Early power - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-27-2019, 08:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 272
Default Early power

Ive been doing work all my life in NJ, commercial and residential. Ive wired quite a bit of of homes.
We'd wire the house, get the rough and service inspection and had the power turned on. The next inspection was final electrical.
The house Im building here in Florida was inspected, the power is on and the sheetrock is up.
The inspector told me I need an "early power" inspection next.
I dont quite understand what is that for. It sounds like is an inspection between rough and final to make sure the outlets are closed and its safe to work around ?????? Make no sense to me.
Please chime in your opinion
Peter Goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 08:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,032

Prepower inspection? Where an inspector visits the site to make sure it's safe to energize prior to him sending authorization to connect to POCO? That's what it sounds like to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #3

It is not, I think. I already have power and a GFI receptacle next to panel is hot as temporary service

Last edited by Peter Goldwing; 02-27-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Goldwing View Post
It is not, I think. I already have power and a GFI receptacle next to panel is hot as temporary service
That sounds like temporary power as if you had a t-pole.

SOP for as long as I worked in the bldg dept was a temporary power permit for a t-pole (or TUG) and then we do a prepower inspection to authorize POCO to connect the main service, then a hot check which is your final electrical inspection.

Are you saying you got your temporary power from the main service?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 02-27-2019, 12:13 PM   #5
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Goldwing View Post
It used to be common down in Fort Myers to run a line from the temp pole over to the dwelling and power it up for an inspection prior to getting a tag on the meter and that cleared the way for FPL to come out and do the service hookup. Maybe this is what you are supposed to be doing.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:35 PM   #6
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

why didn't you ask the inspector when he told you that ?
Old 02-27-2019, 05:45 PM   #7

Back in NJ we didnt get a temporary power pole. Once the house was framed and the siding up, with the roof in place we'd start by doing the service Once that was passed the inspector would send the "cut in card" to the power company and they would hook it up.( we would put a temp pole only in large developments )
Normally this inspection was done at the same time as the roughing.
I understand most builders are using temp pole here in fl.
I guess the electrical inspector is a bit confused too.

This would very well apply to an old house that had the power off for a long time and maybe vandalized. The inspector would check to make sure no open wires and everything is safe Then he would tell the Power company that it is safe to hook up
Old 02-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
That sounds like temporary power as if you had a t-pole.

SOP for as long as I worked in the bldg dept was a temporary power permit for a t-pole (or TUG) and then we do a prepower inspection to authorize POCO to connect the main service, then a hot check which is your final electrical inspection.

Are you saying you got your temporary power from the main service?
When we first get the house panel to be energized it is called temporary since the branch circuits are not hooked up to the breakers yet. Then on final the inspectors opens up the panel checks for proper breaker size and calls it permanent power but dont send anything to the power company
Old 02-27-2019, 06:28 PM   #9

Come to think of it , the inspector should have called the inspection he has done "early power"
Old 02-27-2019, 06:35 PM   #10

I googled "early power inspection" and came up with prepower forms for cities & counties on the east coast of Florida.

It does sound like the inspector misspoke.

(833) GPS-TIME