First Bitcoin Farm - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By RePhase277
  • 3 Post By Cow
  • 1 Post By Southeast Power
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 2 Post By RePhase277
  • 1 Post By oliquir
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By samgregger

Old 12-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360
Default First Bitcoin Farm

Just fired up a service today for a Bitcoin mining operation. What a fiasco. Originally it was going to be 7.5 kW of load. Then they decided to move to his garage: an old single level house with an ancient 100 amp service. 25 kVA transformer feeding 4 houses. The guy upped his consumption to 28.8 kW. Getting the PoCo to change the transformer was something special. They kept insisting that the 25 kVA transformer would handle it due to "diversified loading". I finally got through to them that this guy was going to be pulling 120 amps 24/7 365, no diversity... real amps.

"So... wait... you're saying there will be 120 amps continuous... all the time?"

They wanted to put in a 37.5 kVA pole pig... which would leave just 36.25 amps for all 4 houses to share. We finally talked them into a 50 kVA... So the house gets a 320 amp service, with the old 100 amp panel remaining and a new 200 amp bolt-on panelboard for his servers. I'm excited to see where this goes. I expect he's going to outgrow his little neighborhood single phase primary soon.
The_Modifier and splatz like this.
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RePhase277 For This Useful Post:
splatz (12-06-2017)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2017, 10:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 26,352

He's off his nut.

Bitcoin mining ONLY works if you've got subsidized power... ie you're stealing it... or you're in Venezuela.

Yes, it's THAT hard to mine a SINGLE Bitcoin at this time.

And the power requirement is accelerating away faster than the price of Bitcoins.

Indeed, that's EXACTLY why Bitcoin is currently flying high. No-one can create more supply.

Not really.

But, at the end of the day, Bitcoin is tulips, revisited.

The Red Chinese have reached my conclusions: astounding hacking is to come -- followed by official repression of Bitcoin transactions -- followed by a total collapse of the Bitcoin mania.

Vertical UP = Vertical Down.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #3

Famously, Isaac Newton made a fortune in tulips -- then got back in -- and lost all his winnings and much more. When the turn came, even the genius of the age couldn't get his order in fast enough.

( Being in England was lethal to his prospects for an item traded in Holland. )

We have the exact same problem.

Bitcoin is going to move based on Asia -- not The City or Wall Street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2017, 10:40 PM   #4
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,712

I think most could careless if it makes sense to Bitcoin mine or not. As long as their check clears, then that's real money in the bank.
drspec, samgregger and RePhase277 like this.
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #5
Registered Member

It's impossible to hack a Bitcoin due to the hashchain that each new minting must verify. I agree that energy is a factor, but at 10 cents per kW-hr, he's willing to risk it. I don't give a rip at any rate because the check cleared in USD.
Southeast Power (12-06-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:42 PM   #6
MTW

Rewards Points: 9,224

Fascinating stuff. Thanks for sharing.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:23 PM   #7

What's really funny ?

That he can go for years without mining a single coin.

Partials don't exist.

Heh.

But, as you say, that's HIS problem.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 8,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
What's really funny ?

That he can go for years without mining a single coin.

Partials don't exist.

Heh.

But, as you say, that's HIS problem.
https://99bitcoins.com/bitcoin-minin...s-explanation/
Navyguy likes this.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:10 AM   #9
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

I wonder how the whole Net Neutrality deal will effect digital currencies? ~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #10
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
I wonder how the whole Net Neutrality deal will effect digital currencies? ~CS~
LOL my first thought was they're unrelated but then Comcast could declare the bitcoin evil and block the exchange - people could find another way to the exchange, but that would certainly at least shave a few bucks off the bitcoin price - especially if they declare the Etherium A-OK and traffic to the Etherium exchange is unmolested.
chicken steve likes this.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #11
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePhase277 View Post
Just fired up a service today for a Bitcoin mining operation. What a fiasco.
Did you get a look how many racks they're taking up? How about the cooling? I'm wondering how much of that 200 amps is going to servers, and what part to cooling.

I thought it would be cool to mine bitcoins in the basement of a building in the winter where you could use the heat generated to offset your heating costs.

In the summer, I thought the best place would be in an abandoned mine, all the 55*F air you want.

Exactly what goes on at that top secret off grid solar powered retreat? I was figuring you're just moonshining, now I wonder...
Old 12-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Did you get a look how many racks they're taking up? How about the cooling? I'm wondering how much of that 200 amps is going to servers, and what part to cooling.
Never saw the equipment. Just receptacles. According to the customer, the best cooling is ventilation, not air conditioning. A big fan will move lots of air.

Quote:
I thought it would be cool to mine bitcoins in the basement of a building in the winter where you could use the heat generated to offset your heating costs.

In the summer, I thought the best place would be in an abandoned mine, all the 55*F air you want.
That's the right idea.

Quote:
Exactly what goes on at that top secret off grid solar powered retreat? I was figuring you're just moonshining, now I wonder...
Mostly just being drunk and yelling at trees that look like my dad.
chicken steve and splatz like this.
splatz (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,024

i am thinking of doing it in the winter (not a big setup only 4-5 kw one), i actually use electric heating so it would cost me 0$ more of electricity.
splatz likes this.
oliquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #14
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliquir View Post
i am thinking of doing it in the winter (not a big setup only 4-5 kw one), i actually use electric heating so it would cost me 0$ more of electricity.
Not all the electrical use goes towards heat so you will still pay for the GPU cycles.
samgregger likes this.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,235

Someone should create a little bitcoin miner that looks like a surge suppressor and put one on every panel change you do. "And now I just need your wifi password so it can... uh... monitor surges and stuff"
Cow likes this.
samgregger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Not all the electrical use goes towards heat so you will still pay for the GPU cycles.
ive searched a lot about that and all result came to the same conclusion, almost 100% of watt consumed by gpus/cpu is converted into heat.
oliquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 3,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePhase277 View Post
Just fired up a service today for a Bitcoin mining operation. What a fiasco. Originally it was going to be 7.5 kW of load. Then they decided to move to his garage: an old single level house with an ancient 100 amp service. 25 kVA transformer feeding 4 houses. The guy upped his consumption to 28.8 kW. Getting the PoCo to change the transformer was something special. They kept insisting that the 25 kVA transformer would handle it due to "diversified loading". I finally got through to them that this guy was going to be pulling 120 amps 24/7 365, no diversity... real amps.

"So... wait... you're saying there will be 120 amps continuous... all the time?"

They wanted to put in a 37.5 kVA pole pig... which would leave just 36.25 amps for all 4 houses to share. We finally talked them into a 50 kVA... So the house gets a 320 amp service, with the old 100 amp panel remaining and a new 200 amp bolt-on panelboard for his servers. I'm excited to see where this goes. I expect he's going to outgrow his little neighborhood single phase primary soon.
Why do you give a rats ass what size the poco trans is? Do your job and let them do theirs.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #18
MTW

Rewards Points: 9,224

I can't believe Rephase is a "Registered Member" now.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote