Entering the top of a 3R trough - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 04-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 18
Default Entering the top of a 3R trough

I am doing a service upgrade on a two family and adding a house panel. I have a three gang horizontal meter socket with three 100a disconnects underneath. I want to put a 3R trough under the disconnects to give me a easy way to bring the ser into the disconnects. Can I bring a pvc male adapter into the top of the trough or do I need one of those myers hub things? I hate trying to sleeve ser through an LB.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

myers
Bbsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Can't Remember

Thats what I thought. Anyone care to point to a code reference for my or anyone else's benefit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,050

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3
Thats what I thought. Anyone care to point to a code reference for my or anyone else's benefit?
Why not pvc then run ser?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm shakin it boss..I'm shakin it
Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Can't Remember

Because I am inherently lazy and hate trying to stuff a piece of #2 ser through a LB. The line to the house panel is a #1 ser, even more fun. SER into the back of the trough with a romex connector, stripped and up the nipple into the disconnect.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
felonious smile.

Rewards Points: 572

You can use a sealing locknut if you use rigid nipples. I find it easier when working w/ Se and SER to stub pvc from LB into basement w/ female adaptor and cable connector. Strip down sheathing and push conductors thru connector and LB. It works good for me .

Last edited by Shockdoc; 04-15-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Shockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

I say meyers hub not required, see 312.2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chris Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
evil bastard

Rewards Points: 746

Half the time I use sealing locknuts with a bead of silicone over them.
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

I try my best not to come in the top of outdoor equpiment, but when I must I either use the factory hub adaptor or a Meyers hub. In your case, I'm struggling with why you're not just using a 3-socket meter main assembly? They go up so slick.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDShunk For This Useful Post:
Big John (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Can't Remember

I would love to use one of those, but this is one of those low budget deals. PSNH gives us the socket. I really wish someone made a weather proof ser connector and sill plate to match (round opening). Just looking for an easier way.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
I would love to use one of those, but this is one of those low budget deals. PSNH gives us the socket. I really wish someone made a weather proof ser connector and sill plate to match (round opening). Just looking for an easier way.
There are weatherproof SER connectors. Same connectors you'd use on trailing cables for mining equipment. About every brand makes them. About 20 bucks. BUT... the kicker is that you're supposed to connect PIPE to a Meyers hub.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
Can't Remember

What would one of those be called? I will finish this off one way or another tomorrow. Maybe putting #1 and 2 ser in 1 1/2 lb won't be that bad.

Last edited by nrp3; 04-15-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 115

I use meter mains when we do multi-family units. Using seperate disconnects how would you ground that. Does each disconnect require a ground, or could you bond them together. I have never installed multiple disconnects, just meter mains. Sorry for the basic question.
guy2073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Can't Remember

I bring the water pipe ground and the ground rods into the socket, remove the single barrel lug and swap it for a double. The utility wants a ground in the can here.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I use meter mains when we do multi-family units. Using seperate disconnects how would you ground that. Does each disconnect require a ground, or could you bond them together. I have never installed multiple disconnects, just meter mains. Sorry for the basic question.
I drop the grounding electrode conductor out of each disco and use an H-tap or C-tap onto the actual grounding electrode conductor.