Electrician vs electrical engineer - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By John Valdes
  • 2 Post By Southeast Power
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR

Old 08-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 146
Default Electrician vs electrical engineer

This one il start a new thread on. I've been doing electric for about 10 years. I've had my downfalls , I'm 32 now and I was a stubborn one growing up, Had a bad attitude and really didn't grow as an electrician till I'd say the past 4 or 5 years where I've actually matured. I'm working for a temp agency right now making 21 a hour. I can read prints, bend pipe , wire up ac units, heaters, ect ect. Im not experienced in fire alarms , high voltage or machinery but i feel like I'm a solid good all around electrician besides that. I'm not so sure I can run a big job. I'm at the point where I'm not making more then 700 a week after taxes and it's hard to live that way. Would this experience I have help me become a more successful electrical engineer vs an engeenier that has never been in the field? It's either that or go for my licence but owning a business is not a 8 hour job. It's basically 24 hr job and a big head ache. I'm afraid to be the old man still working my but off . I don't have much of a start towards my retirement.
ElectricalArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,589

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicilianiggy View Post
This one il start a new thread on. I've been doing electric for about 10 years. I've had my downfalls , I'm 32 now and I was a stubborn one growing up, Had a bad attitude and really didn't grow as an electrician till I'd say the past 4 or 5 years where I've actually matured. I'm working for a temp agency right now making 21 a hour. I can read prints, bend pipe , wire up ac units, heaters, ect ect. Im not experienced in fire alarms , high voltage or machinery but i feel like I'm a solid good all around electrician besides that. I'm not so sure I can run a big job. I'm at the point where I'm not making more then 700 a week after taxes and it's hard to live that way. Would this experience I have help me become a more successful electrical engineer vs an engeenier that has never been in the field? It's either that or go for my licence but owning a business is not a 8 hour job. It's basically 24 hr job and a big head ache. I'm afraid to be the old man still working my but off . I don't have much of a start towards my retirement.
Nothing you've done will help you become an electrical engineer.

You should be making way more than that in NYC, local 3 guys make like $55+/hour in the paycheck and almost $100 total per hour with benefits.

Non-union companies won't pay that much, but a good worker should be able to make more than $21/hr.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,788

Go to college and become an EE.
You will make more money and you will get to go home at night and you will most likely not have to work any weekends.
You will stay clean and you will work in an office instead of a construction site.

Like hax said. Your experience is not going to help you get a degree. But once you get that degree, your experience will make you just that much better than your counterparts that have no idea about this trade.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicilianiggy View Post
In our trade, you can't really expect journeyman level pay unless you have 5 or more years of experience. Beyond that, it takes maybe another 5 to 7 years, depending on your exposure to various types of work, to Master our trade.
That's about the time you can get into running jobs bigger than a custom house or retail build out.
I didn't get into running jobs into the millions or 10s of millions until I had 20 years in the trade.
I can only speak from the union side I'm not 100% sure how the non-union side works.
My son works non Union, has about 5 or so solid years of experience and makes $20 per hour traveling and working 58 to 68 hours per week and per diem.

For me, I'd rather work 25 or so hours per week and make $150 per hour so, I've got that going for me.

If you can handle the math, get a professional degree and go for it.
John Valdes and Robert47 like this.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 146

Thank you guys for the help. I'm been thinking about it and I'm really torn between what to do. The thought of going back to school is a scary one for me . It's going to be worth it in the end. Thanks again
ElectricalArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 996

Your self description sounds just like my youngest son I call capatosta!. You should be making more than that up there. As Hack said Local 3 is $100+ an hour for a journeyman. Forget the temp stuff and try and find a job for now with a larger company. Then try and get in the Union or into something like a college maintenance department. Then if you still feel like becoming an engineer the tuition maybe free. Engineering jobs are a 50/50 shot at good pay. The higher paying jobs are most often temporary. The lower paying jobs are more laborious. Check the jobs available on Monster or a similar place. I know many engineers that are working in other jobs due to poor hiring chances in their fields of study. There are plenty of good careers available in NYC. Having electrical knowledge is a huge plus in many of them. Property management and construction management are still viable city jobs that pay well. Check out college degrees online while you are still deciding on a career path.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #7
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,589

I think it's important to mention that getting a degree in EE is extremely hard, it's for book smart people who excel in math. It's a lot of work in addition to the fulltime job you need to pay your bills and tuition.

I'm just saying that you need to be fully committed to it before jumping in.

Personally, it's not something that I would want to do now. I know that I could do it if I had the ambition, but I don't know if that ambition would be there.
John Valdes likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

Going to echo the previous post. Less than a couple percent of the population
are smart enough to get the iron ring. Don't know how things work down their
but up here just getting in to a university engineering program is way out of
the reach of most students.
That said, if you can do it, you should.
Good Luck,
P&L
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:30 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 360

Sounds like you're a good electrician. Why don't you try to market and capitalize on that instead?
triden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:28 AM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugsAndLights View Post
Going to echo the previous post. Less than a couple percent of the population
are smart enough to get the iron ring. Don't know how things work down their
but up here just getting in to a university engineering program is way out of
the reach of most students.
That said, if you can do it, you should.
Good Luck,
P&L
Down here in my experience engineers are a dime a dozen. There are always plenty of jobs open and looking at the starting wages I'd rather work someplace with far less responsibility and get paid more at the same time.

The engineer friend that makes the best money works in the NYC sanitation department, he's some sort of dispatcher for garbage trucks. He gets beau coup overtime during snowstorms, get benefits, and loves his normal hours. He used to design telecom equipment til his company moved to mexico.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:30 AM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

From a different thread and a guy that has two years into becoming an EE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redden View Post
That's how it is, too. Any engineer fresh out of school is about to have his ass handed to him once he hits the field. That's honestly why I left. An ex's step dad works for Siemens as an EE and told me straight up, unless you have significant field experience a Bachelor's EE degree doesn't mean sh!t in getting a job. Sorry to give you the wrong impression though.
redden likes this.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,788

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I think it's important to mention that getting a degree in EE is extremely hard, it's for book smart people who excel in math. It's a lot of work in addition to the fulltime job you need to pay your bills and tuition.

I'm just saying that you need to be fully committed to it before jumping in.

Personally, it's not something that I would want to do now. I know that I could do it if I had the ambition, but I don't know if that ambition would be there.
When I was working at the textile recycling plant, we had a young guy that tried to rebuild gear boxes in the shop.
He seemed to never get them fixed, but had an agreement with the company to get off at 11:00 am every day and whole days off to go to Clemson university for a EE. degree. He put in a few extra hours on weekends to make up for some of his absence.
He had a wife and a couple kids and was going to college full time.

It seemed like in no time at all, he had the degree and left the company within days of graduating.
They must not have made a legal agreement for him to stay on after obtaining the degree.

I ran into him a few years later. He was my contact at Mitsubishi electronics. He was doing great. And he somehow did this while at least working part of the time.
I will assume he is one of the very few that could accomplish this.

OH....They paid the tuition for him as well.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote