Finding your own mistakes - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By flyboy
  • 3 Post By MikeFL
  • 2 Post By canbug
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 2 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By nrp3

Old 06-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #1
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,332
Default Finding your own mistakes

I happened to be in a panel I installed about 10-11 years ago. I happened to notice one of the breakers looked a little cooked.

MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 46

I was in a cabinet I had installed a 100hp soft start in a few years ago and noticed one of the line side lugs was loose. No apparent heat damage. I tightened it down and it seems to be fine. The motor isn't loaded very heavily so that is what probably saved it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Forge Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,636

I made a mistake once. I thought I was wrong, but it tuned out I wasn't.
bill39, Stickshaker, TGGT and 1 others like this.
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flyboy For This Useful Post:
batwing44 (06-13-2018), TGGT (06-15-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #4
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,332

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
I made a mistake once. I thought I was wrong, but it tuned out I wasn't.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:39 PM   #5
zac

Rewards Points: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
I happened to be in a panel I installed about 10-11 years ago. I happened to notice one of the breakers looked a little cooked.

I hate it when I think I land the breaker terminal but it's actually on the plastic side.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,872

When I was young my dad & I were putting new license plates on the car. 4 years earlier the vice grips which were used to hold the nut on the backside of the bolt were left sitting on the inside of the bumper. They were still there 4 years later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:38 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,544

I think we generally get better with time. More precise and a bit more thorough, that is until I can't see and don't give a crap anymore.

Tim.
TGGT and Wiresmith like this.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
Vacated

Rewards Points: 2,844

i'm not trying to be an a**, but see why they want us to install afci's? come in hung over and beat a staple a little too hard. it only takes one
Wiresmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:04 PM   #9
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiresmith View Post
i'm not trying to be an a**, but see why they want us to install afci's? come in hung over and beat a staple a little too hard. it only takes one
If I thought they worked, I'd be right there with you.
Wiresmith likes this.

Last edited by splatz; 06-15-2018 at 07:14 PM.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #10
Vacated

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
If I thought they worked, Id be right there with you.
i take it you've seen a faulted circuit and it didn't open?

care to share any details?

did you catch the article i think this last one about manufacturers and i think ul testing of breakers in either ec&m or electrical contractor(i never remember which one). they didn't go into specifics but said they would in an article soon, but alluded to there being deficiencies in some brands when shown the real world (i would've told you that without the testing there doing).

to be honest, i'm not around afci's very often, i just hate the thought of NM and thought they might help.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:19 PM   #11
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
i take it you've seen a faulted circuit and it didn't open?
Videos like this

and manufacturer videos that, if you look at the fine print, are made at much higher than normal voltages, make me deeply skeptical.

If I had the confidence in AFCI I had in GFCI I'd be a fan, even if they are a pain in the ass.

And I am with you, I don't like NM either
Wiresmith likes this.
Wiresmith (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #12
Vacated

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Videos like this

and manufacturer videos that, if you look at the fine print, are made at much higher than normal voltages, make me deeply skeptical.

If I had the confidence in AFCI I had in GFCI I'd be a fan, even if they are a pain in the ass.

And I am with you, I don't like NM either
i actually don't think much of standard miniature breakers from brands other than square d(QO, QOB) and abb. when i think of using an afci i am only thinking of using one of those 2, it doesn't surprise me a bit those other what i call off brand ones don't work.

in the video he alluded to a square d afci video but i can't find it, have you seen it? how did it do, QO or homeline?
Old 06-15-2018, 09:38 PM   #13
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

Quote:
i actually don't think much of standard miniature breakers from brands other than square d(QO, QOB) and abb. when i think of using an afci i am only thinking of using one of those 2, it doesn't surprise me a bit those other what i call off brand ones don't work.

in the video he alluded to a square d afci video but i can't find it, have you seen it? how did it do, QO or homeline?
LOL Eaton CH is an off brand? Iím a big fan of QO but the local distributor sucks, unless I want to go to gay-bar.
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:30 AM   #14
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 956

At least I'm getting better at finding the problems that trip them. The last two were in the wiring of homeowner (using the ground as a traveler) or neutral tied to the wrong circuit. Another was nuisance tripping caused by a particular cell phone charger. She figured that one out on her own. Glad she called or I would have had a tough time finding that one.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:52 AM   #15
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
I don't remember the details, I just remember it was some sleazy fine print bait and switch bull****. I have seen pharmaceutical companies do the same thing with "research." Pharmacos are near the bottom for me on trustworthiness.

I also saw that Mike Holt had spoken up about this at one point, then after one of the manufacturers had him visit their facility, he stopped talking about it. He didn't really reverse his position, taking the time to explain why; he just stopped talking about it. I suspect he might have been threatened with legal action by the manufacturer(s).

I have been watching very carefully on this forum and elsewhere for examples where AFCIs actually save the day and reveal a fault and led to the elimination of a hazard. I remain unconvinced of their value.
Wiresmith and MTW like this.
Wiresmith (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 06:04 AM   #16
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 956

I do a fair amount of kitchen renovations, most of which the walls are down and we remove most of the existing wiring. Rarely, if ever do we have any trouble with our new wiring. It's always the existing stuff, mostly bundled neutrals in multigang switch boxes. I've found pinched wiring in outdoor light fixtures that have tripped them. Starting to use the diagnostic led's more if the particular brand has them. Used the ones on the CH breaker and found it helpful this week. The customer was billed for that one. The outdoor receptacle it fed had romex exposed to the elements and was full of water too. Solved a few issues there. That being said, I'm still not fond of them.
splatz likes this.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nrp3 For This Useful Post:
splatz (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #17
Vacated

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1124 View Post
LOL Eaton CH is an off brand? Iím a big fan of QO but the local distributor sucks, unless I want to go to gay-bar.
that's how i categorize there miniatures anyway.