How Do You Rate Your Employees - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By HackWork
  • 3 Post By brian john
  • 1 Post By nrp3
  • 1 Post By cabletie

Old 05-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,486
Default How Do You Rate Your Employees

We have an HVAC firm here that touts their men as 5 Star Technicians, C F Home of the 5 Star Technicians.

What to heck does that mean, if I was an competitor I rate my employees as 6 Star Technicians.

Or am I wrong and there are 5 Star certifications?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 389

It's a saying, it's to promote the company. My van says "Certified Expert Electrician". I think the lettering guy got that from my business card and I put that on my business card because I saw it on Mr Electric's website.

In the end, it's all a ploy to get people to call.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
It's a saying, it's to promote the company. My van says "Certified Expert Electrician". I think the lettering guy got that from my business card and I put that on my business card because I saw it on Mr Electric's website.

In the end, it's all a ploy to get people to call.
But you are certified (licensed) 5 Star means little to anyone with real knowledge.

Mine Tag Line is "Professional Electrician Has Megger Will Travel"
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2017, 03:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,149

I was a 5 star 5 diamond electrician.
Meaning I worked at a 5 star 5 diamond mega hotel resort.

To the hotels the rating system means a ton.
Not just the travel site ratings but there are a few organizations that would pay professional hotel raters / inspectors to visit the property acting like a guest. Just like everything where millions of dollars are up for grabs the system was corrupt. Room prices and and stars are directly related.

The property would get tipped off when and who was going to be the inspector. They went as far as to have special rooms in most every room option for these people. The rooms were ordinary except would receive maintenance on every checkout, to make sure there is no chips, scratches, defects, non-functioning. Normally this is left to the guest room attendants. But in this case they would dispatch a tower maintenance person to inspect every check out, they would make the repair immediate request to the tower refurb crew or specialty maintenance shop such as HVAC, electrical, etc. The air filters new and coils were always cleaned. The guest room attendants would be told by the mangers to make that one perfect. The housemen probably did regular deep cleanings (cleaning rugs, moving and cleaning behind furniture, etc.). Always checked by the properties quality control. Even the front desk agents were alerted to be on the lookout for _____ checking in today.

A contractor could go off the internet ratings.
Such as Yelp, YP, HA, AL, etc. and claim they have a XX rating.
No rating system ever got personal by the employee.
Can you imagine if such a system existed?
Go to a job interview and they want to see your online reviews.
active1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #5
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 862

I'm a terrible employee.
brian john likes this.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 296

World Class!
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:51 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,487

ONE MAN ARMYS ! yo
catsparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:59 AM   #8
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,459

I call myself an electrical change agent.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,274

I was always told I am two good.

1. No good
2. Good for nothing
emtnut likes this.
cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
We have an HVAC firm here that touts their men as 5 Star Technicians, C F Home of the 5 Star Technicians.

What to heck does that mean, if I was an competitor I rate my employees as 6 Star Technicians.

Or am I wrong and there are 5 Star certifications?
I believe the 5 star certs fall back to North American Technician Excellence or NATE certification which is for non union guys the United Association has their own STAR certification.

The last place I worked that offered mechanical and electrical work had their guys STAR certified by the local and boasted that on all forms of advertising.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote