Fire Alarm wiring - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By telsa
  • 1 Post By farmantenna
  • 1 Post By Vintage Sounds
  • 1 Post By Sprague22

Old 08-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Default Fire Alarm wiring

As a part of a commercial upgrade job we are doing, the prints specify that we have to install a couple of smoke detectors and "connect to the closest smoke detector". I am aware of the circuit wiring of one nac following another with a termination resistor at the end. I notice that all of the existing class B conduit wiring is in series (the conduit not the wiring) - this visually represents easily the chain of one nac following the next to the final termination resistor - while this conduit line makes it easy to following which smoke follows the next, is this a requirement? Would it not be possible to install my new smoke detector using one conduit run branched off existing line, and then, if necessary install two pairs of wiring, allowing the sensing signal to be routed off the main line to my device and back again through the same conduit - from there continuing along the chain?

The question here is simply whether a smoke detector needs two conduit runs or not to clarify the direction of the run. A drawing would show this more clearly as one line of sensing devices in a row with the new one branching off one proposed in the middle of the line.
stdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2017, 06:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25,878

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdave View Post
As a part of a commercial upgrade job we are doing, the prints specify that we have to install a couple of smoke detectors and "connect to the closest smoke detector". I am aware of the circuit wiring of one nac following another with a termination resistor at the end. I notice that all of the existing class B conduit wiring is in series (the conduit not the wiring) - this visually represents easily the chain of one nac following the next to the final termination resistor - while this conduit line makes it easy to following which smoke follows the next, is this a requirement? Would it not be possible to install my new smoke detector using one conduit run branched off existing line, and then, if necessary install two pairs of wiring, allowing the sensing signal to be routed off the main line to my device and back again through the same conduit - from there continuing along the chain?

The question here is simply whether a smoke detector needs two conduit runs or not to clarify the direction of the run. A drawing would show this more clearly as one line of sensing devices in a row with the new one branching off one proposed in the middle of the line.
There is no general rule for F/A systems as the technology has changed over the years.

There was a time when loops were required to attain supervision.

Now it's gotten to the point that branched circuits can work -- and some systems even have addressable notification appliances.

Consequently no-one can provide decent advice over the Internet.

You'll have to dig into the technicals for what has been installed -- by contacting its maker.

The FACP largely dictates what, where and how you may expand the system... and there are a LOT of variations.
wildleg and LARMGUY like this.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 428

if you're sure it's class B, I don't think there would be a code problem. In a class A system you shouldn't and can't run both in same conduit and supply and return wires must be horizontally 4' apart .
Bobby9# likes this.
farmantenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,004

Is this an addressable system?
Bobby9# likes this.
Vintage Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Sounds View Post
Is this an addressable system?
doesn't seem to be. he mentioned class B with resistor
farmantenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,347

If it is really class B IDC wiring to the nearest smoke detector, just run 4 conductors of the same gauge to your 2 new detectors . Running class B in and out in the same conduit is a non issue. A on the other hand is all about redundancy. You loose your redundancy by using the same path for both pairs.
JoeSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 8

OK - that's helpful. Thanks all for the input.
stdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:45 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 18

I know im a bit late.... but if its class b wiring, mostly done in same raceway. Class A definitely needs to be seperate raceways or it kind of defeats the purpose.

Ahj sometimes will have imput in how things get wired.

Here in boston everything needs to be class a. When the FD runs a test they will make us pull down a horn/strobe and make sure all others still work

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
LARMGUY likes this.
Sprague22 is offline   Reply With Quote