Grounding Grain Bins - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 61
Default Grounding Grain Bins

I have a customer that wants to ground 4 grain bins on his farm. Has anyone ever done this before? Did you just attach a lug to bin, then wire to ground rod? If so how did you attach then lugs?
boots 211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Electric Al

Rewards Points: 2,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots 211 View Post
I have a customer that wants to ground 4 grain bins on his farm. Has anyone ever done this before? Did you just attach a lug to bin, then wire to ground rod? If so how did you attach then lugs?

Could you not bolt a lug to each grain bin, then daisy chain to a ground rod?

Steven Wright
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,028

Quote:
Yes. Good question. I have always been taught to ground to the system grounding/bonding structure. Not to indiscriminately drive rods or install other electrodes.
But then again this is a subject of its own. I will be listening.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 160

You might ask your customer why he wants the grain bins grounded. If it is for preventing explosions from static electricity, then you should purchase NFPA 77 & go from there. If it is for lightning protection, IMO, your customer should be referred to someone that specializes in lightning protection systems.
boots 211 (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

The grain bins are probably bolted to large bolts sunk deep in concrete. If that's the case they are already grounded pretty good. Kinda like light poles. Is this an engineering spec or?
nitro71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nitro71 For This Useful Post:
John Valdes (02-16-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,660

The grain bins are probably bolted to large bolts sunk deep in concrete. If that's the case they are already grounded pretty good. Kinda like light poles. Is this an engineering spec or?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would tend to agree with the above statement, but the bins are probably not bonded to each other. Often, the augers and conveyors that transfer grain to or from the bins, are not connected mechanically to the bins. This can create an arc potential due to the static buildup when transferring dry, dusty grain. Grain dust is VERY flammable.

Lightning protection is a whole different world with almost limitless variables, but there is usually a generic, to your area, method of lightning protection that most locations use with acceptable results.
varmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 61

Actully the way these bins are put together is to start with top and add side then lifting it up with cable jacks and then add more side, then the final section has mounting angle that are anchored with bolts and lag anchors. So they are not really grounded well. I thought about using lugs on the anchor bolts but they have to be too big to accept a piece of # 6 copper.
boots 211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
Always Learnin'

Rewards Points: 500

On new construction I always have a section on rebar stubbed out at each concrete bin base for a Ufer. If there are multiple bins and grain will be transferred between them they are all bonded together with 4/0 cu.
If it is an existing bin/bins I drive 4 rods 90 degrees apart around the bin and connect each rod to the bin with #4 solid cu using a lug bolted to a base bolt at each point. Then bond the bins together with 4/0 cu. I have had customers request a ground ring of #4 bare solid cu trenched 18" deep all the way around the bin with #4 cad welded at 4 points and lugged to the bin at the 4 points. Either way should keep the bins at the same potential to avoid static discharge when transferring grain.
amptech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amptech For This Useful Post:
boots 211 (02-16-2012), frenchelectrican (02-16-2012), varmit (02-16-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,198

Quote:
Not that you don't know, but there is a difference between grounding grain bins and bonding them. If it is all concrete...no bonding.
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote