Good wifi stat for commercial application - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MDShunk

Old 07-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #1
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,302
Default Good wifi stat for commercial application

I have a project coming up where I'm going to install 11 thermostats on a large boiler replacement job. I'm pushing to install wi-fi stats for all 11 zones. The heating contractor is supplying stats but I need to get them to supply the right one instead of the basic Honeywell Pro series that they will likely supply.

The Nest, Ecobee, Lyric and other fancy touchscreen ones are out of the question. I'm looking for a basic wi-fi stat. Any suggestions?
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

My suggestion is to come to your senses and keep the bleeding edge stuff out of such a large job until the marketplace has proven them out for at least a decade.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #3
MTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
My suggestion is to come to your senses and keep the bleeding edge stuff out of such a large job until the marketplace has proven them out for at least a decade.
Are you messing with me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2018, 09:48 PM   #4
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
Are you messing with me?
No.
Hey, I'm a tech person, but I'd have a real struggle specifying wifi stats on a job with 11 zones. That's 11 potential ways for things to go wrong for reasons that would be near on impossible to troubleshoot on the same job.
MTW likes this.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,026

Im confused are you talking about home thermostats that are wifi capable or are you wanting to network the stats to the boiler controls?
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:07 PM   #6
MTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpop View Post
Im confused are you talking about home thermostats that are wifi capable or are you wanting to network the stats to the boiler controls?

Wifi capable stats. This is a basic baseboard system with the stats connected to Taco SR-xxx series relay controls.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:29 PM   #7
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
Wifi capable stats. This is a basic baseboard system with the stats connected to Taco SR-xxx series relay controls.
Okay, okay. I thought you didn't want to run wire and wanted all 11 stats on a wifi network to something at the boiler. It will be 11 wired sats with a wifi feature for whatever somebody wants to log in and fuss with. That might fit my comfort level better.

For my money, if it doesn't say Honeywell on it, it's not worth buying.

Finding something that's just one stage of heat plus wifi might be the tricky part. I guess that's why you're asking.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:43 PM   #8
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,000

Why do you want the thermostats to be wifi, to get smart / automation features, or to get those features without running new wires?
Old 07-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #9
Wire Ninja

FWIW, we have one of these in our one lab at work. Nobody really adjusts it or uses the app for anything, and it's only been installed less than a year. I'm probably the only one that even knows it has an app. I can't give you much of a good/bad rating on it. It's basic, and that's about all I can say about it. Not super excited about the brand. I think Lux is a Grainger house brand. Wish it didn't take batteries, but you pay dear for a model that does not.

https://www.grainger.com/product/PRO...rmostat-45KE77
Old 07-22-2018, 10:55 PM   #10
MTW

Quote:
Okay, okay. I thought you didn't want to run wire and wanted all 11 stats on a wifi network to something at the boiler. It will be 11 wired sats with a wifi feature for whatever somebody wants to log in and fuss with. That might fit my comfort level better.
Yes.

Quote:
For my money, if it doesn't say Honeywell on it, it's not worth buying.

Finding something that's just one stage of heat plus wifi might be the tricky part. I guess that's why you're asking.
I'm in the "Honeywell only" camp myself, and yes, a basic wi-fi heat only model doesn't seem to exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Why do you want the thermostats to be wifi, to get smart / automation features, or to get those features without running new wires?
For ease of programming or changing the weekly schedule and ease of monitoring in case someone overrides the weekly program manually at the stat, which was always a problem with the old system.

The system is wired and roughed in.

Quote:
FWIW, we have one of these in our one lab at work. Nobody really adjusts it or uses the app for anything, and it's only been installed less than a year. I'm probably the only one that even knows it has an app. I can't give you much of a good/bad rating on it. It's basic, and that's about all I can say about it. Not super excited about the brand. I think Lux is a Grainger house brand. Wish it didn't take batteries, but you pay dear for a model that does not.

https://www.grainger.com/product/PRO...rmostat-45KE77
I'm pretty sure Lux is a value brand of Robershaw, or at least it used to be. All the new Honeywell wi-fi stats that I have installed required the "c" wire connection as the wi-fi feature drains batteries far too quickly.

That model is around the right price point, but I'll have to look into it further.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:33 AM   #11
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,000

If you go with wifi thermostats, you're going to have a headache every time they change the wifi network. Let's say they give you the public wifi password to use. Security questions aside, if for whatever reason they change that, you'll have to come back to reprogram 11 thermostats.

If you go with hardwired, you'll have far fewer problems, but it sounds like it's too late to rewire. There are commercial grade thermostats that use a pair on the thermostat wire for control / communications. Then there is a bridge device that lets you communicate with these devices from the network, you only have to wire the bridge to the network. But I think these are going to be out of the budget, the commercial systems are expensive.

It's not really commercial grade but if you use a z-wave or zigbee wireless thermostat, that can communicate with a smart hub such as Samsung Smartthings. The smart hub can be wired to the network (some can - some are wifi only...) and the thermostats communicate with the smart hub, the smart hub communicates over the network with the app.

These might work, they're don't appear to get great reviews but they might be way over the heads of the homeowners that are reviewing them:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywel...20ZW/202915615

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...96619f7dee.pdf

Again there are commercial systems that use zwave or zigbee or some wireless communications between the devices but I think they're all pretty expensive.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 136

I jumped on many a early band wagon and got bruised when bounced off. Piggybacking on somebody else's network is by no means trouble free, even though they approve. You will be at their mercy for the wi-fi.
GrayHair is offline   Reply With Quote