Generac install - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 10-07-2014, 01:48 PM  

Rewards Points: 87
Default Generac install

Installing a 17kw generac guardian series. How many conductors do I need between ats and generator? Does this number change if I want to add a normally closed contact for a hot tub? Which contacts do I need to tap for the coil of said contact? What voltage coil should I get?
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2014, 01:50 PM  

I know it's a lot of questions. But I also know there are many of you that know this stuff by heart.
Thanks all
Old 10-07-2014, 02:27 PM  

Do you have a wiring diag?
You need 4 , 5 if you have the load shedding option.
I've never tried to tap off to to contactor but I would guess you could use the same terminal the solenoid for the gen transfer .
12 dc.
But I'm sure other guys here would know more!

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2014, 10:40 PM  

Rewards Points: 1,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyremonkey
Installing a 17kw generac guardian series. How many conductors do I need between ats and generator? Does this number change if I want to add a normally closed contact for a hot tub? Which contacts do I need to tap for the coil of said contact? What voltage coil should I get?
You need 6. N1, N2, T1, 0, 194, 23. As far as the contactor. They sell an accessory for generac units that is an enclosed contactor for load shedding. There will be terminals on the load shed boArd in the ats for these connections. I believe its a 120v control now
Old 10-07-2014, 10:55 PM  

Rewards Points: 534

Is the transfer switch a 200 amp switch with built in load shedding or are you installing a 16 circuit panel?
Old 10-07-2014, 11:10 PM  

Its a 200 amp
Old 10-07-2014, 11:10 PM  

Rewards Points: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricJoeNJ View Post
You need 6. N1, N2, T1, 0, 194, 23.
Those are the signal lines. I'm probably stating the obvious, but in addition you will need the 4 wires for the generator power (2 hot legs, a neutral and a ground). Are you running power and signal in separate conduits? If not, watch your voltage rating on the signal lines. You will need wire rated rated at least as high as the power conductors.

You can get away with 18 ga signal wires, but most pull 14 ga.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:15 PM  

I'm using teck cable. Rated for 600 volt. Trying to find 8 conductor (in case load shedding module's in the genny's enclosure
Old 10-07-2014, 11:20 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyremonkey
I'm using teck cable. Rated for 600 volt. Trying to find 8 conductor (in case load shedding module's in the genny's enclosure
It shouldn't be, but then I'm not from Canada.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:20 PM  
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Rewards Points: 2,927

care to post any pics?
Old 10-07-2014, 11:21 PM  

[QUOTE="RFguy"] Those are the signal lines. I'm probably stating the obvious, but in addition you will need the 4 wires for the generator power (2 hot legs, a neutral and a ground). Are you running power and signal in separate conduits? If not, watch your voltage rating on the signal lines. You will need wire rated rated at least as high as the power conductors. You can get away with 18 ga signal wires, but most pull 14 ga.[/QUOTE

Yeah I meant to add that to my post, but I forgot.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:39 PM  

Rewards Points: 619

Quote:
It shouldn't be, but then I'm not from Canada eh.
fixed for ya.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:52 PM  

Default Generac install

If only this thread were aboot healthy Canadian accents
Old 10-08-2014, 07:33 AM  
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 182

They have an all in one power and control cable (tray cable I believe) designed just for this. I'd have to look and see whether its available and whether you can use it in Canada. I usually run two conduits. One for line voltage and one for the 12v. Others have said it correctly, you need the six control wires and the four power conductors. The question is whether you are going to drop out the hot tub or load shed it. Either method is done at the transfer switch. Load shedding requires a PMM kit and maybe additional PMMs if you have additional loads. To drop the load requires an additional contact bolted to the side of the switch that changes state with the movement of the transfer switch. You also need a contactor that can handle the hot tub as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to nrp3 For This Useful Post:
Magnettica (10-09-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 07:45 AM  

Hey nrp3, have you installed a eaton gen lately?
They are asking for shielded control wires.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:00 AM  
Can't Remember

I know the air cooled are basically Generac with different transfer switches. I am set up to service them, but have only seen them in pictures truthfully. Anytime I see something like that I'd go with seperate conduits. Which model are you working with. I'll have to look it up.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:08 AM  

It was in the spring I did a install.
I used a guardian transfer sw up that I had in the shop with the eaton gen.
While I was scanning through the install/Manuel noticed the shielded cable thing.
It was a 16kw if I remember correctly.
Didn't use shielded cable and it worked fine.
Probably just a Canada thing!😄

Old 10-08-2014, 09:34 AM  
Can't Remember

Could be. The low voltage wiring is pretty forgiving in that it's not data, etc, just 12v that changes polarity in the case of #23. The other two just carry 12v dc.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:47 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmacanada
It was in the spring I did a install. I used a guardian transfer sw up that I had in the shop with the eaton gen. While I was scanning through the install/Manuel noticed the shielded cable thing. It was a 16kw if I remember correctly. Didn't use shielded cable and it worked fine. Probably just a Canada thing!dde04 Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com
I did an eaton last year that has the newer generac controller in it with an eaton transfer switch and it didn't need any control wiring, just the utility sense and battery charger line. it was crazy.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:00 PM  
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,291

Quote:
I did an eaton last year that has the newer generac controller in it with an eaton transfer switch and it didn't need any control wiring, just the utility sense and battery charger line. it was crazy.
Last generac I hooked up was the same- 4 control wires total.
Drudge Report