Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GFCI tripping from exhaust fan.

14K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Dennis Alwon 
#1 ·
Working on a new construction Basement bathroom install. I ran a dedicated feed to a GFCI outlet then out the Load terminals to a secondary plug and the light and fan switches (the fan is in the shower stall and must be GFCI protected). When I turn the fan off, it will sometimes trip the GFCI. I was thinking the spinning fan motor was generating EMF, so I tried a double pole, single throw switch to break both the positive and negative wires at the same time. Still tripping the GFCI. Tried running a second wire from the line side of the GFCI to the fan. Still tripping the GFCI when I shut off the fan even though it should be bypassing the GFCI. What is going on?

#6 ·
I've swapped out the Pass and Seymor GFCI for a Leviton and had the exact same issue. I've tried three different, all brand new, GFCI outlets with the same issue. I really can't figure out how the fan is still tripping the GFCI now that I am feeding the fan from the LINE terminals . I should be bypassing the GFCI and it will still trip!

#8 ·
I don't think there is anything wired incorrectly as the situation is when the fan is turned off not on. The turning off of the fan is creating some time of interference so I am thinking that your only fix is to change the fan. Try a different fan without actually installing it and see what happens.

#11 ·
I had a similar issue a few months ago. It was a panosonic fan light. When the fan switch was turned off it would trip the bath gfci. I didn't mess around trouble shooting the fan. Bypass the gfci altogether.
I would double check you're infact landed on the correct line terminals.
Just a thought.

#14 ·
#15 ·
Well you got away with this thread being as I see you are not an electrician. This forum is really for electrical trade people so I need to close this thread at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.