Federal Pacific/Challenger...? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zog

Old 02-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 45
Default Federal Pacific/Challenger...?

This client of mine thinks that replacing his FPE breakers with what looks like FPE breakers with a Challenger(also out of business right?) sticker on them, he will avoid having to replace a very inconveniently placed load center(due to size and closeness of many other panels). I say he must faceit, and do the big job. Comments on acceptable FPE replacements?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-FEDERAL-...torefresh=true
arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Very Long Vacation

Rewards Points: 5,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur View Post
This client of mine thinks that replacing his FPE breakers with what looks like FPE breakers with a Challenger(also out of business right?) sticker on them, he will avoid having to replace a very inconveniently placed load center(due to size and closeness of many other panels). I say he must faceit, and do the big job. Comments on acceptable FPE replacements?

It wont solve the breaker to buss connection issues. Any at $80 a breaker its enough for a modern panel upgrade. There in no way to fix FPE.
meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
Very Long Vacation

Update, just saw the link.

Those breakers are just rebranded genuine FPE junk. Those breakers are worthless they are genuine FPE that lost its UL rating. I was thinking of UBI Connecticut electric replacement breakers made to go into FPE.

http://products.connecticut-electric...8-EC574C88F010}

The new replacement versions might be a bit better but still you have the buss design to worry about.
The Following User Says Thank You to meadow For This Useful Post:
arthur (02-28-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #4

The new replacement versions might be a bit better but still you have the buss design to worry about.[/QUOTE]

Meaning poor mechanical/electrical connection?
Old 02-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Zog

Rewards Points: 1,096

Quote:

American CB, and UBI all made (Or make) replacement stab lok breakers.

Eaton also makes replacement panel guts for FPE panels.
arthur likes this.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,166

Challenger bought the rights to make the breakers from FPE, Eaton (C-H) eventually bought Challenger.
Zog (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
Very Long Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog View Post

Ive always wanted to ask, how are the UBI FPE breakers. Are they improved like they say or are they the same thing , ie spring for a fulcrum, no magnetic trip, double pole breakers jamming on internal common trip?
Old 02-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
Very Long Vacation

Quote:
The new replacement versions might be a bit better but still you have the buss design to worry about.
Meaning poor mechanical/electrical connection?[/quote]

The breaker stabbing into the buss. Both poor mechanical and electrical connection. FPE is notorious for those becoming loose and arcing.
The Following User Says Thank You to meadow For This Useful Post:
arthur (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
MTW

Rewards Points: 9,496

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadow View Post
The breaker stabbing into the buss. Both poor mechanical and electrical connection. FPE is notorious for those becoming loose and arcing.
Arcing? I think you mean a glowing connection.
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 8,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog View Post

I've done at least half dozen of the Eaton retrofits. they are about $250 more than a regular loadcenter but are listed as a "panelboard".
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #11

Anecdote: As an apprentice in the 80's, one of the first jobs I was taken to, I witness an outlet ON FIRE when we turned it back on to test it, you guessed it, FPE breaker. That made a lasting impression on me!
Old 11-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 7,327

Quote:
Anecdote: As an apprentice in the 80's, one of the first jobs I was taken to, I witness an outlet ON FIRE when we turned it back on to test it, you guessed it, FPE breaker. That made a lasting impression on me!
You do realize this post is five years old, right?
Old 11-13-2019, 05:26 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,302

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
You do realize this post is five years old, right?
He should. He's the OP.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:19 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 7,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
He should. He's the OP.
Apparently he hasn't been very active in the last few years. I would like to know more about the self-immolating recep. though. And what the breaker had to do with it.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 14

My sister called me to check out her dryer circuit about 2 weeks ago. One day just stopped working. She said the property manager checked it out and replaced a breaker then left. Well it still didnt work so she called me for a favor. Went out and metered the outlet and was getting power on one leg but not the other. Next thing I did was go check the panel, and there is when I seen it, a cursed FP panel.

Carefully took front cover off and found the problem, whoever ran the dryer circuit stripped the jacket off at the connector but must of stripped it to much, exposing the copper in the one leg. Did it trip, nope. Melted the damn connector and the leg with no power was completely corroded through and broke. Called homeowner to inform him and he asked if I could splice that part to get dryer working. I said nope, told him I will only run a new line since it wasnt that far. Got it fixed but I reiterated numerous times that the FP panel has got to go. And to call me to switch it to Square D. Hate FP with a passion.
JSweaty009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:35 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,263

Rip the guts out, put in a slightly smaller Homeline panel in the old pan, collect check
samgregger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:50 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,551

FPE or Bulldog as the worst ?
catsparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:16 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 3,302

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsparky1 View Post
FPE or Bulldog as the worst ?
FPE. Bulldog was pretty solid from my experience. It wasn't thermal-magnetic, but it was well made.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:56 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 1,551

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
FPE. Bulldog was pretty solid from my experience. It wasn't thermal-magnetic, but it was well made.
worked on a mill that was all Bulldog . Breakers never went below 90 volts .
from my eyes Bulldog was made stout just not safe . Discos not so bad but panels not so much . zinsco is really unsafe for spark monkeys as well !!
catsparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:04 AM   #20
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,215

So today, I did something that's gonna make all you anti FPE guys cringe and cry. I put two of those really skinny half size Challenger / FPE breakers into a small FPE load center in an apartment.

Why would I commit such a crime? Well...... to make it safer for the next tenants. What??? you say? Safer? How can this be? Well...... the apartment originally was wired with one, yes one outlet in the teeny ghetto kitchen if you can call it that. Well....... you can call it that, it has a sink and a gas oven which is a permanent means to prepare food, which is the current NEC Version Definition of a kitchen vs a wet bar. A Kitchen with ok two outlets actually but one is behind the oven down close to the floor for the igniter. So it don't count cause the tenants don't know it's down there, I know that cause they would have put one of those push in and screw down quad outlet expanders like they did at the one outlet next to the sink. On the circuit that is feeding the fridge also. And the Bathroom outlet on the backside of the kitchen wall. So one twenty amp circuit runs bath outlet, The one kitchen outlet, old range hood. Not so good. This is microwave country, and everybody cooks rice here in the plug in rice cooker, and we all need Kurig coffee don't we. And toast. And stuff. So I ran two new circuits from the highly dangerous FPE panel thru the plumbing wall that has a big space between each side due to offset opposite studs. (thank you Heavenly Father for that ) which I found right away. I ran a new dedicated circuit for the bath outlet (new gfi)(tamper resistant I might add....) , and installed another kitchen outlet a couple inches over from the first and only one on the counter. There is only 15 inches of counter available. So Yea, they probably never overloaded that outlet,...... Maybe.... but now there is two circuits, and I put in a new fridge outlet which they also never had and fed that from my new circuit. I'm a hell of a swell guy ain't I , helping keep these poor desperate immigrants from a certain chain of islands in the Pacific Ocean that make terrific landscapers. Now there won't be an electrical fire , since I added two new circuits to their FPE panel. MAGA
Drudge Report
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
federal pacific, fpe