Home Wiring Question - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By macmikeman
  • 1 Post By sbrn33
  • 1 Post By The_Modifier
  • 1 Post By Signal1
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #1

Default Home Wiring Question

So I need a little help guys. I used to work as an apprentice electricician, mainly commercial, so I know quite a bit but still need help cause this is driving me crazy.

I wired and installed 6 Dimmable LED lights in recessed cans with a dimmable LED switch (120v). When I turned them on you can barely tell they’re lit. . When I measured hot to ground and I get 118v. Neutral to ground I get 50v. But when I measure hot to neutral I get 55v. I can get the the lights to fully work if I tie the neutral to the ground on the switch.... I don’t feel comfortable wiring it this way as I don’t want the house to burn down. Any thoughts or ideas? Is this considered an “open neutral”?
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,923

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtaylor025 View Post
So I need a little help guys. I used to work as an apprentice electricician, mainly commercial, so I know quite a bit but still need help cause this is driving me crazy.

I wired and installed 6 Dimmable LED lights in recessed cans with a dimmable LED switch (120v). When I turned them on you can barely tell they’re lit. . When I measured hot to ground and I get 118v. Neutral to ground I get 50v. But when I measure hot to neutral I get 55v. I can get the the lights to fully work if I tie the neutral to the ground on the switch.... I don’t feel comfortable wiring it this way as I don’t want the house to burn down. Any thoughts or ideas? Is this considered an “open neutral”?

You forgot how to spell electrician. You been away for much too long for us to help you out here.
MechanicalDVR and drsparky like this.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #3

Lmao “forgetting how to spell” is different from a simple typo.... Douche. Trying to type my post into this thread on my phone while talking to two people at the same time. Simple mistake. Thanks for the great input tho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtaylor025 View Post
Lmao “forgetting how to spell” is different from a simple typo.... Douche. Trying to type my post into this thread on my phone while talking to two people at the same time. Simple mistake. Thanks for the great input tho
Don't be an asshole and go hire a real electrician. Do you hate your family so much that you want them to die?
cad99 likes this.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
Don't be an asshole and go hire a real electrician. Do you hate your family so much that you want them to die?
And how is that being a asshole? You actually care that someone sleeps in that house? I would say that asshole here is the one trying to be an electrician. Public safety is what we trained for and should be the only ones permitted (“allowed” in homeowners language).
Just like Carbon monoxide and other invisible killer attributes, I am surprised that there isn’t a betrayer vetting system involved in the forum. It is a liability that is to come with the next generation.

Just because your twice removed dogs uncle did home renovations and only caused 9 fires does not make you qualified to even guess at electrical work, even if it was on YouTube.

Be smart and call a licences electrician. They are properly trained AND QUALIFIED, as well as insured. Yes they cost money, but YOUR family sleeps there- even if they aren’t important to you, it should matter that you kept your conscience clean and hired the proper professional.

So @sbrn33 you aren’t the asshole here, the forums proper vetting is.
MechanicalDVR likes this.

BRINGING RESPECT TO THE TRADES IS IMPERATIVE. DO YOUR PART!
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Modifier For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,082

Quote:
I can get the the lights to fully work if I tie the neutral to the ground on the switch....
This is bootlegging the neutral, don't do it.

I would call in a electrician for this. Some things can't be diagnosed over the internet.
The_Modifier likes this.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:39 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,528

somewhere along the line you have a poor connection on the neutral.
these faults can make you scratch your head and cuss at the moon quite a bit if you are not used to finding them.
in multiple lights it can be any place.
as an apprentice or former apprentice you should know this.
these guys say to get a licensed electrician to sort this out. and they are correct.
a faulty or intermittent open neutral is a fire waiting to happen.
and a bootleg ground is not safe at all.
don't start name calling because you don't hear what you want!

and to answer an unasked question yes I am a retired electrician and a fire investigator so i know what im talking about

Miracle (mere-ack-ull):the aspirations of the indigent, The expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #8
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,780

Those guys make a very good point here on safety and it will be the best to get a electrician to come out and help you on this one.

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.