How to decipher electrical panels at industrial site? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree19Likes
  • 7 Post By Going_Commando
  • 1 Post By backstay
  • 2 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By sbrn33
  • 7 Post By glen1971
  • 1 Post By John Valdes
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 12
Question How to decipher electrical panels at industrial site?

I am to oversee a warehouse's electrical system and hire electricians to do the actual work. So I want to become familiar with the equipment, that way people that I hire won't take advantage of me.
I trained to be an Electronics Technologist so I am not well versed in some of the high voltage terminology but I can research and educate myself.

In the main 'panels room' are all these boxes

When I open the biggest panel, the one in the centre, the inside look like this, whats this all about?

Other two pics are close ups of two panels showing labels.

If someone can tell me the following or guide me to where to get some details I would appreciate your help.

At which box does the electricity enter the 'panels room'?
What is the route of power after that?
What is the purpose of the other boxes?
Partial answers or guesses will do, I just need some pieces to solve the puzzle.
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 916

Are you an electrician?
The Following User Says Thank You to cdslotz For This Useful Post:
The_Modifier (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,486

You are obviously not an electrician, and need to have one come in. You are grossly unqualified to be cracking open gear like that, and have no idea the hazards involved.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Going_Commando For This Useful Post:
The_Modifier (07-14-2017), wildleg (07-13-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 296

First off, that's not high voltage, it isn't even medium voltage. Hire a reputable electrical contractor. Do what you were hired to do and let them do the electrical work. Opening electrical enclosures without the proper PPE, is how you can get hurt, fired and your company fined.
glen1971 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to backstay For This Useful Post:
John Valdes (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,028

You will definitely want some help here, have someone come in and inspect the system and create some documentation / drawings, then have someone draw up a safety plan / policies / procedures. This will map out what maintenance can do safely, and how, and draw the line where you need to bring in an electrician.

Educating yourself to where you're a more knowledgeable customer is way more than you can answer in a thread here, but you'll get there.
brian john and The_Modifier like this.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,276

First thing you need to do is get that service replaced.
HackWork likes this.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,784

Step 1: Don't open any more panels. You are not qualified to, and I'll guess not covered by your company's insurance to do so.
Step 2: Hire a reputable electrical company to come in and check out the system. Ask questions around as to who might be a reputable company in your area, colleagues in other similar industries, wholesalers, town Chamber of Commerce, etc.
Step 3: Ask some questions as you go along to educate yourself.
Step 4: Monitor your electricians as they work on projects for you. Don't "Bird dog" them, but keep up with what they are doing and where if it is a larger project.

Looking at your pictures, I and many others here could answer most of your questions, but to be honest why would we? I went to school for 4 years and have been working on my trade for better than 24 years... If someone here gives you advice, and you get hurt because you don't understand the hazards, or we missed a piece of the pie because of poor information then what?
If you want something for free go catch some sun on a day off... That's still free..
bill39, backstay, telsa and 4 others like this.

Last edited by glen1971; 07-13-2017 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Saw a spelling error in advice (was advise)..
The Following User Says Thank You to glen1971 For This Useful Post:
wildleg (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

^ what he said
Old 07-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,674

Quality control should've started in the bid process.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,790

I am amazed you got hired to oversee work you have no knowledge of.

Now don't get me wrong OP. I always told every employer I could do anything they wanted. Lied sometimes to get the job. But I had at least an idea how to bend pipe when I told them I was great at it.
This is a situation where your potential employees need someone to look to for help and guidance. They are going to ask you questions and you will not be able to answer them with correct information.
How could you get away with that when they will know more than you do.
You are in the wrong job.

Now, I have worked for guys that knew nothing about my job, but they had engineering degrees and were hired to lead not do the work.
If the company knows this, then by all means jump in head first.
glen1971 likes this.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #11
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,130

Hire an electrician to put that cover back on and don't touch it again.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
Step 1: Don't open any more panels. You are not qualified to, and I'll guess not covered by your company's insurance to do so.
Step 2: Hire a reputable electrical company to come in and check out the system. Ask questions around as to who might be a reputable company in your area, colleagues in other similar industries, wholesalers, town Chamber of Commerce, etc.
Step 3: Ask some questions as you go along to educate yourself.
Step 4: Monitor your electricians as they work on projects for you. Don't "Bird Dog" them, but keep up with what they are doing and where if it is a larger project.

Looking at your pictures, I and many others here could answer most of your questions, but to be honest, why would we? I went to school for 4 years and have been working on my trade for better than 24 years... If someone here gives you advice, and you get hurt because you don't understand the hazards, or we missed a piece of the pie because of poor information then what?
If you want something for free to go catch some sun on a day off... That's still free.
AS part of the above have an IR scan completed and request they do a detailed inventory list of all distribution equipment.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,264

I agree with the others that you should not be opening panels without knowledge, however to answer your question I can only guess that the disconnect on the top right is the main power.

The power from there goes to the elongated box and is spliced there to all the other panels. It is quite a mess, IMO.

I do need to close this thread.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
Bird dog (07-13-2017), glen1971 (07-13-2017), The_Modifier (07-14-2017), wildleg (07-13-2017)
Closed Thread