Getting a Florida contractor's license by virtue of being a licensed engineer? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion


Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RePhase277
  • 1 Post By Southeast Power
  • 1 Post By MikeFL
  • 1 Post By McDaniel8402
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 26
Rewards Points: 46
Default Getting a Florida contractor's license by virtue of being a licensed engineer?

I've been in the electrical trade since 2002. Some of my work was in private industry, and some was for contractors. I'm looking to get my Florida EC license. I'm license in Texas, but there is no reciprocity between Texas and Florida. Generally speaking, Florida won't give credit for time in the field for ANYTHING that wasn't done while working for an electrical contractor. However, Florida does have a rule that lets you qualify to become an EC if you've held a professional engineering license for at least 3 years. I'm licensed as a PE, and will be up on 3 years in December this year.

Have any of you folks gone this route in Florida? I'd love to hear from someone with a Florida EC license that got it by way of being a licensed PE.

I'm trying to find out what other potential problems I could run into. Hoping none. I want to get licensed sooner than later.
McDaniel8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,885
Rewards Points: 1,360
Default

I don't know about the engineering side of it, but Texas does reciprocate with North Carolina, and North Carolina reciprocates with Florida. So through a round about way, you could get a Florida license that path.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #3
Retired Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: the Green Mountain state
Posts: 39,722
Rewards Points: 14,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDaniel8402 View Post
I've been in the electrical trade since 2002. Some of my work was in private industry, and some was for contractors. I'm looking to get my Florida EC license. I'm license in Texas, but there is no reciprocity between Texas and Florida. Generally speaking, Florida won't give credit for time in the field for ANYTHING that wasn't done while working for an electrical contractor. However, Florida does have a rule that lets you qualify to become an EC if you've held a professional engineering license for at least 3 years. I'm licensed as a PE, and will be up on 3 years in December this year.

Have any of you folks gone this route in Florida? I'd love to hear from someone with a Florida EC license that got it by way of being a licensed PE.

I'm trying to find out what other potential problems I could run into. Hoping none. I want to get licensed sooner than later.
You need to find a mutual state, or hopscotch through mutual states

Yeah, it's a b*tch

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
86 45 20
 
Southeast Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,738
Rewards Points: 8,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePhase277 View Post
I don't know about the engineering side of it, but Texas does reciprocate with North Carolina, and North Carolina reciprocates with Florida. So through a round about way, you could get a Florida license that path.
It can't be done that way. They look for that.

MikeFl was on the board and knows about these kinds of things.
Are PE licenses issued state by state?
RePhase277 likes this.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:41 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
MikeFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 5,387
Rewards Points: 2,872
Default

I can look into this. You can send me a short resume in outline form and it doesn't even need to have your name on it.
What kind of TX license do you have? How long have you held that?
What kind of engineering have you been working on? Electrical? What kind of projects?
Any 3 phase experience?
How much electrical experience do you have where you worked in the electrical industry for employers where you got a W-2?
MechanicalDVR likes this.
__________________
Michael Gookin, President
GPS Timers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 26
Rewards Points: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Power View Post
It can't be done that way. They look for that.

MikeFl was on the board and knows about these kinds of things.
Are PE licenses issued state by state?
Correcto on the "no hop scotch" bit. I was going to go that route until I learned that they don't permit it.

As for PE licenses, yes, they're issued state by state, although the rules required to get a PE license are "typically" a WHOLE lot more consistent across the various state boards than an electrician license is. There are some states that have some pretty weak regulations in place, and if you get licensed in one of those states you may have trouble getting a license in other states.

The FE and PE exams are the same no matter where you take them, and they are written by a group called NCEES. Most states are in line with what NCEES calls "model law engineering requirements", which is a 4 year bachelor's degree in engineering or a related science from an ABET accredited university, 4 years of engineering experience under the supervision of a licensed engineer, and 3 letters of recommendation from licensed engineers who are familiar with your work, all of that together with a passing score on the FE exam and the PE exam. Texas is where I originally got my license, and Texas rules are in line with model law requirements, so I can get a PE license in any of the 50 states pretty easily. I'm currently license in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Florida as of a few days ago.

I did talk to MikeFL and he was quite helpful. I was going to wait until next Spring to go for my Florida EC license, but based on what he told me, I qualify for it now. Once the dust from the move gets settled, I'll get the exam scheduled and file for a license.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
McDaniel8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 59,296
Rewards Points: 1,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDaniel8402 View Post
Correcto on the "no hop scotch" bit. I was going to go that route until I learned that they don't permit it.

As for PE licenses, yes, they're issued state by state, although the rules required to get a PE license are "typically" a WHOLE lot more consistent across the various state boards than an electrician license is. There are some states that have some pretty weak regulations in place, and if you get licensed in one of those states you may have trouble getting a license in other states.

The FE and PE exams are the same no matter where you take them, and they are written by a group called NCEES. Most states are in line with what NCEES calls "model law engineering requirements", which is a 4 year bachelor's degree in engineering or a related science from an ABET accredited university, 4 years of engineering experience under the supervision of a licensed engineer, and 3 letters of recommendation from licensed engineers who are familiar with your work, all of that together with a passing score on the FE exam and the PE exam. Texas is where I originally got my license, and Texas rules are in line with model law requirements, so I can get a PE license in any of the 50 states pretty easily. I'm currently license in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Florida as of a few days ago.

I did talk to MikeFL and he was quite helpful. I was going to wait until next Spring to go for my Florida EC license, but based on what he told me, I qualify for it now. Once the dust from the move gets settled, I'll get the exam scheduled and file for a license.
Sounds like a good plan.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Florida unlimited electrical license experience requirements CoreyJ General Electrical Discussion 2 10-17-2016 09:12 AM
Licensed Journeyman Electrician - Paynesville, MN Tradesmen Recruiter Looking To Hire 2 06-08-2016 03:51 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com