Help with career route - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree14Likes

Old 05-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22
Default Help with career route

Hey guys new here.
I'm in a crossroads and want some advice from someone in the know.

I have a 3 choises.

1. Work as a Hydro Electric Electrican apprentice at the Water plant for the county. Its union and a 4 year apprenticeship but I dont think its with the ibew.

2. Ibew aprentiship.

3. Go the non union route.

I'm also thinking of hvac because I live in a area that NEEDS hvac. 100 plus degree summers, freezing winters in soCal.
Thanks for reading this
BuickMan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,025

Go Hvac. Before Flyboy opened that arm of his shop , he could only fly a kite.
MechanicalDVR and splatz like this.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macmikeman For This Useful Post:
BuickMan8 (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 80

Everyone is going to tell you something different, for all different reasons. We have no idea where you are in your life, what your wants and needs are, etc. Each will have different opportunities and challenges.

Personally I like the county route for long term stability. You'll always know what you're going to have years into the future.

IBEW will get you the highest hourly wage and biggest bottom line W-2 in the good times but you might not have the long term steadiness and security you get from the county job during economic downturns.

HVAC is just another trade. Are you talking mom & pop shop or some union work? In the HVAC trade I'd expect you're going to be moving around more. Maybe that's what you want and maybe it's not.
splatz and Bird dog like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeFL For This Useful Post:
BuickMan8 (05-20-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 918

HVAC if you have the aptitude to be good at it.

You need a broad spectrum of cross trained knowledge and skills to be a good tech.
Tonedeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tonedeaf For This Useful Post:
BuickMan8 (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 01:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 178

Would the county apprenticeship qualify you to take the state jman test? If you ever go to another state, they may require 8000hrs etc to take their jman test.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bird dog For This Useful Post:
BuickMan8 (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
Everyone is going to tell you something different, for all different reasons. We have no idea where you are in your life, what your wants and needs are, etc. Each will have different opportunities and challenges.

Personally I like the county route for long term stability. You'll always know what you're going to have years into the future.

IBEW will get you the highest hourly wage and biggest bottom line W-2 in the good times but you might not have the long term steadiness and security you get from the county job during economic downturns.

HVAC is just another trade. Are you talking mom & pop shop or some union work? In the HVAC trade I'd expect you're going to be moving around more. Maybe that's what you want and maybe it's not.
Thanks for your time. I'm 33 with a new house and child. I alone work and can pay all the bill doing class b trucking. I can work hard and have my whole life, I COULD do all the grunt work but i would like to know there will be a future when my work would not be so physical.

As far as HVAC i was thinking moms and pops for 10years then opening my own buisness. That what I like about electrical that you can make money outside your 9 to 5 where in contrast a pipefitter would be harnessed down to limited opportunities (I used to do firesprinklers with my uncles)

So yeah I have alot to think about but I'm happy and optimistic for my family's future.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
Would the county apprenticeship qualify you to take the state jman test? If you ever go to another state, they may require 8000hrs etc to take their jman test.
I think I read something that it would set me up to be a journeyman.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedeaf View Post
HVAC if you have the aptitude to be good at it.

You need a broad spectrum of cross trained knowledge and skills to be a good tech.
Thank you for your post.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Flyboy=Thomas Edison???
MikeFL likes this.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #10
Senile Member

HVAC is easiest to make it working directly with businesses and home owners.
There is return revenue after you have worked enough years in business due to maintenance contracts you made along the way, such that company overhead can be completely covered and more due to just having a few men go do the filter changes and motor / gas checks monthly.

Most electrical contractors get nowhere near that. Most. Not all.

My take on electrical maintenance contracts: wishful thinking or selling policies to old widows when they really didn't need it . That's usually about it, unless you stick in some really complex system work in some big facilities.

Change my mind.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
BuickMan8 (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #11
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickMan8 View Post
Flyboy=Thomas Edison???

Nope. That was Benjamin Franklin.
BuickMan8 (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #12

Quote:
HVAC is easiest to make it working directly with businesses and home owners.
There is return revenue after you have worked enough years in business due to maintenance contracts you made along the way, such that company overhead can be completely covered and more due to just having a few men go do the filter changes and motor / gas checks monthly.

Most electrical contractors get nowhere near that. Most. Not all.

My take on electrical maintenance contracts: wishful thinking or selling policies to old widows when they really didn't need it . That's usually about it, unless you stick in some really complex system work in some big facilities.

Change my mind.
Thanks for that insight, that's something I would have needed to be told to make my next step. Oh old Bengie, that's my favorite president lol. Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickMan8 View Post
Thanks for that insight, that's something I would have needed to be told to make my next step. Oh old Bengie, that's my favorite president lol. Thanks again.
He wasn't ever President...
https://www.google.com/search?client...13.qqoYCaZaMbQ
The Following User Says Thank You to Bird dog For This Useful Post:
macmikeman (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #14

I get my Masons confused.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 282

You're in SoCal? I would stick with the hydro electric apprenticeship. You'll be working smarter not harder
stiffneck likes this.
QMED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #16

Another option is find an HVAC apprenticeship if available.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMED View Post
You're in SoCal? I would stick with the hydro electric apprenticeship. You'll be working smarter not harder
Yeah I'm in the high desert area in between Palmdale and Victorville. Thanks for your post.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
Another option is find an HVAC apprenticeship if available.
Thanks Bird Dog. appreciate all the help.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:16 AM   #19
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 92

I would consider the big building controls companies in your area, Johnson Controls, Honeywell, etc. In this area they are organizing new hires into the union and paying them way over scale, and having trouble finding good people.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:21 AM   #20
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,775

Quote:
My girlfriend tells me to do this all the time.
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote