Guidance - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 09-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #1

Default Guidance

Hi everyone. I'm a retired US Marine Corps Recon/Sniper. When I retired I knew I wanted to become an electrician. I studied hard and passed my test and worked my way up to Master Electrician. Recently, I decided to try and startup my own service and go it alone. So far, I haven't received one call. So, my question is can any of you guys that have been successful at starting your own company give me some advice? I have a website, yelp, etc.

Thanks,
Mike
SemperFi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,611

Having a website is worthless, you need to do SEO to get your website to the top of the results when people in your area search for an electrician.

You also need to make sure that your profile across all the Google services is properly filled out.

There are many threads on this that I would recommend searching. It's all been spelled out many times.

As for Yelp, what companies come up when looking for an electrician in your town? You may have to get some reviews before your company comes up, or you may have to pay them to bump your listing.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply. I will make sure my SEO is set up correctly for my area and check that my yelp is too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 44

First- from a NAVY veteran, thank you for your service.

Ok- I started my business by going to the lighting show rooms asked them to give out my cards when people bought lights and needed it installed. These often led to service calls.
I'm not one for upselling things customers don't ask for, but I frequently sold ( aladen ) fixture lifts.
Soon I was installing $7,000 fixtures in $1 M houses do one a day in 4 hrs making $$$
Jobs where 90% labor vs mat'l
FF301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #5
German Spy

Rewards Points: 3,951

The phone won't ring, because no-one knows your out there.

My advice is this, spend your time while waiting for the phone to ring, to understand what a business plan is, and make one.

Talk to people in SC who have been in business for 10-15 yrs, regardless of what it is, and ask them for some advice. Pros and cons of running your own business and what to look out for.

I think they are the two most important right now.

You really need to understand finances also.

Good luck.

Where at in SC?
Old 09-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25,878

This topic has been beaten TO DEATH in the back threads.

Spend some time there. You'll thank me later.

&&&

There is ONE market segment that YOU can chase that will pay off: new home purchases -- new business start-ups.

Both are recorded at the county level. These days, that means many are accessible via the Internet, too.

Sellers, flippers and RE agents are rotten leads.

Buyers and new business owners are stellar leads.

PM WronGun for how my advice panned out for him.

If you JUST pursue new home buyers -- you'll soon have more action than you can handle.

To repeat, ALL new real estate purchases are recorded at the County level. Everywhere, all the time.

So you have a punch list of prospects of stellar quality right there in your face.

Further, by their neighborhood, you know a great deal before you even roll up to the door -- or send out a mailer.

DO NOT expect your best prospects to even know their way around the Internet.

You want Baby Boomers. The have the bucks... they don't have the bodies... so DIY has zero appeal for them.

The younger crowd... is rotten business for you... with single women being the worst of the worst.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
The phone won't ring, because no-one knows your out there.

My advice is this, spend your time while waiting for the phone to ring, to understand what a business plan is, and make one.

Talk to people in SC who have been in business for 10-15 yrs, regardless of what it is, and ask them for some advice. Pros and cons of running your own business and what to look out for.

I think they are the two most important right now.

You really need to understand finances also.

Good luck.

Where at in SC?
Thanks for the input. I live in Aiken SC.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,611

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi88 View Post
Thank you for the reply. I will make sure my SEO is set up correctly for my area and check that my yelp is too.
SEO isn't something to setup, it's a lot of work that you need to either learn how to do yourself, or pay someone lots of money to do it for you. Cheap SEO is a scam and will hurt you more than it helps.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
This topic has been beaten TO DEATH in the back threads.

Spend some time there. You'll thank me later.

&&&

There is ONE market segment that YOU can chase that will pay off: new home purchases -- new business start-ups.

Both are recorded at the county level. These days, that means many are accessible via the Internet, too.

Sellers, flippers and RE agents are rotten leads.

Buyers and new business owners are stellar leads.

PM WronGun for how my advice panned out for him.

If you JUST pursue new home buyers -- you'll soon have more action than you can handle.

To repeat, ALL new real estate purchases are recorded at the County level. Everywhere, all the time.

So you have a punch list of prospects of stellar quality right there in your face.

Further, by their neighborhood, you know a great deal before you even roll up to the door -- or send out a mailer.

DO NOT expect your best prospects to even know their way around the Internet.

You want Baby Boomers. The have the bucks... they don't have the bodies... so DIY has zero appeal for them.

The younger crowd... is rotten business for you... with single women being the worst of the worst.
Hey Telsa, thanks for the info. BTW, is there some trick I'm not aware of to send a PM? Every time I try it tells me I don't have permission or to login and try again. I know for a fact I'm logged in, so I don't understand why it would give that feedback.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
German Spy

Rewards Points: 3,951

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I live in Aiken SC.
There are some guys here on this forum, who are over by you. You down by the border. Hopefully they will chime in. Southern hospitality goes a long way in this game. I know there is a couple guys here from Augusta.

Cheers.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #11
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Quote:
Hey Telsa, thanks for the info. BTW, is there some trick I'm not aware of to send a PM? Every time I try it tells me I don't have permission or to login and try again. I know for a fact I'm logged in, so I don't understand why it would give that feedback.
Iirc, one has to assume a post count for certain functionalities to appear here 88

As to being an EC, my first go 'round was in the 80's , my last has been the last 20 years.

I'm on the 'back 9' of my career , like a lotta members here , my 'hotshot' days are over ,but there's plenty of 'em here

Good luck to you and your new biz

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 858

if you are doing residential, you should try homeadivsor or angie list, you basically pay for leads in your area.

for residential... you need to train yourself to give estimates on the spot and try to close deal on the visit. When i first started I use to give estimates out in the evening... It usually works well...you can do jobs during the day and most people aren't home till after 5 pm anyways.
Tonedeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25,878

Quote:
Keep posting and -- like magic -- you'll get Private Message rights.

It's dictated by your post count.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
Keep posting and -- like magic -- you'll get Private Message rights.

It's dictated by your post count.
At the time you login....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
inetdog is offline   Reply With Quote