Heating and Cooling Equipment Question - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By nrp3
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR

Old 06-14-2017, 02:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,292
Default Heating and Cooling Equipment Question

In regards to the furnace in the attic, specifically, what is required by code when you have 2 furnaces? Does it have to be (2) dedicated 120v, 20a ckts? Is it ok to run a MWBC to the furnaces?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
carryyourbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 04:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,049

Why wouldn't it be okay? An attic seems to be a strange place for a furnace. Let alone two. Are these oil burners, or natural gas, or...........?
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:36 AM   #3
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 956

Fairly common here, nat gas or propane.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #4
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,621

Forced hot air furnaces are common in attics.

Many of them are 120V, however they can also be 240V. Code requires them to be on a dedicated circuit. I don't know of any code that would stop those circuits from being a MWBC. Typically 15A is fine, but you need to check out the units to see the voltage and amperage.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,008

Attic furnaces and or air handlers are common in many areas, especially flood zones.

I've done an MWBC many times for dual furnaces with no problems.

Just don't forget you need emergency switches at the attic entrance and a service receptacle.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Attic furnaces and or air handlers are common in many areas, especially flood zones.

I've done an MWBC many times for dual furnaces with no problems.

Just don't forget you need emergency switches at the attic entrance and a service receptacle.
I believe that is only for oil. I have asked this question before and from what we all found, there is no requirement for a shut-off near the basement or attic entrance for natural gas fired furnaces, only by the furnace.

I definitely could be wrong.
drspec likes this.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I believe that is only for oil. I have asked this question before and from what we all found, there is no requirement for a shut-off near the basement or attic entrance for natural gas fired furnaces, only by the furnace.

I definitely could be wrong.
Not sure if it was just a local requirement but I know it is required in many locations for gas or oil fired units .
HackWork likes this.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #8
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Not sure if it was just a local requirement but I know it is required in many locations for gas or oil fired units .
Yeah, it could definitely be a local thing.

I noticed around here it was never done so I looked into it once before feeding a furnace and found the only thing was an old building code talking about oil.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Yeah, it could definitely be a local thing.

I noticed around here it was never done so I looked into it once before feeding a furnace and found the only thing was an old building code talking about oil.
I know in Deal and Allenhurst they required one at each basement entrance.

Plainsboro it was required for the attic furnaces but they have some other bizarre things they require.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:53 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,292

Quote:
Forced hot air furnaces are common in attics.

Many of them are 120V, however they can also be 240V. Code requires them to be on a dedicated circuit. I don't know of any code that would stop those circuits from being a MWBC. Typically 15A is fine, but you need to check out the units to see the voltage and amperage.
The reason I posed the question is I had an HVAC guy call me who is having a temper tantrum with his electrician. The HVAC guy and I are friends. They ran a MWBC to the 2 furnaces in the attic. When they spliced the neutral to run to the 2 units, they did a poor job. He was looking for a code reference to make him fix it. He said his equipment only asked for a 15a ckt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
carryyourbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:02 AM   #11
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post
The reason I posed the question is I had an HVAC guy call me who is having a temper tantrum with his electrician. The HVAC guy and I are friends. They ran a MWBC to the 2 furnaces in the attic. When they spliced the neutral to run to the 2 units, they did a poor job. He was looking for a code reference to make him fix it. He said his equipment only asked for a 15a ckt.
Code wise it is fine. But if that neutral comes unspliced it could be disastrous.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:10 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,114

done quite frequently here

just did an attic addition here and the electrical contractor that originally wired the house was so kind as to run a 14/3 to the original gas furnace installed. I was thankful because it would have been a pita to go through 3 floors, a crawl space and fish the panel.
drspec is offline   Reply With Quote