Ford Transit Ecoboost vs. Promaster V6 Power - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Southeast Power
  • 1 Post By samgregger

Old 12-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 431
Default Ford Transit Ecoboost vs. Promaster V6 Power

How is the power and reliability of the Ecoboost motor? I'm planning on getting a van as a daily driver(personal vehicle) and weekend camper mobile.

On weekends I'm usually driving up into the mountains over steep passes so I was thinking the boosted motor would help haul the mail. I'm looking at the 250 Long High Roof model, seems plenty big for my use.

I would actually prefer a Promaster 2500 High Roof 136wb, as I've heard it offers the most room inside and is easier to build out, and the FWD is better in the snow. Just not sure how the V6 would handle the mountains.

Also considered is the Nissan NV2500 High Roof w/ the V8, but I think the cargo area is smaller and it doesn't look like the driver/passenger seats can swivel around. Does have the best warranty though.

This is probably similar to starting a ground up/down thread, but let's hear some opinions...
zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8,514

The shootout between those types of vans shows the Ford as the best and the Nissan as the worst.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/com...n_2018_choices

2014 but, if they haven't changed that much, a good read.
http://www.autos.ca/trucks/quick-com...ram-promaster/
GroundFighter 78 likes this.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Southeast Power For This Useful Post:
zoltan (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 04:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 52

From what I know the Ecoboost has lots of power. If you use it tho the fuel economy isn't the greatest. I would recommend the promaster. I drive one and I like it a lot. It has a lower floor height and you can stand up inside no problem. The v6 is the one FCA uses for everything and it has decent power. Mine is a diesel so I can't tell you how a gas one would drive, but I don't think mountain driving would be a problem.
You could just rent one of each for a day and drive around to see how you like it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Forge Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8,986

I don't have a Promaster, but the Town & Country mini-van has the same V6. That engine has some pretty good power. We can load the little van up with people and stuff and have no problems going over the mountains here.

Now if it was truly loaded, I'm not sure.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:36 PM   #5
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,260

I bought a 2018 F150 pickup with the ecoboost in April. I was a little apprehensive about going with a V6, my trade in had a Triton V8.

I never owned a V6 before but I am very impressed with it, plenty of power and much better fuel economy that my other truck.

I don't plow or tow or anything so I chose the 150 over the 250 for a better ride since I spend all day bouncing around in an International 4700 bucket truck.
Signal1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Signal1 For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 08:14 PM   #6
MTW

Rewards Points: 9,492

I think turbo V6's are bollocks, give me an old fashioned V8. It takes horsepower to move a big metal mass down the road, period. The only thing modern fuel economy standards are doing is overworking small engines.
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,878

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
I think turbo V6's are bollocks, give me an old fashioned V8. It takes horsepower to move a big metal mass down the road, period. The only thing modern fuel economy standards are doing is overworking small engines.
Twin Turbo V6's have tons more torque sooner than NA V8's. I won't argue that NA is more reliable in the long term. Peak horsepower is usually on the top end of the 5.0 coyotes which makes less sense for a truck unless you're racing.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
TGGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:03 PM   #8
MTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGGT View Post
Twin Turbo V6's have tons more torque sooner than NA V8's. I won't argue that NA is more reliable in the long term. Peak horsepower is usually on the top end of the 5.0 coyotes which makes less sense for a truck unless you're racing.
Of course, but turbocharge a small V8 and you're doing even better. Bottom line, all these small V6's with induction are a result of the CAFE standards, nothing more. I think they will result in a lot of premature scrap metal someday.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:27 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,263

Suggestion - https://www.craigslist.org/about/bes...873367721.html
GroundFighter 78 likes this.
samgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:31 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,372

Quote:
Of course, but turbocharge a small V8 and you're doing even better. Bottom line, all these small V6's with induction are a result of the CAFE standards, nothing more. I think they will result in a lot of premature scrap metal someday.
In Europe we have been turbo charging cars for many years. Ford and gm have some kick arse engines that still have not made the american market due to the bad rep of early turbo charged cars sold in america.

Ford was smart and played a trick by calling a turbo a eco boost and a lot of buyers never realized what they were buying.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,534

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGGT View Post
Turbos are not new technology. Sure, they add more complexity to engines, but everything you buy in a store or online is moved by a turbocharged engine at some point in its travels.

Not gonna lie, though, I dont hate the 6.0l v8 in my GMC van.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #12
MTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpop View Post
In Europe we have been turbo charging cars for many years. Ford and gm have some kick arse engines that still have not made the american market due to the bad rep of early turbo charged cars sold in america.

Ford was smart and played a trick by calling a turbo a eco boost and a lot of buyers never realized what they were buying.

We're not talking about cars here, we're talking about removing V8's from large heavily loaded work trucks and replacing them with turbo V6's. I'm saying that's a bad idea. I know plenty of people who have the new Transits with either ecoboost or with the 3.7L V6 and the fuel mileage is still pretty terrible. What a surprise.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #13
MTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
Turbos are not new technology. Sure, they add more complexity to engines, but everything you buy in a store or online is moved by a turbocharged engine at some point in its travels.

Not gonna lie, though, I dont hate the 6.0l v8 in my GMC van.
The 6.0 V8 is an awesome engine, nobody will ever convince me that a small turbo V6 is an acceptable substitute.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #14

Quote:
We're not talking about cars here, we're talking about removing V8's from large heavily loaded work trucks and replacing them with turbo V6's. I'm saying that's a bad idea. I know plenty of people who have the new Transits with either ecoboost or with the 3.7L V6 and the fuel mileage is still pretty terrible. What a surprise.
The only way to get the listed mileage is to stay out of heavy boost.

1.) With tiny responsive turbos that is difficult.

2.) Boost is where the power comes from.

I've never viewed the EcoBoost as a means to get better mpg, just similar mileage with more power. More boost always means more fuel. It is deceptive marketing on that note, but they out tow and out accelerate the V8's easily and are very easy to get large gains from tuning alone.

I'd only consider ecoboosts if I was trading in every few years. Naturally aspirated is just better for long term maintenance. Not sure about the small turbo diesels yet.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,468

Rather than a high service cost turbo six,
I would go for a small v8 without turbo,
You will pay a lot less cost wise in the long run.
Cause turbo's require plenty of maintenance.
Better off without it.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,372

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
Rather than a high service cost turbo six,
I would go for a small v8 without turbo,
You will pay a lot less cost wise in the long run.
Cause turbo's require plenty of maintenance.
Better off without it.
Whats so special about servicing a turbo charged engine. It still a basic oil change and injector cleaning. The oil may cost more as its synthetic but its not a huge difference. (synthetic go longer between services and fuel injector cleaner is cheap)

The days of engines failing due to wear are long gone.(not counting rotary) Engines fail now due to design flaws and that's a crap shoot based on how much money they tried to save building it.

modern chevy V8 can shut down half the engine and run as a 4 cylinder so may be its not a 6.0 V8 but more of 2 x 4 cylinders strapped together.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpop View Post
Whats so special about servicing a turbo charged engine. It still a basic oil change and injector cleaning. The oil may cost more as its synthetic but its not a huge difference. (synthetic go longer between services and fuel injector cleaner is cheap)

The days of engines failing due to wear are long gone.(not counting rotary) Engines fail now due to design flaws and that's a crap shoot based on how much money they tried to save building it.

modern chevy V8 can shut down half the engine and run as a 4 cylinder so may be its not a 6.0 V8 but more of 2 x 4 cylinders strapped together.
Direct injection without port injectors or oil vapor/blow by catchcans will gunk up the intake valves and runners overtime. Boost tubes leaking , turbo wastegate actuators not working correctly, etc. There's simply more that can go wrong in the long run. I just don't imagine seeing many 2013 ecoboost f150s on the road in 20 years.

I'm not saying I wouldn't use one for work, I'm just saying I wouldn't expect to keep it around for more than 6-10 years without expensive maintenance.