Flexible non metallic conduit - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By RePhase277
  • 2 Post By PlugsAndLights
  • 2 Post By PlugsAndLights

Old 04-05-2017, 09:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Default Flexible non metallic conduit

Im in a jam and was hoping someone could help? I want to get this job done in a day (tomorrow of course )

I have to feed 2 condensers on the roof of a shopping mall. I will be running the feeders through a ventilation shaft that is used for supply air to the main electrical vault. I was planning to run teck from the disconnects on the units, down the shaft (with jacket removed) and into the vault, junction box, and bx the rest of the way to the panel.

Instead, could I run "tough tube" down the shaft? We have a ton at the shop and I want to use it but Im getting mixed answers from everyone. Help! I know answers may vary depending on jurisdictions etc.

Canadian Electrical Code, BC
https://ontario.westburne.ca/medias/...263_144_en.pdf

I cant find anything telling me I cant! LOL
Thank you very much
DoubleAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #2
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

I don't think I would run anything in there wasn't plenum rated. Does that matter in Canada?
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RePhase277 For This Useful Post:
DoubleAction (04-05-2017), MechanicalDVR (04-06-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

No. Liqudtite is not suitable for this use.
code ref 12-1302.
P&L
MechanicalDVR and Majewski like this.
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PlugsAndLights For This Useful Post:
DoubleAction (04-05-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #4

Thanks P&L

Is that based on sub rule 1?
Old 04-05-2017, 10:14 PM   #5
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAction View Post
Thanks P&L

Is that based on sub rule 1?
sub 1,2&3 are all suggesting that the intended/allowed use is as
a flexible connection to a load. For instance, from a disconnect to
an A/C unit. Not as a general use conduit.
You're Welcome,
P&L

BTW, the CEC section is the best place for Canadian rules.
Bird dog and DoubleAction like this.
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PlugsAndLights For This Useful Post:
DoubleAction (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 10:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,774

Quote:
Im in a jam and was hoping someone could help? I want to get this job done in a day (tomorrow of course )

I have to feed 2 condensers on the roof of a shopping mall. I will be running the feeders through a ventilation shaft that is used for supply air to the main electrical vault. I was planning to run teck from the disconnects on the units, down the shaft (with jacket removed) and into the vault, junction box, and bx the rest of the way to the panel.

Instead, could I run "tough tube" down the shaft? We have a ton at the shop and I want to use it but Im getting mixed answers from everyone. Help! I know answers may vary depending on jurisdictions etc.

Thank you very much
Why take the rubber jacket off the cable? Is there no other way to install this than the plenum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugsAndLights View Post
No. Liqudtite is not suitable for this use.
code ref 12-1302.
P&L
I'm assuming you're referring to the "tough tube" (liquid tight) option?

I didn't see where you couldn't run teck, since it is FT4 rated, but I'm not sure how it could be firestopped at each end properly... I'd be looking at an alternate route..
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:59 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:

Thank you very much

So by "tough tube" I am assuming this is the trade slang up there for "flexible non metallic tubing / conduit" eh?

We call that "smurf tube" down here. I'm not familiar with Canadian Code but I'm pretty sure the NEC doesn't allow FNMC in ventilation shafts.

I'd be trying to find a better way to do the job. Is EMT out of the question? At least for the portion where it is in the ventilation shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patriot1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:46 PM   #8

Jobs done! I'm asking for an apprentice next time, I'm beat. Yes the plenum was the only option. I used teck. I'm trying to stick to the job as quoted, which my boss says I should do more often
Old 04-07-2017, 08:04 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,774

Quote:
Jobs done! I'm asking for an apprentice next time, I'm beat. Yes the plenum was the only option. I used teck. I'm trying to stick to the job as quoted, which my boss says I should do more often
But why strip off the outer jacket? How did you seal the duct openings where the cable came out?
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote