Help with voltage loss - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
Default Help with voltage loss

Can't figure this out, I have a customer that on one circuit has 3 kitchen recessed cans, that then feeds a study light, that then feeds a bedroom light that then feeds 1 receptacle, and two receptacles.
The issue is when ever the iron is plugged into either receptacle, the study and bed lights dim by 4.8V.
I checked every connection for a loose neutral or loose connection but that wasn't it.
I then noticed that the kitchen lights only dip 1.1V, so I thought there must be either a nail or screw in the wire from the kitchen switch to the study switch, where I am stuck; is the 1.1V dip on a load normal?
I don't want to run a new wire and then find that the lights still dim due to the 1.1V dip
I know this maybe obvious or basic to you guys but I just cant get my head around it.
Auselect is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 300

I think you're seeing perfectly normal voltage drop. For an iron drawing 12A, I get a voltage drop of about 5V for a 75 foot circuit.

-John
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,464

Sounds like old wiring.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric
Sounds like old wiring.
The home is only 3 years old
Old 06-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John
I think you're seeing perfectly normal voltage drop. For an iron drawing 12A, I get a voltage drop of about 5V for a 75 foot circuit.

-John
Then why do I get 5V at the study - which is upstairs, and 1.1V in the kitchen - which is on the first floor???
Old 06-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 318

Is there backstabbing along the circuit?
Dash Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auselect View Post
Then why do I get 5V at the study - which is upstairs, and 1.1V in the kitchen - which is on the first floor?
Could be a number of things: Are these two circuits of different lengths? Are they different gauge wiring? Or is this the same circuit being measured at two different points?

Voltage drop changes with circuit length and conductor size. The drop at the middle of a circuit will be less than the drop at the end of that same circuit.

-John
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
Could be a number of things: Are these two circuits of different lengths? Are they different gauge wiring? Or is this the same circuit being measured at two different points?

Voltage drop changes with circuit length and conductor size. The drop at the middle of a circuit will be less than the drop at the end of that same circuit.

-John
Basically this. Also amount of load on the circuit as mentioned above.
Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote