How to find a first job. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By MDShunk
  • 1 Post By JoeSparky
  • 1 Post By catsparky1
  • 2 Post By MikeFL

Old 05-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Default How to find a first job.

Hello, guys, i'm completely new to the field, and i want to join, I am living in NYC. First I started a topic on reddit, and people there told me, that if i want to join the union apprenticeship, electrician who is already in the union should recommend me, otherwise union guys will not accept, so as i don't know anyone, I started looking for the jobs in non union side, but every apprentice position on indeed.com requires at least 1 year of experience. I also had a conversation with the guy from Colorado, and he said that it's easy to find a job there without experience, and also his company paying for his school. Now i totally stuck, because everybody here wants the experience apprentice already, I also know about few schools in NYC, but the price is 17 thousands for the course, and they do not guarantee job placement. I don't know what to do now, and appreciate any recommendations.
qweez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

Getting a job in a new field is a little bit like door-to-door vacuum cleaner sales. You knock on enough doors, no matter how badly you suck as a salesman, and someone will surprise you and buy one. It's all about ratios. Number of doors knocked on, number of "NO's" to number of sales. Just keep putting your face in font of people. Not online applications. Not phonecalls. Knock on doors and put your face in front of people and present yourself as an electrician want-to-be (not meant as a disparaging term, just the best thing I could think of).
active1 and wattsittoyou like this.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Getting a job in a new field is a little bit like door-to-door vacuum cleaner sales. You knock on enough doors, no matter how badly you suck as a salesman, and someone will surprise you and buy one. It's all about ratios. Number of doors knocked on, number of "NO's" to number of sales. Just keep putting your face in font of people. Not online applications. Not phonecalls. Knock on doors and put your face in front of people and present yourself as an electrician want-to-be (not meant as a disparaging term, just the best thing I could think of).
Yep. Employers get plenty of resumes emailed to them and text messages responding to Craigslist ads. If you want to get noticed, show up in person. Convince them that despite your lack of experience that you will be an asset, not a liability.
active1 likes this.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2018, 06:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,545

1- put on boots , work pants , work shirt .
2- start banging on doors .
3- have a good attitude .
4- repeat until you are hired !

Their are lots of jobs out there right now .
active1 likes this.
catsparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #5

I started out non union in north nj 30 min from nyc . I stayed busy for years finding work of off craigslist .

Their is also temp agencies that you can call to find wrk .

North no is booming with electrical wrk .

And so is nyc if you look hard you will find wrk guaranteed
Switchgear277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,149

Think the difference between NYC & Colorado is the demand for labor.
It's always good to go where there is a demand.

Colorado has an apprentice license, not sure about NY.

When it comes to non-union apprentice could mean different things depending on the area. In a more regulated states apprentices are required to be licensed. Some states require apprentices to attend a recognized training center. Sometimes they must be supervised by a journeyman or master. They may be limited to the type of work they can do. With the idea that you start work & school and about 4 years later you should be qualified to test out as a journeyman.

But in other states apprentice just means cheap labor, or a trained installer.
Meaning the apprentice can be left alone to do any task and dose not require any education. Some people without their own motivation spend their career as a multi decade apprentice. They learn the part names, the tools, and how to install electrical items. Off their head they may know what wire size for a more common service or breaker size. But would have a difficult time finding it in the code book, knowing how to do the calculations, or understanding why. These workers tend to be weak at diagnosing problems and trouble being able to do a less then common task.

I got no problem with schools & education.
But $17k is a lot to get started.
For a fraction of that come to Vegas & I could educate you.
It would be cheaper to call a service tech out @ $75 / hr to teach you code & conduit bending.
Understand what ever school you get done with, you're just getting started learning.

I got started by studying a pile of beginner level electrical books.
Then door knocking. Told them I was studying at home.
Asked a few simple electrical questions, & got the job.

Some others just fake it till they make it.
active1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4

Okay guys, thank you all. It looks like i have to go in person to electrical companies and ask for a job. Could you recommend me some beginner electrical books, which i can start with.
qweez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:26 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 7,265

Quote:
Originally Posted by qweez View Post
Okay guys, thank you all. It looks like i have to go in person to electrical companies and ask for a job. Could you recommend me some beginner electrical books, which i can start with.
Anything with "Basic Electrical" in the title. There are so many good books out there, it's hard to recommend any in particular. Spend a while at the library for starters. Prepare to do a lot of reading, it's a vast subject. Learn Ohm's law, and series/parallel circuits. Visit Mike Holt's web site.
joebanana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:45 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 64

Show up ready to work and walk into every electrical contractor's office you can find. Convince them you've always wanted to be an electrician and you'll be happy to sweep floors and take out trash for minimum wage to start. They'll appreciate hearing that. You may end up sweeping floors and taking out trash for a little while but show up every day and keep asking the right questions and you'll be pulling wires eventually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote