How do YOU reduce job related stress? - Page 3 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion


Like Tree112Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2017, 05:07 AM   #41
Retired Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: the Green Mountain state
Posts: 39,722
Rewards Points: 14,650
Default

yes well, let us know how that works out Tels.....~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-15-2017, 06:46 AM   #42
86 45 20
 
Southeast Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,755
Rewards Points: 8,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePhase277 View Post
I used to carry a lot of stress. Drinking wasn't my thing. The doctor prescribed Klonopin, and while that was kinda neat, it just made me forgetful and spacey. Then one day, I just stopped giving a chit. Seriously, if the phone rings and I don't want to answer, I don't. If there's a bill due that can't be paid right away, it will get paid when I can do it. Once I discovered the secret to not giving a chit, my tension and stress just melted away. As the old saying goes, you can't get blood from a turnip.
This folks, is how its done.
lighterup and RePhase277 like this.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:48 AM   #43
86 45 20
 
Southeast Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,755
Rewards Points: 8,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
I reduce stress by blaming the Russians, the Republicans and Bernie Sanders.

And I'm not alone.
And the Red Chinese.
readydave8 likes this.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-15-2017, 07:09 AM   #44
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8,337
Rewards Points: 4,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePhase277 View Post
I used to carry a lot of stress. Drinking wasn't my thing. The doctor prescribed Klonopin, and while that was kinda neat, it just made me forgetful and spacey. Then one day, I just stopped giving a chit. Seriously, if the phone rings and I don't want to answer, I don't. If there's a bill due that can't be paid right away, it will get paid when I can do it. Once I discovered the secret to not giving a chit, my tension and stress just melted away. As the old saying goes, you can't get blood from a turnip.
A friend of mine just gave me this book:

__________________
Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to splatz For This Useful Post:
lighterup (09-16-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
sbrn33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: middle america
Posts: 11,445
Rewards Points: 3,290
Default

I golf, when I am on the course the phone is in my bag and I forget about work all together. Nothing worse than playing with someone who is on their phone the whole time.
Although one of the best things to happen to golf is the phone because music on the course is freaking awesome.
We usually have a stress relief meeting at the shop on Wed around 3ish and that is nice also.
Mech's idea is a good one but when it is happening it sucks balls.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: US
Posts: 3,321
Rewards Points: 1,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
A friend of mine just gave me this book:

I put into perspective sometimes that everything is chaos, existence is absurd and meaningless and one day I will cease to exist as I ceased to exist for eons. The sun will one day swallow the Earth and human life will likely have self destructed or be scurrying about the galaxy trying to survive.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
flyboy and splatz like this.
TGGT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TGGT For This Useful Post:
flyboy (09-16-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 20
Default


Last edited by Cricket; 09-16-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: fixed photobucket url
Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:30 PM   #48
Can't sign em..forget em
 
lighterup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,361
Rewards Points: 10,046
Default

Roll a nice big fatty and smoke that blunt til it burns my fingers
chicken steve likes this.
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Posts: 137
Rewards Points: 274
Default

On a serious note I have found that the best way to reduce job related stress is to have a job that you like and enjoy and coworkers that all get along and are team players. Environment and superiors also play a key role. My stress comes from being middle management, taking over operations and dealing with idiots. a lot of it has nothing to do with electric at all, housekeeping maintenance etc. 55 people with attitudes. Give me S next day GM handles and I don't care. I go home in peace every day (mostly) Stress becomes a state of mind, if conditions are so bad either confront the problem or move on. Find the solution and find a way to make the necessary changes, little things can mean a lot. Everyone knows what I am dealing with and they let me make my own schedule and with 500 acres + with 750 pole lights and the distribution system throughout outlets etc. Add on 9 other properties you learn real quick. CHILL OUT. Bottom line my attitude is safety first all others can wait and I don't care you have one light out for a week it's a quad pole. Sorry I guess I was ranting a bit, It upsets me to see so many people in jobs being taken advantage of just because you need a job to provide for your family.. I could go on but one thing to aim for is to make yourself invaluable.
bill39 and splatz like this.
GeneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:13 PM   #50
Can't sign em..forget em
 
lighterup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,361
Rewards Points: 10,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneC View Post
On a serious note I have found that the best way to reduce job related stress is to have a job that you like and enjoy and coworkers that all get along and are team players. Environment and superiors also play a key role. My stress comes from being middle management, taking over operations and dealing with idiots. a lot of it has nothing to do with electric at all, housekeeping maintenance etc. 55 people with attitudes. Give me S next day GM handles and I don't care. I go home in peace every day (mostly) Stress becomes a state of mind, if conditions are so bad either confront the problem or move on. Find the solution and find a way to make the necessary changes, little things can mean a lot. Everyone knows what I am dealing with and they let me make my own schedule and with 500 acres + with 750 pole lights and the distribution system throughout outlets etc. Add on 9 other properties you learn real quick. CHILL OUT. Bottom line my attitude is safety first all others can wait and I don't care you have one light out for a week it's a quad pole. Sorry I guess I was ranting a bit, It upsets me to see so many people in jobs being taken advantage of just because you need a job to provide for your family.. I could go on but one thing to aim for is to make yourself invaluable.
I didn't think you were ranting , but seriously , where is this job/
place where everyone gets along and the coworkers are shiny people
holding hands.
Wishing it that way don't make it so .

My way of handling stress was , open my own business , get rid
of a couple sources of stress and replace it with a whole new kind
of stress.

either way you gotta deal with it.

It's best to let the dumb stuff roll off your shoulder and
not try to carry it.
splatz and 350X like this.
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
gnuuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nw. Pa.
Posts: 1,761
Rewards Points: 1,528
Default

this is my latest method and its one hell of a stress reliever
and at least its legal
kids got me into it but they forgot my specialty in the navy was gunnery and ballistics
Attached Images
 
lighterup likes this.
__________________
ive been shocked so many times that my eyes light up and i fart lightning bolts.

Miracle (mere-ack-ull):the aspirations of the indigent, The expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Last edited by gnuuser; 09-15-2017 at 07:28 PM.
gnuuser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gnuuser For This Useful Post:
350X (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #52
Band Member
 
emtnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 5,750
Rewards Points: 878
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post

How do YOU reduce job related stress?

Retiring seemed to work wonders for me

Still keeping busy, bit of work ... Lots of grampa time


For you guys that are stressed, if you have kids and/or nieces nephews ... be a kid with them for the day ... works wonders
__________________
_____________________________________
Your Mother was a hamster, and your father smells of Elderberries. ... Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
emtnut is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emtnut For This Useful Post:
220/221 (09-15-2017), 350X (09-15-2017), micromind (09-15-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 05:14 AM   #53
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8,337
Rewards Points: 4,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGGT View Post
I put into perspective sometimes that everything is chaos, existence is absurd and meaningless and one day I will cease to exist as I ceased to exist for eons. The sun will one day swallow the Earth and human life will likely have self destructed or be scurrying about the galaxy trying to survive.
Exactly, or put another way

Quote:
All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
TGGT and lighterup like this.
__________________
Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:40 AM   #54
Small Potatoes
 
flyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North East USA Treasure Coast Florida
Posts: 4,953
Rewards Points: 3,642
Default

Flying...

How do YOU reduce job related stress?-img_0486.jpg

How do YOU reduce job related stress?-img_3620.jpg

How do YOU reduce job related stress?-img_3619.jpg

Flying the right seat of my buddies Citation

How do YOU reduce job related stress?-img_4035.jpg

How do YOU reduce job related stress?-img_4062.jpg
micromind, dronai and emtnut like this.
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #55
Small Potatoes
 
flyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North East USA Treasure Coast Florida
Posts: 4,953
Rewards Points: 3,642
Default

Or when the weather is bad...

How do YOU reduce job related stress?-img_0613.jpg
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #56
:-)
 
daveEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,670
Rewards Points: 2,382
Default

Like RePhase... Not in a hurry anymore.

I still have this in the shed. Should get it running again.

emtnut likes this.
__________________
<<
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by daveEM; 09-16-2017 at 08:35 AM.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #57
Can't sign em..forget em
 
lighterup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,361
Rewards Points: 10,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGGT View Post
I put into perspective sometimes that everything is chaos, existence is absurd and meaningless and one day I will cease to exist as I ceased to exist for eons. The sun will one day swallow the Earth and human life will likely have self destructed or be scurrying about the galaxy trying to survive.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
where's my zanax ...good grief
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:56 AM   #58
Can't sign em..forget em
 
lighterup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,361
Rewards Points: 10,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
I golf, when I am on the course the phone is in my bag and I forget about work all together. Nothing worse than playing with someone who is on their phone the whole time.
Although one of the best things to happen to golf is the phone because music on the course is freaking awesome.
We usually have a stress relief meeting at the shop on Wed around 3ish and that is nice also.
Mech's idea is a good one but when it is happening it sucks balls.
I thought having ones balls sucked was positive reinforcement?
emtnut likes this.
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 182
Rewards Points: 354
Default

Leaving the phone in the truck accidentally on purpose is a great during the day stress reliever. Scheduled silence from 8 pm to 6 am on my phone is another. Shutting off email is a third.

For general stress and relaxation at night, I play video games, either MMO's or FPS. Even do charity events based around games. Play with my kids as well.

With family on weekends and vacations, hiking, traveling, watching youngest do America Ninja Warrior training.

Overall, learning to let **** go is the best stress reliever.
CT Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #60
Small Potatoes
 
flyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North East USA Treasure Coast Florida
Posts: 4,953
Rewards Points: 3,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGGT View Post
I put into perspective sometimes that everything is chaos, existence is absurd and meaningless and one day I will cease to exist as I ceased to exist for eons. The sun will one day swallow the Earth and human life will likely have self destructed or be scurrying about the galaxy trying to survive.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Wow! I was thinking the exact same thing!
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Technology Upgrades and Related Business Growth Push StevenLeuck Business, Marketing, and Sales 7 04-15-2019 01:58 PM
13.8kv stress cones Kadenselect Industrial Electrical Forum 6 02-17-2017 02:45 PM
Humorous Electrical Related Pics/Memes MechanicalDVR General Electrical Discussion 21 12-03-2016 10:13 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com