Eating Crow or Pulling Wire - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-09-2012, 04:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,698
Default Eating Crow or Pulling Wire

I asked my guys about those Maxor Pulling heads, to see if they would try them out. Seems we have owned the complete set for 3 years and that is all the guys will use, THEY LOVE THEM.

Oh well guess you showed me.
walkerj (06-09-2012)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
BBQ
Salty Member

Rewards Points: 2

You are a good man for being honest.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

you talking about the maxis ones or something else ?
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

What is a maxor pulling head?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 4

It's Maxis, part of Southwire I believe. They sell ko sets, pullers, and pulling accessories. Nice looking stuff that I have seen at shows, but I don't pull enough big wire to justify the ownership of.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #6

My guys are telling me between the Maxis and Simpull. pulling wire is not near the chore it use to be.

MAXIS

http://www.maxis-tools.com/product/grips/
Old 06-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,002

Next question - do they duct tape them?
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
Next question - do they duct tape them?
I was gonna ask....

-John
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

We just completed a, 360' pull of 4#3 and# 4 ground between to different buildings. Using simpull wire Maxis 3k puller,a set of triggers ,and the Maxis coil feeder ,with two guys. The system is a real labor saver.
Main breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,615

What I'm interested in hearing is about the Greenlee machine that guides the conductors off the reels and feeds them to the guy at the front end of the conduit. I'm used to having to have about 5 or 6 guys at the front end of a pull when it's 500's or 750's, so if this thing works like Greenlee says it does that goes down to two men for feed and one to operate the tugger. Anybody used one?
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Ambassador of Amps

Rewards Points: 2,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
I asked my guys about those Maxor Pulling heads, to see if they would try them out. Seems we have owned the complete set for 3 years and that is all the guys will use, THEY LOVE THEM.

Oh well guess you showed me.
you pay attention to your guys and what they are doing just as much as my boss pays attention to us.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_5150 View Post
you pay attention to your guys and what they are doing just as much as my boss pays attention to us.
I am very busy doing my thing and do not follow firsthand what the guys doing installs are doing,, I pay a superintendent quite handsomely to keep that monkey off my back.
I am working today on a large Static-PDU swap out, why because the customer requested I be on site for a hot cut over (temporary external bypass that avoids a shut down, I have my hands on the work when necessary.

I love doing electric work; I am not big on handling the manpower, bidding and none testing aspects of our trade. I dislike doing reports and writing letters but that is all part of testing.

The important thing is the superintendent knows what he is doing and keeps abreast of the latest trends.

Last edited by brian john; 06-09-2012 at 01:31 PM.
brian john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
Ambassador of Amps

Rewards Points: 2,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
I am very busy doing my thing and do not follow firsthand what the guys doing installs are doing,, I pay a superintendent quite handsomely to keep that monkey off my back.

I love doing electric work; I am not big on handling the manpower, bidding and none testing aspects of our trade. I dislike doing reports and writing letters but that is all part of testing.

The important thing is the superintendent knows what he is doing and keeps abreast of the latest trends.

I didnt realize how big of an outfit you owned. I work for a small outfit and the boss doesnt care about us at all. So, I take it back, you arent anything like my boss - and thats a good thing
Old 06-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_5150 View Post
I didnt realize how big of an outfit you owned. I work for a small outfit and the boss doesnt care about us at all. So, I take it back, you arent anything like my boss - and thats a good thing

28 Employees
Old 06-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
What I'm interested in hearing is about the Greenlee machine that guides the conductors off the reels and feeds them to the guy at the front end of the conduit. I'm used to having to have about 5 or 6 guys at the front end of a pull when it's 500's or 750's, so if this thing works like Greenlee says it does that goes down to two men for feed and one to operate the tugger. Anybody used one?
I use this all the time. Love it. I can feed 500's all by myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Eating Crow or Pulling Wire-feeder.jpg  

angryceltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 500

I agree, the feeder saves lots of grunt work. Used one on a pull of some big (500's?) mc(?) cable a couple years age. Cable was probably 8# a foot so it was a real help on the feeding end. We were pulling across rollers so I was in the ceiling, but it all went smooth so it must have beeen ok.

Think I was on the feeding end with one some other time.

Not sure what they cost, but if it is something you would use regularly I bet it would pay for itself.
s.kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryceltic View Post
I use this all the time. Love it. I can feed 500's all by myself.
What kind of crazy sorcery is that thing?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #18
Golden Controls

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFarFromFenway View Post
It's a wire feeder, it pulls the wire off the reel so you can guide it into the conduit.

I've used one a lot and if your interested in saving on labor it's the best thing since individually wrapped cheese slices.
dowmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:00 AM   #19
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFarFromFenway View Post

Conductor feeder or wire feeder depending on which word you use them in your area.

One thing I like them due it make it easier to handle it and one nice pretty big plus if you secured the conductor feeder that will act like a brake when we do the downhill runs which I done few time so I know it do work and it did save my arse few time when it almost overdriven by weight of conductors.

Merci,
Marc
Old 06-11-2012, 03:46 AM   #20
BBQ
Salty Member

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
We have four of them and they are almost always on a job, the foreman love them.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote