garage door receiver to turn on lights. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By B-Nabs
  • 4 Post By B-Nabs
  • 2 Post By samgregger
  • 1 Post By 3DDesign
  • 1 Post By wendon

Old 03-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 698
Default garage door receiver to turn on lights.

I have a customer that wants parking lot lights controlled from a garage door clicker. I have a clicker and receiving unit from a garage door opener that work. when you push the clicker it closes a set of dry contacts for about 1/10th of a second. Of course i need the lights to stay on until the next time the clicker is clicked then they would go off. 3 ways I have thought of doing this.
1. smart relay that would read the dry contact closure and then close another relay output that would stay closed until it was activated again then it would stay open. (existing definite purpose contactors with 120 v coile)

2. arduino with external relay. (same as 1)

3. alternating relay and ice cube relay that would seal in and then break the seal with the alternating relay.

Seems like this would be simpler somehow. Any ideas?
no internet connection is available. They lights are powered from a separate service in the middle of a 5 acre parking lot. They have 5 forklifts they want an opener in.
garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 466

mechanically held contactor
The_Modifier, telsa and Cl906um like this.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 698

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nabs View Post
How does it release?
garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 466

When it gets a pulse of electricity, it changes state. When it gets another pulse of electricity, it changes state again. They are commonly used in low voltage lighting relay panels, but they can be had as a standalone thing. Google mechanically held contactor and do a little digging, I'm sure you'll find something that works for you in this application.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,183

Also called a latching relay
sbrn33 and The_Modifier like this.
samgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,072

Lift Master App on my iPhone controls my garage door and lights, but you need a WiFi internet connection
wendon likes this.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25,884

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nabs View Post
Bingo, no doubt about it.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:06 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,072

Most Gates use latching relays.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:38 AM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 54

What brand opener does he have? Liftmaster/Chamberlain have controls like this available, don't they? I've used one made by Chamberlain that was designed to turn on a lamp etc. and used the output to control a relay. I use Lutron Caseta to control the lighting in my shop, and a Pico with a visor clip to control them from the truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
99cents likes this.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:05 AM   #10
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,673

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendon View Post
What brand opener does he have? Liftmaster/Chamberlain have controls like this available, don't they? I've used one made by Chamberlain that was designed to turn on a lamp etc. and used the output to control a relay. I use Lutron Caseta to control the lighting in my shop, and a Pico with a visor clip to control them from the truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Have you tested it to see how far away it works?
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:28 AM   #11
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,030

There is some variation with what people call a latching relay, which makes it harder to google things. What ABB calls a latching relay (E290) operates on an impulse of control current, latches mechanically for continuous duty, and alternates on and off. The minimum impulse is 50ms so your opener should work. They have a good variety of control voltages but contacts only up to 32A at 230VAC.

https://library.e.abb.com/public/940...0_EN_Final.pdf
telsa (03-05-2017)