Fixtures : UL vs ETL Listing - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Southeast Power
  • 2 Post By LawnGuyLandSparky

Old 12-31-2016, 01:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 241
Default Fixtures : UL vs ETL Listing

Recent experience gives me appreciation for UL Listing...

A contractor I work with bought 2 great looking gold lights with very slim mounting surface (sconces). They were not UL listed, but a note inside said "Meets some of the UL Testing Criteria".

The mounting surface was about 1 5/8 wide, too narrow for any boxes. The solution from manufacturer was to mount to a octagon box, set in 1/2", metal cover plate on with 1/2" knockout in center.

Then sheetrock over edges of octogon so that 1 1/2 allows sconce to cover outlet rectangle.

Long story short this did not allow for access to the outlet box. I told the contractor it is against code, that in future UL listing Fixtures will garantee that he can find a code-approved-outlet box. I didn't realize UL listings were there for a good reason, in this case 1/2 day lost to figure out how to mount, and then then that there was not way to mount without violating code.

Any UL Listing feedback/stories. I thought was interesting experience. He recently got 2 new sconces for different room, these are "ETL" listed, not UL. I've never seen ETL, all supply stores here are UL.

Happy New Year!
onilozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2016, 03:44 AM   #2
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,152

ETL is just as good. They are both NRTLs
Here is a list of current ones out there for the US:

https://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/nrtllist.html
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,432

Get used to seeing a lot more things with only the ETL and not the UL listing, because UL has gotten too big for it's britches and the costs to test products is off the charts.

Our government should be the only authority for "approving" electrical products.
micromind and GrayHair like this.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 241

Got it, good to know, I wasn't sure about ETL listing. Thanks for the feedback and the list, I'll need to look it over to familiarize.
onilozay is offline   Reply With Quote