Duplex plates with nightlight - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By frenchelectrican
  • 2 Post By Signal1
  • 1 Post By JoeSparky
  • 1 Post By daveEM
  • 1 Post By chicken steve
  • 1 Post By sbrn33
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR

Old 01-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 246
Default Duplex plates with nightlight

Hey guys. I'm at my house and I re-arranged my living room. Moving one of those nifty little faceplates with the nightlight built in. Well, I'm wondering if any of y'all have ever dealt with moving one of these doo-hickeys? What am I missing? How do I make this thing work??
Jamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamato View Post
Hey guys. I'm at my house and I re-arranged my living room. Moving one of those nifty little faceplates with the nightlight built in. Well, I'm wondering if any of y'all have ever dealt with moving one of these doo-hickeys? What am I missing? How do I make this thing work??
Do this one have screw on the cover or not ? if not then it will have little clips you may have to pry it somehow on the corner to pull it out.

those nightlight they useally have some type of spring to concant the receptale screws so expect to see them.
Signal1 likes this.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,082

Same as any other plate.

Only difference is there are two little tabs that touch the terminal screws to power it.
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2018, 09:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,092

Don't feel bad. I actually had to just google what a face plate with a nightlight was. I have never seen one
bostonPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,187

Quote:
Contact your electrician. He'll know what to do
dmxtothemax likes this.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:31 AM   #6

I can't figure out if you're joking or not, Joesparky... Did my post make me sound unqualified? Also, why would someone need to call an electrician for a faceplate?

The problem I am having is : the dumb little plastic tabs with little contacts on them have spread out to fit the receptacle I have removed it from. Now, they won't close enough to fit the new one. Cheap chit. I thought someone else might have dealt with these and could offer up a trick

Last edited by Jamato; 01-18-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:01 AM   #7
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

Buy new ones?

Pigtail your device and back out the the unused screws so they make contact.

Put on regular plates making sure the little attachment screw is random as to up/down, left/right etc.
splatz likes this.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:23 AM   #8
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Yeah they're all cheap chinese chit Jamato , testimony to what NRTL's pass these days

But if they come out with talking face plates that yell "TURN IF THE 'EFF OFF PLEASE' to teenagers it might just be worth while......

~CS~
Jamato likes this.
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,248

Quote:
I can't figure out if you're joking or not, Joesparky... Did my post make me sound unqualified? Also, why would someone need to call an electrician for a faceplate?

The problem I am having is : the dumb little plastic tabs with little contacts on them have spread out to fit the receptacle I have removed it from. Now, they won't close enough to fit the new one. Cheap chit. I thought someone else might have dealt with these and could offer up a trick
Sometimes they have a hard time with receptacles with Number 12 on them. pigtail a 14 and you will be fine.
Jamato likes this.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 420

Quote:

Heat up the plastic tabs and bend them in while they are warm enough to move.

They will take a set when they cool.
Jamato likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #11

Thanks for the input, fellas!