Exaktime - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By ElectricalArtist
  • 2 Post By micromind
  • 2 Post By 99cents
  • 3 Post By 99cents

Old 04-01-2017, 12:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 146
Default Exaktime

Do you guys use this app to track time? If so does this app take pictures and tap into the microphone without notice? The company I work with started using this and after doing research I've read that they can spy on you, I downloaded a app that tells me if anything is trying to access the camera and I get a pop up when I look at my phone thru out the day that says camera access denied.
ElectricalArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricalArtist View Post
Do you guys use this app to track time? If so does this app take pictures and tap into the microphone without notice? The company I work with started using this and after doing research I've read that they can spy on you, I downloaded a app that tells me if anything is trying to access the camera and I get a pop up when I look at my phone thru out the day that says camera access denied.
What was the app you downloaded?
Old 04-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #3

Camera blocker
mdnitedrftr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,662

If the company I work for pulled this kind of crap on me, I would be working somewhere else.
MechanicalDVR and muugi like this.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to micromind For This Useful Post:
John Valdes (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,673

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
If the company I work for pulled this kind of crap on me, I would be working somewhere else.
It's like putting GPS tracking on a personal vehicle.
micromind and MechanicalDVR like this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
John Valdes (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #6

It tracks jobsite times and location but from what I understand it taps into the front camera and takes a pic when u sign in and they can listen in on the microphone. Is that even legal
Old 04-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
It tracks jobsite times and location but from what I understand it taps into the front camera and takes a pic when u sign in and they can listen in on the microphone. Is that even legal
If you download the app onto your personal phone, you are essentially giving them permission to spy on you. I don't see it as any different than giving your kid a phone with spyware preloaded. If you agree, it's not spying.

If you were forced to agree, however...
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (04-02-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,420

Quote:
The app you downloaded to notify you if your camera is being accessed, does it tell you which app is trying to access it?
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #9
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,662

Some tape will fix the camera issue........though a hammer and a small drift punch would provide a more permanent solution.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:08 AM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
If you download the app onto your personal phone, you are essentially giving them permission to spy on you. I don't see it as any different than giving your kid a phone with spyware preloaded. If you agree, it's not spying.

If you were forced to agree, however...
Big difference between your kid and you being treated like one by your employer.

I'd never supply my phone for an employer, let them give you a company phone that is shut off when you are off.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2

At least on the iPhone you can turn off camera access to apps in your settings.

As far as what the app is intended/marketed for, I'm skeptical that it is as you say. I don't see the benefit of accessing the camera or microphone. It is designed to give a gps location when you clock in.

What does hearing the employee talk 5hit about the boss or a picture of their feet going to prove or disprove? They already know exactly where you are at a given time, and that's all they really care about. From there, you either produce or you don't. Make it unquestionable that you are a producer and it will never be an issue.
drewsserviceco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #12
Petulant Amateur

I'm not putting the boss's app on my phone. Full stop.