Easy Heat (heat tape) - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 286
Default Easy Heat (heat tape)

Has anyone used this product before? My supply house is pushing it. Seems like a good product but pricy.

I need it for a sprinkler pipe that keeps freezing in an attic space. It has to be gfci protected. Manufacturers recommends gfci breaker rated to trip at 30ma rather than reg gfci which I believe is rated at 5ma. Doesn't specify why but I'm assuming it is to avoid nuisance tripping. Other then the breaker and a tstat is there anything else I should know about this stuff?

Sprinkler system should technically be a dry system but someone screwed up the install and they don't want to pay to change it. Its been there for 10 yrs and a fitting finally froze/broke.
kgb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
RIP 1959-2015

Location: Reporting From Fenway Park Home of the Boston Red Sox....
Rewards Points: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb62 View Post
Has anyone used this product before? My supply house is pushing it. Seems like a good product but pricy.

I need it for a sprinkler pipe that keeps freezing in an attic space. It has to be gfci protected. Manufacturers recommends gfci breaker rated to trip at 30ma rather than reg gfci which I believe is rated at 5ma. Doesn't specify why but I'm assuming it is to avoid nuisance tripping. Other then the breaker and a tstat is there anything else I should know about this stuff?

Sprinkler system should technically be a dry system but someone screwed up the install and they don't want to pay to change it. Its been there for 10 yrs and a fitting finally froze/broke.
If GFCI is required in that space then in must be 5ma not 30ma.

But is that in a commercial building? GFCI would not be required in that case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
evil bastard

Rewards Points: 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post

Not true Harry
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcclary's electrical For This Useful Post:
99cents (02-17-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
Professional Nit Picker

Rewards Points: 2,214

be sure to check with the proper authority ( fire marshal) first. In my area the heat tape would not be allowed. How would they monitor it to verify its continued proper operation?
Old 02-17-2015, 12:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,888

I use it a lot. I buy 2-3 24-30 foot sections of the stuff and every other year I see at least one of them being faulty in the middle of the winter.

When they work they're great, when they're faulty or a cheap brand they are a pima.
NC Plc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post

This is from the book that comes with the kit. Why wouldn't it be needed in a commercial building?Easy Heat (heat tape)-imageuploadedbyelectriciantalk.com1424220451.596829.jpg
Old 02-17-2015, 09:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb62 View Post
This is from the book that comes with the kit. Why wouldn't it be needed in a commercial building?Attachment 48321

My understanding is that all heat tape is required to be protected by a GFCI, no matter where it's located.

We have a LOT of heat tape at our facility, and every circuit is on a 30mA GFCI breaker.

I'm not sure what your application looks like, but I would recommend that if you're going to install heat tape for freeze protection, it should be insulated as well. Heat tape won't do its job unless insulated.

We do a megger check on all heat tape before its installed, after its installed, and after the insulation is put on. The insulators have screwed us (literally) several times on new heat tape installations.

Make sure you have a good loop at every support on the line.

This is a good how-to video:
mikey383 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikey383 For This Useful Post:
glen1971 (02-18-2015), kgb62 (02-17-2015), Semi-Ret Electrician (02-20-2015), v4rick (03-03-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 02:55 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 14

"Section 426.28 requires ground-fault protection of equipment for fixed outdoor electric deicing and snow-melting equipment. Rather than protecting the entire branch circuit, the ground-fault protection requirement is focused on protecting just the equipment itself. This affords the manufacturer and the user an option of providing both circuit and equipment protection or just the required equipment protection. This required protection for fixed outdoor deicing and snow-melting equipment may be accomplished by using circuit breakers equipped with ground-fault equipment protection (GFEP) or an integral device supplied as part of the deicing or snow-melting equipment that is sensitive to leakage currents in the magnitude of 6 mA to 50 mA. These protection devices, if applied properly, will substantially reduce the risk of a fire being started by low-level electrical arcing.
It is important to understand that this required equipment protection is not the same as a GFCI used for personal protection that trips at 5 mA ( 1 mA)."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PowerPlusCt.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:56 AM   #9

I think you should used a Gfep

Old 02-18-2015, 02:57 AM   #10

GFCI devices are not prevented from being used on de-icing equipment. But, many de-icing circuits inherently have leakage current greater than 5mA (the trip point of a GFCI),this usually happen with lengths exceeding 100'.

GFCI is a specific term for 'people protection'. GFPE is a generic term.

Square D calls their GFPE breakers Equipment Protective Device (EPD). The part number for a QO 30mA breaker is QOxxxEPD.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,078

they are also called rcd breaker and also exist in din rail config if you don't find one for your panel
oliquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #12
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 14,229

I used to be the factory rep for EasyHeat. Good company, good products, good service, Emerson company and sister to Nelson Heat Trace.

I would use self-reg, insulate it, use 30mA protection and install a basic thermostat.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
glen1971 (02-18-2015), Semi-Ret Electrician (02-20-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 516

I just got a spool of 200' of Easy Heat SR 120v for my own home. I had to fork up $450. Pretty expensive little spool. I make the end kits and power kits myself with heat shrink, bell boxes, and squeeze connectors from stock laying around
Old 02-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,078

200 foot for 450$ is very inexpensive, most of the supplier here sold me at 5$ foot, lowest i could find in another brand is 3.80$
oliquir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oliquir For This Useful Post:
NC Plc (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliquir View Post
200 foot for 450$ is very inexpensive, most of the supplier here sold me at 5$ foot, lowest i could find in another brand is 3.80$

I paid $3.50/ft for 220 ft of the sr51j. (5watts per ft). The tstat was over $100 as was the breaker. Definitely not cheap. Over $1000 in material.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:44 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,224

You need to check with the fire marshal. I think that heat tape used for freeze protection of a fire sprinkler system is required to be listed for that specific purpose.
Quote:
NFPA 13 (2007)8.16.4.1.2 “ Unheated areas are permitted to be protected by antifreeze systems or by other systems specifically listed for this purpose, including but not limited to LISTED HEAT TRACING SYSTEMS.
don_resqcapt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to don_resqcapt19 For This Useful Post:
Semi-Ret Electrician (02-20-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 08:46 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey383 View Post
My understanding is that all heat tape is required to be protected by a GFCI, no matter where it's located. ...
The term GFCI is specifically defined as 5mA ground fault protection. This term should not be used for GFP or GFPE which are equipment protection ground fault devices that have a trip higher that the 4-6mA trip that is required for the people protection GFCI device.
don_resqcapt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_resqcapt19 For This Useful Post:
glen1971 (02-20-2015), mikey383 (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 08:31 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
The term GFCI is specifically defined as 5mA ground fault protection. This term should not be used for GFP or GFPE which are equipment protection ground fault devices that have a trip higher that the 4-6mA trip that is required for the people protection GFCI device.
I guess in my area, we've always referred to any protection of that sort as a GFCI or GFI. I knew personnel protection should be 5mA and equipment should be 30mA, but wasn't aware of the different terms.

Thanks for the clarification.
mikey383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 516

Just picked up a BR single pole GFPE breaker for $100. Yet a GFCI breaker costs about $35 Go Figure.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_get_shocked View Post
Just picked up a BR single pole GFPE breaker for $100. Yet a GFCI breaker costs about $35 Go Figure.

Cost me $138.