Ground Wire!!! - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By HackWork
  • 2 Post By Roger
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2
Default Ground Wire!!!

Hiya, I need help... Currently I am fixing an outlet and my granny's but it does not have a ground screw on the switch... But on the old switch it does. Where shall I put the ground wire that was in the switch before?

I was thinking in the switch box/junction bo

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2017, 04:38 PM   #2

Are you wiring an outlet or a switch?
Old 11-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faiz1234 View Post
Hiya, I need help... Currently I am fixing an outlet and my granny's but it does not have a ground screw on the switch... But on the old switch it does. Where shall I put the ground wire that was in the switch before?

You should call an electrician before you kill your granny.
The_Modifier and Jamato like this.
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 328

A SWITCH does not need a ground wire. Receptacles do. Boxes have to be bonded if they are metal. Otherwise you just need to secure it so it won’t hit the hot or neutral, and connect to any other grounds such as one connected to the fixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulengr View Post
A SWITCH does not need a ground wire.
You might want to read 404.9(B)

Roger
electricguy and samgregger like this.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2

I've sorted it out.. I just need to fit the ground wire to the box instead of the switch.. it's got a ground screw

Old 11-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faiz1234 View Post

Trying to help a bit, I hope i understand you situation. The old switch had a grounding screw and the new one does not, as I understand. Go to your ACE store or HD and buy a switch with grounding screw. The grounding wire serves as shock protection. If the cover plate is made of plastic not much to worry about the ground ( i didn't say this)

Last edited by Peter Goldwing; 11-24-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:13 PM   #8
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Please go to our sister site for this situation.,,

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.