Electrician Talk banner

Have C10 and working for another contractor without Jman card?

12K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  five.five-six 
#1 ·
So my Jman card expires in a couple of months. In order to renew it you have to do a manditory 32 hours of school ($250), and pay the licensing fee ($100). I just dont have the time to do this manditory schooling and cant see spending $350 to renew it... There is also no option to just pay the $100, go in and take the test again and be done with it.

I called the CSLB and explained that I have my C10, if I need the Jman card to work for another contractor. They said yes its manditory but couldnt explain why..

My question is why? All I can think of is just to give the state more $$:mad:

#2 · (Edited)
You have to have your certification to work for another contractor, here is a online option for the CEU'S.

http://www.castatetests.com/ You still need to spend money for it but you can do it at your pace & when spare time permits.

California just wants all your money, just get used to it,'cause the party in power thinks none the money you earn through your blood, sweat, & tears belongs to you.

#3 ·
The rules are straight forward. If you work as an employee for a C-10 you need your cert.

You have a few options. Work as a sub of the other C-10. Spend the 32 hours in a classroom environment. Do the course online in 8-10 hours. Contract with your C-10. Or do nothing. It's your call.

#5 ·
The rules are straight forward. If you work as an employee for a C-10 you need your cert.

You have a few options. Work as a sub of the other C-10. Spend the 32 hours in a classroom environment. Do the course online in 8-10 hours. Contract with your C-10. Or do nothing. It's your call.
Where is this course online for 8-10 hrs? Someone I talked to who renewed theirs said that the pages for the 32 hr online course have a timer and you cant just wiz through them and take the test at the end..

I still think there should be an option to just pay the $100 and go in to take the test again.

#4 ·
Its there money not yours:no:

California Approved CEU Courses:View List of Approved CEU Courses State Board:Contractors State License Board (CSLB)
9821 Business Park Drive
Sacramento, CA 95827
P.O. Box 26000
Sacramento, CA 95826
(916) 255-3900 Fax: (916) 366-9130
Automated Phone Response System: (800) 321-2752
www.cslb.ca.gov

Division of Apprenticeship Standards (DAS).
Electrician Certification
455 Golden Gate Avenue, 10th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 703-4919 Fax: (415) 703-5243
www.dir.ca.gov/das/das.html
Email: DAS@dir.ca.gov Licensing Requirements:Electrical Contractor C-10:
Other Classifications
Requirements:
•Anyone performing construction work in California that totals $500 dollars or more in labor and materials must be licensed by CSLB.
•Board approval before sitting for an exam; 4 years experience to qualify to take the exam. Experience must be at the journeyman, foreman or supervisor, contractor, or as an owner-builder.
•working capital of at least $2,500. In addition, all applicants must also file a bond with the Registrar in the amount of $10,000
Exam Given By: California Contractors State License Board by calling 1-800-321-2752
Candidate Booklet: Law & Business : Trade exam
Test NEC edition: 2005
Passing Grade: 72%
Exam There are two parts to the examination process. ALL qualifying individuals must pass the standard Law and Business examination; in addition, with the exception of the C-61 Limited Specialty Classification, qualifying individuals must pass a second test covering the specific trade or certification area for which they are applying.
License Application:
Application Fee: $250 other fees
Licensing Fee: $150
Renewal Active licenses expire every two years.
Renewal Fee: $300
Continuing Ed: None at this time.
License Reciprocity: Arizona, Nevada and Utah. The contractor must have held an active license in good standing in one of the reciprocal states for the previous five years

Electrician Certification
Requirements:
•All electricians who make connections of greater than 100 volt amps who work for C-10 Contractors
•successful completion of an approved apprenticeship program in the classification for which certification is sought; or
•on-the-job experience, as follows: General Electrician: 8000 hours of work for a C-10 electrical contractor installing, constructing or maintaining electrical systems covered by the National Electrical Code
Exam Given By: PSI 800-733-9267.You must first register with Electrician Certification Unit
Candidate Booklet:
DAS Test Information
Test NEC edition: 2002
Passing Grade: 70%
Exam 4 hours; 100 questions
Examination Fee: $100
License Application: Form; FAQs
Application Fee: $75
Licensing Fee:
Renewal Every three years; must have worked at least 2,000 hours.
Renewal Fee: $100
Continuing Ed: 32 hours of Continuing Education to renew certification.
License Reciprocity: For Electricians, your electrician's license acquired from other states will make you eligible to sit for the test.

Continuing Education Requirements:None for the State Contractors C-10 license
Electricians that work for State Contractors are required to take 32 hours of electrical education in order to renew their certificates every 3 years. NEC Adoption Date:2005 NEC: adoption of the 2010 California Building Code approved (2010 CA Res Code, 2010 CA Green BldgCode, and the 2010 CA Elec Code) - Target enforcement 1/1/11. The 2010 California Electrical Code (CEC) is based on the 2008 NEC with State amendments. Notes:N/A Date Updated:October 2009
Stay up to date with your state's recent Code Activity by visiting the Code Alerts Website: www.nema.org/stds/fieldreps/codealerts/

#6 ·
paul_arc said:
Where is this course online for 8-10 hrs? Someone I talked to who renewed theirs said that the pages for the 32 hr online course have a timer and you cant just wiz through them and take the test at the end..

I still think there should be an option to just pay the $100 and go in to take the test again.
The link in post 2. They are who I used. I flew through it.

#7 ·
•Anyone performing construction work in California that totals $500 dollars or more in labor and materials must be licensed by CSLB.

I find it funny that the hacks going around doing this type of work probably cause 90 percent of electrical fires, etc., but electricians working for a c-10 contractor have to be certified.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.