Engineers - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By brian john
  • 1 Post By Signal1
  • 1 Post By emtnut
  • 1 Post By splatz

Old 04-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 386
Default Engineers

Spent half the afternoon trying to convince an engineer that he forgot the GEC for a water main in a tenant space and how I could convert the EGC of the main panel to a GEC and send it back to the meter bank. I just sent my coupe de tat email back to him, and its after 5pm, he hasn't responded. Letting a little thing like office hours get in the way of a heated discussion, just one more reason to gripe at them. Now i'm spoiling for a fight and no one to fight with. He closed his last email with this one "We like to use lots of acronyms and abbreviations to make sure architects stay confused about electrical work. It makes it seem a lot more complicated than it actually is." to us and the architect. So the question is do I throw a brick or a stick of rigid through his window, whats the preferred method of engineer disposal
Anathera is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,724

How far to the water pipe?
Why pick a fight?
He missed it and if you did not include it in your bid you missed it.
flyboy likes this.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #3

200 some feet across a parking garage. Problem is he specd two parallel runs of 250al in a 3inch conduit if I go with the 3/0 GEC like he wants it runs my pipe fill up to 39% and I just don't want that hard a fight. I'd rather run the 1/0 CU GEC and save myself the pipe fill or run parallel 3/0 CU and 1/0 CU but he disappeared on me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 928

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
How far to the water pipe?
Why pick a fight?
He missed it and if you did not include it in your bid you missed it.
Exactly....and why are you communicating with the engineer directly and not through your GC?
cdslotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #5

Because the Gc doesn't know what I'm talking about, for some reason the architect is acting as the project manager and is also out of his league so Engineer here I come. GC and architect are both in the email thread but the customer hired the engineer and architect and appliance contractor and the gc brought us, the plumber and the framers. Its a cluster
Old 04-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #6
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,234

Get used to it.

And don't let it get to you.
flyboy likes this.
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #7

At this point I find it kind of fun because we don't always get to do the calculations and such in the field. It was frusterating to me though because I was getting geared up for a good argument and he clocked out at 5 while I'm still itching for a fight, so i've been cruising around code discussions and being argumentative in the mean time
Old 04-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #8
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,510

Maybe things are different up here, but if there are engineering drawings... anything missing is an extra (spelled- Cha-Ching)

An estimator that I've worked with was a genius at picking out what was missing, then come in low bid and charge large for the extras.

I guess in your case, comes down to what you bid on, and the wording. From what others are saying, sounds like it's in your court ???
splatz likes this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #9
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
Maybe things are different up here, but if there are engineering drawings... anything missing is an extra (spelled- Cha-Ching)

An estimator that I've worked with was a genius at picking out what was missing, then come in low bid and charge large for the extras.

I guess in your case, comes down to what you bid on, and the wording. From what others are saying, sounds like it's in your court ???
I know people that follow dumb engineers around, bidding their jobs, like the seagulls follow fishing boats. Dumb engineers' mistakes leave a trail of change orders, which in their eyes is like leaving a trail of $100 bills.
emtnut likes this.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathera View Post
At this point I find it kind of fun because we don't always get to do the calculations and such in the field. It was frusterating to me though because I was getting geared up for a good argument and he clocked out at 5 while I'm still itching for a fight, so i've been cruising around code discussions and being argumentative in the mean time
I used to be like that, then I took some anger management classes.

Now I'm just a mellow old man...
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 976

Quote:
Spent half the afternoon trying to convince an engineer that he forgot the GEC for a water main in a tenant space and how I could convert the EGC of the main panel to a GEC and send it back to the meter bank.
Just for clarification, is this a new service to the tenant space or is it a feeder from an existing service?

I don't understand why there would be an EGC going to a Main Panel from a meter bank

Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 928

Quote:
Let us know how being "itching to fight" and argumentative works out for you.

I sure hope you used the specified fittings on that 200' run.....lol
cdslotz is offline   Reply With Quote