Furnace question - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree15Likes
  • 4 Post By matt1124
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 2 Post By matt1124
  • 1 Post By HandyManDan928
  • 2 Post By matt1124
  • 1 Post By eddy current
  • 2 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By Speedy Petey
  • 1 Post By Dennis Alwon
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 10:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 26
Default Furnace question

Hello,

I recently purchased a new home. I am still under warranty, and as of yesterday, both of my furnaces failed and one of my AC compressors outside failed along with my burglar alarm. I don't know the specifics, but one of the transformers was roached on one unit and he suspected the fan motor or motherboard as well and the other one was receiving power, but not working so he thought it was the motherboard. Neither of the fuses had tripped on either unit.

The builder is trying to say that a power surge occurred, and that it is my responsibility to repair, but none of my breakers flipped and I never lost power to any of my other appliances. In addition, nobody in the immediate area had any issues.

Well, when the HVAC guy came today to fix at least one of the furnaces (thank god, its 90+ degrees during the day), he stated that it wasnt a power surge at all, but he suspects that both of my two furnaces are tied to one supply line and that is what caused the failure. He said they should each have their own dedicated power supply and its written in all the of the books.

I stated since this incident that I was going to get a whole home surge protector installed, but he said that wont help if that is indeed the case that both furnaces are tied to one supply line (I suspect that the alarm system comes off that supply line as well).

Is there any clout to this information? Could there be another explanation? Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

Having both furnaces on the same circuit can be problematic, especially if they use IBTL control logic.
zac, MTW, tjb and 1 others like this.

Last edited by matt1124; 06-08-2018 at 10:39 PM. Reason: im a goof and can't get letters right
The Following User Says Thank You to matt1124 For This Useful Post:
Tx_new_home (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 10:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1124 View Post
Having both furnaces on the same circuit can be problematic, especially if they use ITBL control logic.

Thanks for the quick response. I don't know what ITBL control logic is, but these furnaces are Honeywell and are both part of a new construction less than a year old. I blew my lid when he told me it was my responsibility; I just cant imagine a scenario where a both furnaces less than a year old fail with no real sign of a power issue. I just want to make sure it doesnt happen again.

I have the warranty electricians coming on Monday to install a whole home surge protector anyway, I am going to have them see if both furnaces are actually being supplied by one line. If this is the case, would I have a case to dispute and have it remedied under warranty? I live in Texas if that helps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #4
Magic Smoke Remover

Have you talked to honeywell about it? I would imagine they wouldn't have an issue at least with the parts, surges happen. I've only ever had a claim with their thermostats, so I'm not sure about their brand of motors.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Have you talked to honeywell about it? I would imagine they wouldn't have an issue at least with the parts, surges happen. I've only ever had a claim with their thermostats, so I'm not sure about their brand of motors.
I am doing this through the builder and warranty department. I havent thought of speaking directly to Honeywell. I just can't imagine both BRAND NEW furnaces being damaged in less than a year and it somehow is my fault or something I have to pay for in a brand new home?
Old 06-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
Registered Member

I have no idea what all of those pictures mean: I am not an electrician, nor to do I claim to be one. In fact, I thought that was pretty clear. And I am not planning on doing any of this myself. What was the point of that?
Old 06-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_new_home View Post
I have no idea what all of those pictures mean: I am not an electrician, nor to do I claim to be one. In fact, I thought that was pretty clear. And I am not planning on doing any of this myself. What was the point of that?
You do not belong on this forum!
MTW likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
Old 06-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #8
Magic Smoke Remover

Quote:
I am doing this through the builder and warranty department. I havent thought of speaking directly to Honeywell. I just can't imagine both BRAND NEW furnaces being damaged in less than a year and it somehow is my fault or something I have to pay for in a brand new home?
Each builder and sub is different. I figure in a couple trouble calls into the initial cost to the builder. I'd just have the supply house warranty the parts, factory should have built a better motor. I might even get to double dip and get labor credit from the factory.

If it's one that we put in with the builder, no way in hell I'd let them get away with one circuit. I'm always on the electrician to read the data plates of my equipment and size his accordingly if we are only doing the HVAC.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #9
Magic Smoke Remover

Mech, don't spoil my fun now...
MechanicalDVR and tjb like this.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Is this not for electrician talk? Isn't the point of this to help people? Why are you such a douchebag?
Are you an electrician?

This isn't homeowner talk!

Old 06-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 98

... well , i know that it doesn't help much but , in AZ it's been like 107 for a week straight ... and yeah the bigger AC in the front part of the house wore itself out ... nice ! ... however , "he suspects that both of my two furnaces are tied to one supply line and that is what caused the failure." ... surely both units are NOT on the SAME BREAKER at the panel ...??? That's practically impossible ... a "surge protector" won't do anything at all about that FUBAR ... , call the AC guy to clarify that statement ...that is HUGE if it's what I think you are trying to say ... the 2 things don't jive with eachother , no circuit breakers popped and 2 AC's on the same "supplyline" ... you either have breakers that are arc-welded in in on position (unlikely ) or the AC guy is a "slow learner" ... sounds like Monday is reckoning day ...
Tx_new_home likes this.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #12
Magic Smoke Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Are you an electrician?

This isn't homeowner talk!
I'm an electrician and I own 7 homes, thank you!
MechanicalDVR and Tx_new_home like this.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:55 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyManDan928 View Post
... well , i know that it doesn't help much but , in AZ it's been like 107 for a week straight ... and yeah the bigger AC in the front part of the house wore itself out ... nice ! ... however , "he suspects that both of my two furnaces are tied to one supply line and that is what caused the failure." ... surely both units are NOT on the SAME BREAKER at the panel ...??? That's practically impossible ... a "surge protector" won't do anything at all about that FUBAR ... , call the AC guy to clarify that statement ...that is HUGE if it's what I think you are trying to say ... the 2 things don't jive with eachother , no circuit breakers popped and 2 AC's on the same "supplyline" ... you either have breakers that are arc-welded in in on position (unlikely ) or the AC guy is a "slow learner" ... sounds like Monday is reckoning day ...
yeah, its like mid 90's here in TX. Thats why I am trying to figure out the cause of it and hopefully find a solution so it doesnt happen again. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2018, 10:55 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 7,520

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
You do not belong on this forum!

Is this not for electrician talk? Isn't the point of this to help people? Why are you such a douchebag?
Are you an electrician? Like you said, this is electrician talk.

This is not new home owner talk.

Call an electrician
MechanicalDVR likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to eddy current For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 10:55 PM   #15
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
I'm an electrician and I own 7 homes, thank you!
I only own one but i have gifted several to exwives!
telsa and Tx_new_home like this.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #16
Magic Smoke Remover

Quote:
OHHh I am sorry! I thought you were messing with me haha sorry. I don't have a Porsche or a home in the Hamptons. I was just looking for advice. Sorry!
I was gonna say, you might want to get a surge protector put on that hampton home
Old 06-08-2018, 11:01 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
I was gonna say, you might want to get a surge protector put on that hampton home

Old 06-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 556

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
Bird dog likes this.
Bird dog (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 1,266

Guys, we would really appreciate it if you just report these threads rather than engage the op. It really doesn't make us look good when this stuff goes on.
Service Call likes this.
Closed Thread