How does grounding affect Wi-fi? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 09-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,292
Default How does grounding affect Wi-fi?

a question from a buddy of mine:

Here's a question I don't have the answer to, regarding my own house.

Most of the outlets aren't grounded, a few are, and the cheezy little things you plug into your outlets, surge protectors, etc, say that my grounded outlets are grounded, and my non grounded outlets aren't.

I have hell with wifi in this house, more than 15' away, strait shot, no walls, you barely get a signal.. I have no other electrical issues with appliances, computers, etc.. (had 10+ different devices, not a wifi device problem, and current one has a 2 prong power plug)

My outlets in the garage work fine if I plug an extension cord into them to the wifi device, I can cover the entire house. In fact, it works almost that well plugged into my generator..

Here's what's prompted me to readdress this..

I am working on a clients medium-end UPS battery backup unit. It is throwing a code for "site wiring fault' on my grounded outlets..
It works fine in the garage. The instruction manual info for this code is as follows:

Site Wiring Problem
(Alarm 194)
Continuous Alarm
An alarm triggers when the
difference between ground and
neutral voltage is >15V.
Have a qualified electrician correct the wiring
problem. If the UPS is not wired with a neutral
wire, Site Fault should be disabled in the
Settings menu (see page 36).

is it possible that at some point someone put 3prong outlets in and ran the ground to a stud, or the foundation and my cheezy ground tester is seeing a ground and this device isn't?
What other problems can I look for.

I have not tried every grounded outlet in the house with this UPS, but about 5 with the same results, the garage being the exception..

ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
carryyourbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post
a question from a buddy of mine:

Here's a question I don't have the answer to, regarding my own house.

Most of the outlets aren't grounded, a few are, and the cheezy little things you plug into your outlets, surge protectors, etc, say that my grounded outlets are grounded, and my non grounded outlets aren't.

I have hell with wifi in this house, more than 15' away, strait shot, no walls, you barely get a signal.. I have no other electrical issues with appliances, computers, etc.. (had 10+ different devices, not a wifi device problem, and current one has a 2 prong power plug)

My outlets in the garage work fine if I plug an extension cord into them to the wifi device, I can cover the entire house. In fact, it works almost that well plugged into my generator..

Here's what's prompted me to readdress this..

I am working on a clients medium-end UPS battery backup unit. It is throwing a code for "site wiring fault' on my grounded outlets..
It works fine in the garage. The instruction manual info for this code is as follows:

Site Wiring Problem
(Alarm 194)
Continuous Alarm
An alarm triggers when the
difference between ground and
neutral voltage is >15V.
Have a qualified electrician correct the wiring
problem. If the UPS is not wired with a neutral
wire, Site Fault should be disabled in the
Settings menu (see page 36).

is it possible that at some point someone put 3prong outlets in and ran the ground to a stud, or the foundation and my cheezy ground tester is seeing a ground and this device isn't?
What other problems can I look for.

I have not tried every grounded outlet in the house with this UPS, but about 5 with the same results, the garage being the exception..

ideas?

You need a good tester to pick up false grounds.

like this one.......http://www.idealindustries.com/prodD...?prodId=61-165

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
DGFVT

Rewards Points: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post

I will second that. Also it sounds like you need to spend some quality time on you home wiring system.
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Seems to me that you have a few issues. I'm not sure the wifi is related to the electrical issue. Electrical aside I would double check that nothing else is using your router's frequency.
Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Your router only has a 2 prong plug right?
BBQ (09-08-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,292

its not my house. it is a friend of mine's house. he also rents and the LL probably is not gonna spend money if he doesn't have to.

carryyourbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,006

You don't need a Sure-Test to measure the voltage difference between neutral and ground at a recep. Check several receps on different circuits to see if the fault is common or isolated to one or more circuits. Proceed accordingly. I'd be suspicious of a dropped or failing service neutral.

Was born in HACKensack, NJ
CraigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 268

At low radio frequencies, like in the AM broadcast band, Mother Earth is one half of the broadcast antenna system. At high radio frequencies, like Wi-fi frequencies Mother Earth is no longer a factor. So a bad or missing EGC should not affect Wi-fi reception.
Speedskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 268

Have you tried a different wireless router?

Edit: never mind I reread your op.

Last edited by aDudeInPhx; 09-06-2012 at 02:37 PM.
aDudeInPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #10

I suspect the neutrals at the panel may be loose, or the grounds.
Your wifi N runs at either 2.4 ghz or 5.0 ghz, make sure that he doesn't have a cordless phone on the 2.4 band. Check for other wifi in the area as well.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 5,650

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E

Been using this for years. Even before Ideal bought them out.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #12
BBQ
Salty Member

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbsound View Post
Your router only has a 2 prong plug right?
Worth repeating.

I doubt grounding or neutrals have anything to do with it at all.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote