Electrician Talk banner

hazardous area enclosure

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  glen1971 
#1 ·
Hi i must use an enclosure for class2 div1 environment area (presence of combustible dust). Panel (nema9 and 4x) will have electronics devices (plc, relays and other 120v devices)
i was thinking of using type db panels series from killark
http://ecatalog.hubbell-killark.com/ecatalog/E-2.pdf

do you think it should be ok because before i was looking at another model from adalet wich was also nema9 class2 div1 and they told me it was only ok for terminals blocks inside :blink: and that i must use a panel with explosion proof rating (the big ones 1/2 thick for class1 div1)

#5 ·
Hi i must use an enclosure for class2 div1 environment area (presence of combustible dust). Panel (nema9 and 4x) will have electronics devices (plc, relays and other 120v devices)
i was thinking of using type db panels series from killark
http://ecatalog.hubbell-killark.com/ecatalog/E-2.pdf

do you think it should be ok because before i was looking at another model from adalet wich was also nema9 class2 div1 and they told me it was only ok for terminals blocks inside :blink: and that i must use a panel with explosion proof rating (the big ones 1/2 thick for class1 div1)
Who is "they"? As far as I know and interpret, so long as the box is dust proof and rated for Class 2 Div 1 you will be fine... What is your PLC rated for? Is an air purge required?

18-206:
"Switches, motor controllers, circuit breakers, and fuses, including push buttons, relays and similar devices, shall be provided with a dust-tight enclosure approved for Class II locations."

Even 18-222 (Signal, alarm, remote control, and communication systems, meter, instruments and relays) says "..shall be provided with enclosures approved for Class II locations..."

#7 ·
I'm not sure how the inspections work for Class 1 and Class 2, but if you put a relay or other electrical component into a box for a Class 1 installation, it will need to be inspected.. Is it the same for Class 2? If so, I'd make a call to the AHJ and get their take on it too..

Otherwise I'd say a Class 2 Div 1 rated enclosure will be fine, so long as you install seals as required and use wiring methods approved for it..

#8 ·
You can't just cram whatever equipment you like into the box and call it hazardous area, even if it's a hazardous area enclosure.

Also, as of 2012, Canada is still using NEMA div 1/2 for class II and class III environments, class I is IEC zone 0/1/2

I would not be surprised if it's changed in the new 2015 code.

"They" are likely the manufacturer or the sales folks, but the other enclosure he may have been looking at could have been an EX e enclosure, or a similar design marked Class II Div 2, which would not be suitable for incendiary components.

#9 · (Edited)

You can't just cram whatever equipment you like into the box and call it hazardous area, even if it's a hazardous area enclosure.

Also, as of 2012, Canada is still using NEMA div 1/2 for class II and class III environments, class I is IEC zone 0/1/2

I would not be surprised if it's changed in the new 2015 code.

"They" are likely the manufacturer or the sales folks, but the other enclosure he may have been looking at could have been an EX e enclosure, or a similar design marked Class II Div 2, which would not be suitable for incendiary components.

Who is "they"? As far as I know and interpret, so long as the box is dust proof and rated for Class 2 Div 1 you will be fine... What is your PLC rated for? Is an air purge required?

18-206:
"Switches, motor controllers, circuit breakers, and fuses, including push buttons, relays and similar devices, shall be provided with a dust-tight enclosure approved for Class II locations."

Even 18-222 (Signal, alarm, remote control, and communication systems, meter, instruments and relays) says "..shall be provided with enclosures approved for Class II locations..
."
The posted enclosure seems fine to me! ;)

Got to agree with glen1971 on this one. Code seems to be quite clear on the issue! :thumbsup:

But, I could be missing something.

Borgi

#10 ·
I know if you take a junction box and add relays and more than one voltage it needs to be CSA'd.. I know because I have 2 existing control panels that I retrofitted and need a CSA sticker on them before the inspector will pass it... This is in an unclassified area..

If we make a panel with a relay in it for a Class 1 Zone 2 area, it needs a CSA label, not just an inspector's label...

#12 · (Edited)
it will go through csa "special inspection", i have no choice to give up adalet (they have other series ok for it but too much $$$$), i will probably go with the db series.
i have found a lot of other enclosures but since i need nema 4x and class2 div1 it gives me less choices

Ok, I see what you guys are saying, but that shouldn't be a big deal, correct?

Wouldn't you get that done ahead of time, the enclosure is already approved, and the equipment should be, so getting the assembled unit approved should be straitforward.

I have had inspectors in Ontario do that at the site, but that was years ago.

I missed oliquir's post while I was typing, plus It's been a while, so I digress.

Borgi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.