General Contractors BS?? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 99
Default General Contractors BS??

so I just submitted a bid on a house yesterday and I get a mesage from the contractor today that he got a couple bids and that I was the highest

he is offering to give me some more information?? and to give me a chance to re submit my bid?

I want to know what the other bids came in at for sure but I sure as hell do not want to be bidding against myself...at the same time I would be willing to shave a bit off the bid too

not sure how to go forward
Jamie7613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Tell him the price is firm. You're worth the extra (IF there is an "extra" involved --- he could be blowing smoke up your ...)

If you back down this time, you'll never be able to place a firm bid without being chewed down.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
CADPoint (06-28-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 81

It is always easy to say your price is firm and I do all the time. But... I will say "maybe we aren't pricing the same things" let's see if I can cut a few extras out. We'll only do 1 porch light and load up the LR circuit etc and resubmit the price if I need the work.

Goodluck I want to say stick to your guns
buddyyemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

We deal with a bunch of different guys that ask us to rework bids. They will show us the other numbers and ask if we can do it for that. We reach compromises. Just biz, thats all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chris Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Kennedy For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (06-28-2012), NY ELECTRIC (06-30-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyyemen View Post
It is always easy to say your price is firm and I do all the time. But... I will say "maybe we aren't pricing the same things" let's see if I can cut a few extras out. We'll only do 1 porch light and load up the LR circuit etc and resubmit the price if I need the work.

Goodluck I want to say stick to your guns
I was figuring its a custom home so I figured everything in 12-2 except for the smokies and did the circuits by room for the most part

so if he wants to go to 14-2 for the general use and wants to max out the circuits then I can rework the numbers its not going to amount to much
Old 06-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie7613 View Post
I was figuring its a custom home so I figured everything in 12-2 except for the smokies and did the circuits by room for the most part

so if he wants to go to 14-2 for the general use and wants to max out the circuits then I can rework the numbers its not going to amount to much
Unless it's spec to do that, why would you ever?

I always bid spec (or code if no spec) and if there are things that really should be added or upgraded I submit as an extra with the bid.
Jeff000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

The hardest part is the whole apple to apple thing. I make sure they know I use better panels more circuits ect. Then I'll take off a little but not much. Most just want to feel like they won something.
Theriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 15,378

Coming down in price is never a good idea.. once you open that door.. every job that comes across your desk will come with the same message.. can you work for less..
Old 06-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
felonious smile.

Rewards Points: 572

I always bid minimum for GCs, then get expensive with add ons and change orders. They just want to see the lowest number. 14/2 , plastic ceiling boxes, max # of devices on ckts. Your giving him a custom price while your competitors are bidding minimum code.
Rebid it to minumum code.
mdfriday (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
Jesus Scott

Rewards Points: 232

Quote:

If he has more info why would you NOT look at it? Take a look, go over your bid, and bid it to minimum code. If you are't willing to negotiate you're in the wrong business.
electricmanscott is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to electricmanscott For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 14,714

Quote:

Did the GC know this? I'd bet the lower numbers did not have it this way.

Since the GC called you to talk to you about this, it could mean he wants to deal with you. Time to put on your sales hat. Don't buck up. Talk with (not to) the GC. Let him know the extra expense you had and why you included it (you were just trying to make sure the GC looked great to their customer long term). Tell him you really would like to do the work and thank him for the opportunity to have a 2nd look. Ask him what his priorities are.

Sell sell sell. You don't make money by being the cheap guy, you make money by convincing the customer you are worth the money.

Good luck.
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
crispy critter

Rewards Points: 1,026

Theres no need to wire everything in #12. Bid the house as the code requires. If he wants EXTRAS do so with a written change order after you already have the contract.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 434

Screw it I never come down on a price when they try to play that game!
JHFWIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 3,432

Quote:

Your not going to get very many quotes wiring a home this way. Plus it's not really any better job. I run 14-2 for everything I possibly can. I would rather run 2 14-2 circuits than 1 12. I hate 12 in a resi job.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

New info = completely new price.

One discussion to be ready for, though ..... he's going to shuffle different bids and somehow deducethat you charge $123 per outlet or $45 per sqare foot or some such shortcut. Then, later, he'll claim your most recent price is off because 'last time you said ..."

Remember: you never said any such thing. You gave one price for one job. Period.

Also: right about approach #3 you need to tell him you want to see some $$$$ for all the design time you're putting in.
Amish Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #16

Just got off the phone and he said his other quotes were like 1/3 of mine and even after dumbing it down to bare code minimum I would have to let it go without any overhead or profit to come close to their numbers.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,208

Quote:
Just got off the phone and he said his other quotes were like 1/3 of mine and even after dumbing it down to bare code minimum I would have to let it go without any overhead or profit to come close to their numbers.
Typical GC.

Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:
macmikeman (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 500

The others were like 1/3?

He's not only blowing smoke, he's showing his contempt for you.

Your reply needs to be:

"I reviewed my figures, and I found a few errors. My new price is $120% the first one. Don't bug me unless you're serious."
Amish Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amish Electrician For This Useful Post:
electricmanscott (06-28-2012)