Homeless using your power. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 10
Default Homeless using your power.

Hope it's OK to post this here for you pros. for better advice. I have a house in NC, but moved to Florida, I plan to sell it one day or fix it and rent it.

I kept power and water on for awhile, cuz we stay here when we visit, but since we don't come much anymore, mom died, I had both cut off in Feb.

Thurday I got a whopping $800 power bill for this property...I was coming this way for Holiday, so planned to stop by. I got here today and here now, power is on. I find no tag on the meter and you can see someone sawed that lil latch, I long painted the box to match the house, you could see it rubbed off, someone went into the box......somehow someone cut the meter on. I read online that it can be done, but I'm not opening it.

It's in a fairly nice hood, but homes are spread out, problem the city lake is behind it, far back, but trails back there and homeless people have started hanging out there, mostly for water and using the shelters at night, police run them off in the day. Has become an issue since economy failed.

Anyway, I'll call Duke, but how can someone run my power for maybe a month or more and Duke not know it...my power bill at it's highest was $300.00 a month here. It is a old meter, not digital. I don't even know how they read it, stopped seeing readers some years ago

I assume they will try to stick me with the bill, but wonder if they will try to fine me, charge for fixing it, etc. My issue is this...From what I've read Duke Power owns the box, it's not my property, so why should I be responsible for any damage, fines, power use, etc, done by criminal activity against them....I can prove I haven't been here, course I'm sure they've seen and heard it all.

Do they not check the things, I thought they would know right away if someone cut power on...

I can document I live in Florida, maybe come here once every 3 months. I haven't lived here for a year. I will file a police report tomorrow I can tell someone has been in my home, cigarette butts everywhere, we don't smoke, nothing in it of value and it's a mess because we left it full of all the junk we didn't want to move, but you can tell someones been sort of living here.

What else is funny.....the water is back on, I had it cut off. I had it cut off around March 1... I know my water hose was rolled up, it's unrolled to the back edge of yard.

How do I stop this from happening in the future. I'm scared if I put a lock on the box someone would do more damage to get in.
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 642

Old 05-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Golden Controls

Rewards Points: 502

A moderator will be by soon to close this. Im sorry this is a forum for electrical professionals.
The Following User Says Thank You to dowmace For This Useful Post:
The_Modifier (05-27-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Sorry, but the utilities are not responsible for patrolling your property.

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
The_Modifier (05-27-2012)
Closed Thread