Heating Equipment - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,726

I was given a drawing for this new job and it shows 9 'heating coils' around the commercial unit. They are all 600v 3 phase and most are 2kw and a few 4kw. The drawing shows the main breaker as a 40A 3P. So I was thinking of running #8s to a centralized location and then tapping this location with #14 or #12 BX to each heating coil. I've never installed heating like this before. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Aegis; 02-22-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Aegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 18,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
I was given a drawing for this new job and it shows 9 'heating could' around the commercial unit. They are all 600v 3 phase and most are 2kw and a few 4kw. The drawing shows the main breaker as a 40A 3P.

So I was thinking of running #8s to a centralized location and then tapping this location with #14 or #12 BX to each heating coil. I've never installed heating like this before. What do you guys think?

What are you going to do for disconnecting means at each unit?, and does the nameplate call for fuse's?
Drudge Report
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
evil bastard

Rewards Points: 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
What are you going to do for disconnecting means at each unit?, and does the nameplate call for fuse's?
Land your 8's in a small load center and let each set of heat strips have their own breaker.
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #4
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 18,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclary's electrical View Post
Land your 8's in a small load center and let each set of heat strips have their own breaker.
That is what I was getting too, but first I wanted to see if the op realized he cannot just terminate a tap into an appliance.
Drudge Report
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:33 PM   #5

26-806 Heating equipment rated 117 kW and less

(4) The branch circuit shall be permitted to be tapped as necessary to supply the various pieces of associated equipment, but there shall be no overcurrent protection supplied in the tap to any piece of associated equipment the operation of which is essential to the proper operation of the heating unit, unless the control equipment is of such a nature that the heating unit will be shut down if the associated equipment fails to function due to the operation of the overcurrent device.

I was reading this in the code and was thinking this would apply. Each piece of equipment should come with it's own disconnect or install one, but I wasn't thinking of fusing each one after the tap. Unless this code doesn't apply.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,090

Quote:
I was given a drawing for this new job and it shows 9 'heating could' around the commercial unit. They are all 600v 3 phase and most are 2kw and a few 4kw. The drawing shows the main breaker as a 40A 3P.

So I was thinking of running #8s to a centralized location and then tapping this location with #14 or #12 BX to each heating coil. I've never installed heating like this before. What do you guys think?
What kind of drawing. Obviously no cable schedule or any detail, I will assume. I am not getting what a 'heating could' is, is this a typo?

I can assume you are using the CEC.

Borgi

Last edited by 51360; 02-22-2015 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Addition
51360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #7

'Heating coils' sorry, I'm using the CEC/Ontario code. These drawings are from an Engineer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aegis For This Useful Post:
51360 (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 09:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,090

Quote:
'Heating coil' sorry, I'm using the CEC/Ontario code. These drawings are from an Engineer.
Try Section 62. Many options.

If you could tell us the type of heating unit it is, that would be helpful. If you have that info available.

Borgi
51360 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 51360 For This Useful Post:
Aegis (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #9
MTW

Rewards Points: 10,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclary's electrical View Post
Pretty sure there's no such thing as a "small load center" for 600 volts.
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #10

Thanks Borgi.

Now I'm looking to see if I need disconnects near by, they'll probably be on these units when they arrive anyway.

62-114 (4) Where two or more fixtures, cable sets, heating panel sets, or parallel heating sets are grouped on a single branch circuit, the non-heating leads of cable sets and taps to cable sets, fixtures, and strip systems shall
(a) have an ampacity not less than one-third the rating of the branch circuit overcurrent device; and
(b) be not more than 7.5 m in length.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aegis For This Useful Post:
51360 (02-22-2015)