Hospital Grade M.C cable - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 12-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Hospital Grade M.C cable

Im currently wiring a physician's doctors office. Alot of hospital grade mc cable but with the inspectors blessing got it approved to use all purpose cable on anything above ceiling. Was elated to not have to use the hospital grade mc on all my 24 light fixtures meaning not having to take that ground to the dog houses! What a time saver.
JustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 726

What is all purpose cable?
Old 12-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
BBQ
Salty Member

Rewards Points: 2

The NEC does not require hospital grade MC for the lighting.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
The NEC does not require hospital grade MC for the lighting.
I think hes using MCAP.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #5

Talking

Correct, mcap its got the aluminum ground.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awg-Dawg
What is all purpose cable?
Mc cable with a bonding strip in it instead of a copper ground. Like ac cable.
Dash Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dash Dingo For This Useful Post:
Awg-Dawg (12-09-2013), JustinJ (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #7

BBQ you might want to take a look at 517.11 (patient care vicinity) my interpretation when it says and extending vertically not less than 7 1/2 ft above the floor) I think that your hots and legs coming down to your switches must be hospital grade mc. Your whips in between lights dont have to be. Whats your opinion?
Old 12-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #8

That is the way I was taught. If the wire goes below 7.5 feet and the device opens into a patient care area it needs to have a redundant ground.
Slimshaneee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slimshaneee For This Useful Post:
JustinJ (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #9

Yes It has an aluminum ground in it that you bend back 120 degrees past the sheath and cut off and when you insert the cable into the connector and tighten that gives you your ground. Just make sure that locknut is tight or you could potentially lose it.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post
BBQ you might want to take a look at 517.11 (patient care vicinity) my interpretation when it says and extending vertically not less than 7 1/2 ft above the floor) I think that your hots and legs coming down to your switches must be hospital grade mc. Your whips in between lights dont have to be. Whats your opinion?

I don't think he was disagreeing with you.

The cable you are calling hospital grade mc, Is actually called Health Care Facilities Cable of HCFC for short.
JustinJ (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 976

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimshaneee View Post
That is the way I was taught. If the wire goes below 7.5 feet and the device opens into a patient care area it needs to have a redundant ground.
Regular MC still can not be used for the lights above 7.5 feet in a patient care area but AC can, see the exceptions to 517.13(B), the insulated conductor is not required but a metallic raceway recognized as an EGC is.

Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roger For This Useful Post:
BBQ (12-10-2013), Bbsound (12-10-2013), JustinJ (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,174

Quote:
Yes It has an aluminum ground in it that you bend back 120 degrees past the sheath and cut off and when you insert the cable into the connector and tighten that gives you your ground. Just make sure that locknut is tight or you could potentially lose it.
I didnt think there was approved connectors for AP that had a locknut
I always use the Arlington snap in connectors
Old 12-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
CES

Rewards Points: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Regular MC still can not be used for the lights above 7.5 feet in a patient care area but AC can, see the exceptions to 517.13(B), the insulated conductor is not required but a metallic raceway recognized as an EGC is.

Roger
Thanks Roger I have seen some inspectors interpret the 7 1/2ft rule and let regular m/c go.
CES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 282

Quote:
As roger said, the exception that allows the 7-1\2'(517.13 (B)(1)(3) ex. #2) points back to 517.13(A), which says the metallic raceway, armor, or sheath shall itself qualify as an EGC, which regular MC does not.
Like you I have most definitely seen regular old mc used for lighting in areas considered to be patient care.

Last edited by di11igaf; 12-10-2013 at 12:27 PM.
di11igaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
Professional Nit Picker

Rewards Points: 2,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by CES View Post
Thanks Roger I have seen some inspectors interpret the 7 1/2ft rule and let regular m/c go.
Then those inspectors need to go back to school !

I disapprove about 35% of ceiling inspections in patient care areas as the EC does not use the proper wiring methods. It has become such an issue that I printed out copies of 517.13 to give to the electrician when discussing it with them.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #16
BBQ
Salty Member

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchestersparky View Post
It has become such an issue that I printed out copies of 517.13 to give to the electrician when discussing it with them.
I know that is not an inspectors job but I say thanks to you and other inspectors that do that.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BBQ For This Useful Post:
manchestersparky (12-10-2013)