Electrical Insulators - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 03-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
Pool Shark

Rewards Points: 886
Default Electrical Insulators

Was wondering if there is a rule of thumb of knowing what voltage is on the power pole by counting the number of insulators. For example one insulator equals x amount of voltage, and four equals x amount. Thanks all.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 709

I remember hearing one insulator for every 10,000 volts. I don't know if it's true though
ablyss (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
Fond of three phase

Rewards Points: 928

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I remember hearing one insulator for every 10,000 volts. I don't know if it's true though
I always heard, one rib for each 10,000 volts.
Today, it's kind of hard to tell. Poco upped the voltage in the area from 4800 to 13.2KV and are using the same insulators.
This is rural area and on the main roads, when the power poles were replaced, some of the insulators look like they're rated for a lot higher voltage, but those poles are a continuation of the 13.2 KV lines.
They probably did it for increasing the voltage in the future.
retiredsparktech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retiredsparktech For This Useful Post:
ablyss (03-22-2014), Big John (03-22-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #4
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 98

For clearance it is number of insulators +10'.
I would give this one 22' of clearance.
ablyss (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 300

I don't know of any hard and fast rule. I've heard both 10kV and 20kV per bell, but actually putting that in practice will often only get you within about 50kV of the nominal voltage.

For transmission systems I look at the overall insulator length and pole construction. I can usually ballpark it that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always wear your gloves.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big John For This Useful Post:
ablyss (03-22-2014)