Grouping of disconnects on a duplex. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 10-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
Rest In Peace

Rewards Points: 7,003
Default Grouping of disconnects on a duplex.

Do you need to group your disconnects on a multi family dwelling? Is there an exception to not have to?
aftershockews is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 90

I think your install would fall under this illustration.
Attached Images

Cincycaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
Rest In Peace

In the picture below. 1 service drop. As you can see there is damage due to a tree branch hitting the drop which is attached to the mast that is pulled.
What would be required of you to repair this to code?
Attached Thumbnails
Grouping of disconnects on a duplex.-wp_20141009_004.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,498

With one service drop the discos must be grouped.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
With one service drop the discos must be grouped.
That is they way I always assumed. I think it is 230.72?
Anyways. I gave a price. HO claimed this happened before and they passed it without disconnects back in 2012.
I called code enforcement and was told not requred unless it is more than 3.
I am going to check out ammendments although I do not remember seeing an exception there.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 8,516

Has your jurisdiction has adopted and of the NEC code cycles this century?
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southeast Power For This Useful Post:
aftershockews (10-09-2014), Magnettica (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannis View Post
Has your jurisdiction has adopted and of the NEC code cycles this century?
We are on 2008 but still only AFCI protect bedrooms and do not require weather resistant receptacles for outdoor use.
I quoted this lady 2.5-3k to bring this up to code. But apparently what I see as code compliant is seen different to my jurisdiction.
This is why I stay confused.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

So if code enforcement grants an energizing permit w/o disco's , no worries unless they send the 'new guy' out Ashock?....~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #9
Very Long Vacation

Rewards Points: 5,262

Don't worry, some parts are like that round my neck of the woods. If it meets 110.12, it gets passed.
meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #10
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
So if code enforcement grants an energizing permit w/o disco's , no worries unless they send the 'new guy' out Ashock?....~CS~
I have not seen a new inspector since I have been in this trade, but it is a crap shoot as to what passes and what does not. This is why I rather do the work per code unless I have a local code that tells me different.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
Rest In Peace

I was looking through our local codes and can only find this.

Quote:
1501.3 Location of Disconnects in Multiple Occupancy Buildings. - Service disconnects for multiple occupancy buildings shall be located either outside or in a common meter room directly accessible to an outside entrance, or an accessible one-hour fire-resistant-rated corridor room. The common meter room shall be separated by a minimum of one-hour fireresistant-rated walls from the rest of the building. The outside entrance to the corridor and/or to the common meter room shall be properly identified and provided with a Knox box or equal for access.
Quote:
1601.2 Voltage of 250 Volts or Less. - On residential occupancies where voltage between conductors is 250 volts and less, the following requirements shall govern: 1. All multiple occupancy dwelling buildings may have the disconnecting means for each metered tenant grouped at the point of either underground or overhead service attachment. The disconnecting means for each metered tenant may consist of not more than six fused switches or six circuit breakers in a common enclosure or a group of separate enclosures. The disconnecting means for not more than 6metered tenants may be grouped at the point of service attachment. Groups of disconnecting means shall be separated by 10 feet or greater distance between adjacent ends to qualify as separate groups.

Last edited by aftershockews; 10-10-2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: found more