Getting power to tables in warehouse - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree32Likes

Old 04-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,525
Default Getting power to tables in warehouse

So I have a bit of a unique situation. A good customer of mine failed a fire inspection because they are using extension cords to get power to 3 tables and 1 desk. These tables and desk are about 5'-10' away from the nearest wall. The cords all come out of 1 20A outlet box, the power is used for very basic things such as a couple scales and a computer. The fire inspector doesn't want any extension cords used.

The customer is in a leased warehouse and they have plans to move next year when the lease is up, so they don't want to spend any more than they absolutely have to on this one thing, since it's only to pass the fire inspection anyway.

Dropping power down from the 40' ceiling could be a pain and more expensive than they are looking for. So I am looking for some type of on-floor solution. Maybe those rubber mats that have the hole for wiring?

Suggestions?
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8,926

What do they use the floor for, assembly? Do pallet jacks, pushcarts or forklifts need to go through the area?
MechanicalDVR and circuitman1 like this.
Switched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 8,926

I have used this a few times in office areas, but never in a warehouse facility. I would be worried about damage in a warehouse where more than high heels and a vacuum might attack it.

http://www.legrand.us/wiremold/ofr-series-raceway.aspx
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Switched is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #4
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
What do they use the floor for, assembly? Do pallet jacks, pushcarts or forklifts need to go through the area?
Good question. The floor between the tables is just for walking, no pallet jacks or anything like that. They have the cords taped down right now and I noticed that they were in really good shape and hadn't been rolled over.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,181

https://www.amazon.com/Large-Drop-Ov...dp/B01EJZFWD6/

Large enough to put some BX through
samgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 980

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Good question. The floor between the tables is just for walking, no pallet jacks or anything like that. They have the cords taped down right now and I noticed that they were in really good shape and hadn't been rolled over.
Then either of the two covers suggested here would work out fine.

Mention to them they can also reuse the covers anywhere they move.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #7
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,996

If you want something ON the floor, I like wiremold 1500. It is easy to work with. Some feel it is too much of a trip hazard, I feel like it's not really different from the threshold on a doorway.

http://www.legrand.us/wiremold/racew...r-raceway.aspx
Old 04-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 114

Run conduit and cover it with a yellow ramp. Pretty standard solution for industry.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk
Knightryder12 and splatz like this.
Flyingsod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:17 AM   #9
Mensa Player

The Wiremold doesn't seem warehouseish enough. I like the idea of running 1/2" EMT on the floor, but I need to find the proper protection for it that the fire inspector won't call a trip hazard.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #10
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

String an aircraft cable from wall to wall over the desks and support cord drops from it?
MechanicalDVR and Krolman like this.
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #11
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
The Wiremold doesn't seem warehouseish enough. I like the idea of running 1/2" EMT on the floor, but I need to find the proper protection for it that the fire inspector won't call a trip hazard.
The proper warehouseish thing to do is just hide the benches behind pallets stacked hiqh with boxes until the inspector leaves, then tape the extension cords to the wall, the floor, the table, and the equipment with about a six layers of packing tape.
Flyingsod and RePhase277 like this.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:55 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2

From the ceiling run SO cord and a strain relief

Or

Rigid conduit to single gang threaded malleable iron box with nipple to floor with floor flange securing it to floor.

I'm sure they don't want to spend much money, but them being able to remain open for business will make it easier to pay their bill.
drewsserviceco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Over head run with strut post.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #14
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsserviceco View Post
From the ceiling run SO cord and a strain relief
This really shouldn't be that expensive, the cost is going to be a 40' scissors lift. A 40' ceiling is a real PITA.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:08 AM   #15
Mensa Player

I exaggerated the height of the ceiling because I really don't know what it is, but it seems higher than usually, at least 30'. But they have large forklifts and a man-cage that I could use to do the work, so no scissor lift needed.

If I could run 1/2" EMT on the floor and properly protect it and make it safe from tripping, it would be easier than running pipe all the way up to the trusses and then having drops.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #16
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePhase277 View Post
String an aircraft cable from wall to wall over the desks and support cord drops from it?
Nice down and dirty!

Old 04-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #17
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
I exaggerated the height of the ceiling because I really don't know what it is, but it seems higher than usually, at least 30'. But they have large forklifts and a man-cage that I could use to do the work, so no scissor lift needed.

If I could run 1/2" EMT on the floor and properly protect it and make it safe from tripping, it would be easier than running pipe all the way up to the trusses and then having drops.
I am not a fan of the fork lift cages because they never volunteer their best driver to run you around, in fact they usually give you their least useful. Bring one of those DIY breathalyzers and make him sober up before you strap in.

Well what do you feel makes it safe from tripping? If it's on the floor, you can have a little bump (pancake raceway) or a big bump (ramp over conduit) but that's about it.

The only other options are under the floor or overhead. After that the only dimension left to move in is time. You could rent a time machine and do it in 1915 when nobody cared about safety, but I imagine that will cost more to rent than the scissors lift.
Flyingsod likes this.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:34 AM   #18

Quote:

Im not understanding why you would have to run all the way up. If there's no tow motor traffic behind the desks just bridge over from the wall.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
I am not a fan of the fork lift cages because they never volunteer their best driver to run you around, in fact they usually give you their least useful. Bring one of those DIY breathalyzers and make him sober up before you strap in.

Well what do you feel makes it safe from tripping? If it's on the floor, you can have a little bump (pancake raceway) or a big bump (ramp over conduit) but that's about it.

The only other options are under the floor or overhead. After that the only dimension left to move in is time. You could rent a time machine and do it in 1915 when nobody cared about safety, but I imagine that will cost more to rent than the scissors lift.
Thanks to a co-worker explaining this to me, we now absolutely refuse to go up on a fork truck basket unless it's one of us driving it. No way no how do I trust my life to someone I don't even know.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #20
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingsod View Post
Im not understanding why you would have to run all the way up. If there's no tow motor traffic behind the desks just bridge over from the wall.

Would still need hangers coming down off the trusses / framing.