generac questions - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By trentonmakes
  • 1 Post By flyboy
  • 1 Post By J F Go
  • 1 Post By flyboy

Old 12-21-2018, 05:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,114
Default generac questions

I have a couple of questions about generac generators and load shedding.
If someone has a moment can you PM me?
drspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,708

Sure...
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 138

You guys need to share this info.....

I'm all curious now

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
J F Go likes this.
trentonmakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2018, 07:29 AM   #4
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 683

Is this a secret?
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:33 AM   #5
Small Potatoes

We'll share it with everyone except those from NJ.
MikeFL likes this.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2

Come on man. This waiting up all night to see the secret info is killing me. And just so you know I've got a secret too, so there.
HackWork likes this.
J F Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,114

No secret. I just don't check the forum often but I get PMs emailed so it's just easier that way.
drspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by drspec View Post
No secret. I just don't check the forum often but I get PMS emailed so it's just easier that way.
your wife emails you her PMS ?

damn.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
Small Potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildleg View Post
your wife emails you her PMS ?

damn.
I'd rather PMS came by email too.
wildleg likes this.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #10
Small Potatoes

Here were the questions:

What is the largest wire size the ground bar will accept in the 200 amp ats?

When load shedding the AC what thermostat wire do you split?

Also if I load shed the AC do I also need to load shed the electric heat? If so can I is the ac spots in the ats or do I need the wireless load shed module?

Here are the answers from one of my electricans because I wasn't sure:

Hi Bill.
#1: I believe 2/0
#2: Y or C doesn’t matter
#3: Heat and A.C are seasonal so I wouldn’t believe both would be necessary. However, if it must be, then I would get a smm wireless load shed module.

Hope it helps, Nick
Old 12-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #11
Mensa Player

The fact that heat and air conditioning are seasonal is the reason why I would think you would have to shed both of them. They are not additive, one works when the other one doesn’t. And they both use a similar amount of power. So if you have to shed the air conditioning in the Summer, wouldn’t you also have to shed the heat in the winter?

Or I could ask that question in the opposite direction. If the generator could handle the heat, then shouldn’t it be able to also handle the air-conditioning?
Old 12-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #12
Small Potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
The fact that heat and air conditioning are seasonal is the reason why I would think you would have to shed both of them. They are not additive, one works when the other one doesn’t. And they both use a similar amount of power. So if you have to shed the air conditioning in the Summer, wouldn’t you also have to shed the heat in the winter?

Or I could ask that question in the opposite direction. If the generator could handle the heat, then shouldn’t it be able to also handle the air-conditioning?
I see your point, but an a/c does draw more then a boiler, or for that fact just a furnace. What is common is shedding the a/c during the summer on those marginal capacity generators.

Most people we sell generators to want both seasons of their HVAC to work and we size them accordingly.

Some really big residences that have three or four or more HVAC systems occationally get one or two shed, but I tell ya, anymore, 95% of our generator installations are whole house transfers.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,336

I just shed them all. I tell them if it gets cold to turn the oven on and open the door.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #14
Mensa Player

Electric heat in my area is unheard of two to the electricity prices. I thought that electric heat drew more current than air conditioning for the same size house. My mistake.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:49 PM   #15
Small Potatoes

Quote:
Electric heat in my area is unheard of two to the electricity prices. I thought that electric heat drew more current than air conditioning for the same size house. My mistake.
No, your correct, same here, electric heat is more expensive then HVAC. Gas or oil heating systems are less.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #16
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,396

Quote:
Simple electric heat works by creating eat from electricity and ultimately the efficiency of all types will be pretty similar, there's a direct watt to BTU conversion.

Air conditioning and heat pumps move heat, the heat pump people claim the same amount of electricity that generates one BTU can move four BTUs. The problem is in the winter you're trying to extract heat out of the outdoor cold air and move it indoors, the system isn't so efficient when the outdoor air is cold.

You're also looking at a smaller temperature differential with cooling, usually you're trying to get what 90°F down to 70°F, 20° swing, in winter you're trying to get 20° outside and 70° inside, so it's a bigger job.

You can keep a medium sized house tolerable cool in the hottest weather with two big 15A window units, you can't keep a medium sized house livable on a cold day with two 15A space heaters.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #17
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,396

As for cost - I have a friend that lives in a town with community electric (cheaper than the usual utility rates) and he claims baseboard is higher than gas or oil but not too bad, but with a heat pump your bill can be lower with electric.