How close Is to close ? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By numbers
  • 1 Post By wcord
  • 2 Post By Speedy Petey
  • 1 Post By Jhellwig
  • 3 Post By B-Nabs
  • 1 Post By Southeast Power
  • 2 Post By numbers
  • 1 Post By numbers
  • 2 Post By MechanicalDVR

Old 09-08-2016, 07:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 88
Default How close Is to close ?

What is the minimum distance an electric radio can be to an edge of a pool or lazy river. The radio is plugged into an GFI outlet.
Jhellwig likes this.
numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to numbers For This Useful Post:
Jhellwig (09-09-2016)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

The radio is irrelevant. It's the receptacle that matters.
What is a lazy river? What is the setting?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
The radio is irrelevant. It's the receptacle that matters.
What is a lazy river? What is the setting?
fail
Attached Images

Majewski likes this.
wcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #4

It's a public pool. The lazy river is separate from the main pool. It is used for walking and riding on inner tubes. It has moving water which propels the inner tubes. The receptable is mounted on the side of the building. The radio was plugged into an extension cord and it was placed on the concrete near the water.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbers View Post
It's a public pool. The lazy river is separate from the main pool. It is used for walking and riding on inner tubes. It has moving water which propels the inner tubes. The receptable is mounted on the side of the building. The radio was plugged into an extension cord and it was placed on the concrete near the water.
That is the issue.

As far as we are concerned, the placement of the receptacle is what needs to meet code. If some idiot wants to plug in and leave an x-cord around a setting like that he should be removed from the job and the area.
360max and freefreeqaz like this.
360max (09-08-2016), freefreeqaz (09-08-2016), frenchelectrican (09-09-2016), Signal1 (09-09-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:11 PM   #6

Thanks Speedy Petey, I didn't know if it was covered by the code. I guess you can't account for stupidty. I told the person in charge to remove it. I will check on it tomorrow if I get a chance.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:17 PM   #7
Sparks fly from my finger

Rewards Points: 4,559

Being that it is a public place it would fall under whatever governing body regulates its operation. The extension cord will be no where to be found on inspection day. If their insurance underwriter happened to be there on a nice outing with the family it could get interesting.

Do the construction electrician thing when they have a cord where it doesn't belong and chop the end off.
360max likes this.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:21 PM   #8
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhellwig View Post
Being that it is a public place it would fall under whatever governing body regulates its operation. The extension cord will be no where to be found on inspection day. If their insurance underwriter happened to be there on a nice outing with the family it could get interesting.

Do the construction electrician thing when they have a cord where it doesn't belong and chop the end off.
The male end of course
Old 09-09-2016, 07:05 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 8,906

Quote:
The NEC assumes a 6' cord. Once an extension cord in introduced into the question, no one can help you.
A GFCI receptacle 10' away from the edge of the water with something with a '6 cord would leave enough space that the average person would be out of reach of it.
Jhellwig likes this.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #10

I will bring my wire cutter with me.
MechanicalDVR and Jhellwig like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to numbers For This Useful Post:
Jhellwig (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #11

The NEC assumes a 6' cord. Once an extension cord in introduced into the question, no one can help you.
A GFCI receptacle 10' away from the edge of the water with something with a '6 cord would leave enough space that the average person would be out of reach of it.
Suncoast, do you have a code reference?
Old 09-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 434

The "Code" is not going to address things like extension cords in that way, the NEC is about safe CONSTRUCTION and DESIGN practices. What idiots do after it is designed and installed is not something that can be addressed in the NEC. So the NEC will address placements of receptacles so as to limit the use of extension cords (i.e. 6ft along a wall), and can say things like "no permanent use of extension cords". It appears this is somewhat addressed though in Article 680:
Quote:
680.7 Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment. Fixed or stationary equipment, other than underwater luminaires, for a
permanently installed pool shall be permitted to be connected
with a flexible cord and plug to facilitate the removal or disconnection
for maintenance or repair.
(A) Length. For other than storable pools, the flexible cord
shall not exceed 900 mm (3 ft) in length
People think that just because it is a GFCI, it is "safe". It is safER, but nothing is 100%.

I would imagine there might be other health and safety regulations that will forbid it.

Last edited by JRaef; 09-09-2016 at 05:21 PM.
JRaef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #13

Just wanted to give everyone an update. When I went to the pool Yesterday the radio was replaced by a battery powered one. I guess they listened to me.
frenchelectrican likes this.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #14
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 23,618

Quote:
Just wanted to give everyone an update. When I went to the pool Yesterday the radio was replaced by a battery powered one. I guess they listened to me.
Every now and then some common sense goes a long way. Peopel tend to just ignore safety choices more often than not.
frenchelectrican and Bird dog like this.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote