Give a flower - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree35Likes

Old 04-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #1
tjb
Cool Kid

Rewards Points: 363
Default Give a flower

We had some new guys come through recently. Let two go because theyíre weíre awful electricians. Kept one guy but Iíd have let him go too. Not an awful sparky, just slow and whiny and the type of guy to do the bare minimum possible.

Point of my post is that he constantly wears a sweatshirt, and has a sticker on his hard hat, that has the DILLIGAF thing on it. I mean, come on. Youíre starting a new job, new crew, new foreman, etc, and you want to advertise your crummy attitude like that?

I get it that itís something we can all chuckle at. But this guy seriously acts like it. Like he doesnít give a flower. For him, itís truth in advertising. SMH.
micromind and armsjac like this.
tjb is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
Russian Bot

Rewards Points: 3,867

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
Kept one guy but Iíd have let him go too. Not an awful sparky, just slow and whiny and the type of guy to do the bare minimum possible.

Point of my post is that he constantly wears a sweatshirt, and has a sticker on his hard hat, that has the DILLIGAF thing on it. I mean, come on. Youíre starting a new job, new crew, new foreman, etc, and you want to advertise your crummy attitude like that?

I get it that itís something we can all chuckle at. But this guy seriously acts like it. Like he doesnít give a flower. For him, itís truth in advertising. SMH.
He's a perfect fit for the Unions.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 116

Aaaand it starts......
Helmut likes this.
joe-nwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,310

Quote:

Give him a replacement sticker CLM- Career Limiting Move
micromind, tjb and Signal1 like this.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,606

I must be old. I had to look up what DILLIGAF meant. Not a guy I would want on my team for a newbie coming to work like that
jw0445 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:50 PM   #6
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 1,960

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw0445 View Post
I must be old. I had to look up what DILLIGAF meant. Not a guy I would want on my team for a newbie coming to work like that
I had to look it up too.

I bet plenty of customers knows what it means though, who needs that?
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,463

Ask him if he does GAF. Then tell him it doesn't look like it. See if he figures it out.
tjb likes this.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #8
Russian Bot

Dfdgaf
Old 04-02-2019, 08:59 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 940

I wouldn't want to work for someone who gets their ass hairs in a twist over a hard hat sticker.
Southeast Power (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 09:00 PM   #10
Trained Monkey

Rewards Points: 236

The person with that sticker on their hard hat just broadcasts to the entire job site that they do not belong there.

I highly equate this to the people that show up to dispatch wearing sweats or basketball shorts wearing flip flops. How hard is it to show up ready to work, and actually caring about the quality of the work you leave behind?
Old 04-02-2019, 09:02 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25,356

Does it look like he should be employed?
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:03 PM   #12
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 1,960

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingBubba View Post
The person with that sticker on their hard hat just broadcasts to the entire job site that they do not belong there.

I highly equate this to the people that show up to dispatch wearing sweats or basketball shorts wearing flip flops. How hard is it to show up ready to work, and actually caring about the quality of the work you leave behind?
Except Hawaii
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:04 PM   #13
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 7,498

Quote:
We had some new guys come through recently. Let two go because theyíre weíre awful electricians. Kept one guy but Iíd have let him go too. Not an awful sparky, just slow and whiny and the type of guy to do the bare minimum possible.

Are these guys you called out from the hall?
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
I wouldn't want to work for someone who gets their ass hairs in a twist over a hard hat sticker.
It is not about me or you it is about the customer and what they think or do not think.

May sound trivial, but it is important.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:16 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 7,520

There are tons of guys who collect funny stickers on their hard hats, toolboxes, whatever and that’s fine.
But the guys who preach this stuff I have no time for.
micromind and glen1971 like this.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eddy current For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 09:24 PM   #16
Russian Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
There are tons of guys who collect funny stickers on their hard hats, toolboxes, whatever and thatís fine.
Wacky Stickers are the best.
MikeFL likes this.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:46 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 634

I'm pretty sure electrical work is the kind thing you should give a crap about doing correctly. If I got wheeled into a surgery room with a doctor wearing something like that, I'd be running out of there backless gown or not. Can you get away with a hack install? Can a surgeon get away with a poorly executed appendectomy? Maybe, but let's not.

All that aside, I don't see why a new guy would want to advertise that they'll need a babysitter. Crazy stickers are cool (you need to have at least 37 pieces of flair!) but we're not really talking about hardhat stickers here, we're talking about people who actually demonstrate a lack of responsibility for what they're doing. I like a relaxed work environment which only persists in good faith that people will do their job correctly. When there's too many people who don't give a crap, everyone loses. "This is why we can't have nice things."
micromind and splatz like this.

Last edited by Rora; 04-02-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Rora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:15 PM   #18
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,300

In my experience, just about everything in the trades is based on respect.

Pretty hard to respect a person who has such a sticker on his hardhat.........
brian john and armsjac like this.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #19
tjb
Cool Kid

Rewards Points: 363

All the comments about ďitís just a stickerĒ I get and agree with. I do wacko stickers too. But heís also wearing the sweatshirt every day like itís his blankie. Itís just a bad impression, coupled with the fact that he also works like he doesnít GAF. If he were a great worker, I wouldnít think twice.

The hall sent him - our local is trying to start a CW/CE thing, and itís not going great so far.

Nothingís twisted in a bunch. Not sure you read my OP - there was nothing there even close to freaking out. Just think itís a piss poor first impression to make and unfortunate that his real attitude matches his sweatshirt and sticker.
tjb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:34 PM   #20
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,410

If he was a great worker, you wouldn't be making this post.

My point is, I get that you wouldn't let him go just because of this, but he sounds like a [email protected], and this just happens to be one more reason you think he's one. That's all. I get it.

For the record, I'd have a hard time with this too. At our shop, we're looking for good WELL ROUNDED guys that have good judgement. Someone with this on their clothes every day would indicate to me a deeper character flaw that wouldn't fit in with the working environment we're trying to maintain with our guys.

Bottom line.....NEXT!
99cents and tjb like this.
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote