Electrician Talk banner

GFCI or not

3K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  crw16 
#1 ·
Doing repair work in older dwelling. Some Existing recepticle wiring is old 2 comductor cloth with no ground conductor. Thoughts on using GFI recepticle instead of 2 prong recepticle. Will the GFI provide better protection? By code, like for like, I can only install 2 prong devices at these locations.

#5 ·
The down side of the GFCI method is people will think the devices are grounded even with the required stickers stating otherwise. If the customer is using surge protectors and there is no ground wire then they will not work effectively. One job I was on, the Media Room guy would not guarantee his equipment because there was no ground present. Also if replacing receptacles you might have to use AFCI / GFCI receptacles if you are following the code.

#13 ·
It is an attitude instilled into people by Hollywood. I don't think electricians in foreign places have to go thru this as much. F'n Hollywood did this to us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.