiculously long runs to the exterior. Whats sad with most dryers is only one side is protected via high limits/thermal fuses and the other by the motor centrifugal switch which is non temperature dependent. Things get interesting when a ground out happens during a cycle
meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Coffee drinking member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadow

True, but its more of an issue with age, usually accelerated by those who don't clean the lint trap or have ridiculously long runs to the exterior. Whats sad with most dryers is only one side is protected via high limits/thermal fuses and the other by the motor centrifugal switch which is non temperature dependent. Things get interesting when a ground out happens during a cycle
Your right, and it can be dangerous.. I also hate seeing them darn plastic ducts. Man they smoke quickly..
I moved my fridge once a few years ago. The plug was a melted goo when I went to unplug it. The fridge looked and ran great, until that moment. LoL
Old 08-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
I hear some scientist working deep underground in Virginia are creating a 30 amp DP AFCI breaker as I write.
I don't know what difference that would make, since the damn things don't work anyway.
JoeKP (08-06-2013)