Electrician Talk banner

High Hz on new portable generac

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Senad 
#1 ·
Anyone have this issue? I was reading over 160 Hz.

#2 ·
Just for the heck of it, try plugging in a load, little heater, coupla light bulbs, hair dryer, etc. and check it again.

#7 ·
I called generac and explained it to them. Tech told me it needs service and its covered under warranty. Something is wrong I'm not experienced enough to see what it is could be many things. But this is a first for me. I have read 50 Hz because generator had wrong fuel setting. Plumber never set it for propane internally and it was pre set for NGas. So I adjusted that and had 58 Hz which is acceptable.

#10 ·
I always check. U have to check. U should check. I talk to guys who are contractors and they have never checked. I'm like wtf. But now I see why I have to check. A little research goes a long way, lets be honest no one knows everything especially if you are doing the same thing over and over and you have to do something you have not done. Customer was very happy and pissed at the same time. That's why this forum is great, now there may be someone here reading this that will start testing the Hz. Otherwise getting sued also hurts, lol.

#12 ·
Was that motor screaming or what? They should be a photo board or centrifugal switch at the end of the bell. It should have a couple wires to it. Check corrosion on terminals and continuity of wiring harness. Use interwebs to find service procedure for speed control. Or give me make and model and let me try to find it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.