how to get an apprenticeship union or non union - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default how to get an apprenticeship union or non union

Hello im am trying to get into an apprenticeship, i have an idea of how to do it the union way but how do you do it non-union. If someone could elaborate on both ways it would be very much appreciated. Thanks
RideTheLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideTheLightning
Hello im am trying to get into an apprenticeship, i have an idea of how to do it the union way but how do you do it non-union. If someone could elaborate on both ways it would be very much appreciated. Thanks
To do it the " non union way " , you first need to get a job with a reputable electrical contractor , who will require you to go through the apprenticeship program . I'd recommend going the union route if possible ? The schooling is really much better , and you'll come out of it a better electrician .
drumnut08 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drumnut08 For This Useful Post:
John Valdes (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideTheLightning View Post
Hello;Welcome to the forum.

Get a job in a non-union shop ,some will send you to school and some won't but you will be working in the field and learning on the fly.

From what I understand the Union will send you to school but otherwise everything else will be the same.

This is your states Electricians rules and regulations.http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,...817---,00.html

You can always call them and ask all the questions you need.

This is the unions in Michigan.

http://www.unions.org/unions/michiga...ical-workers/9

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
Hello;Welcome to the forum.

Get a job in a non-union shop ,some will send you to school and some won't but you will be working in the field and learning on the fly.

From what I understand the Union will send you to school but otherwise everything else will be the same.

This is your states Electricians rules and regulations.http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,...817---,00.html

You can always call them and ask all the questions you need.

This is the unions in Michigan.

http://www.unions.org/unions/michiga...ical-workers/9
Ok, i appreciate your reply!
I have a question, you said get a job nonunion, how do i do that?, so i just go to a nonunion place and talk to them about it?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

I went through the IEC-Dallas and is was that organization of contractor members that got me interviews with members till I found the company I work for. They have large, medium and small contractors that are members.

Go to the following link and find a chapter near you. The application process and pay rates are spelled out in full.

http://www.ieci.org/

Good luck in however you enter the trade.
ElectraWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumnut08 View Post
To do it the " non union way " , you first need to get a job with a reputable electrical contractor , who will require you to go through the apprenticeship program . I'd recommend going the union route if possible ? The schooling is really much better , and you'll come out of it a better electrician .
The only difference in the Union School is ,The union pays for it.

The private Electrical schools are just as good except the student ends up paying the tap in many cases,.

In both cases those schools must meet the standards of the board of Electricians.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectraWoman View Post
I went through the IEC-Dallas and is was that organization of contractor members that got me interviews with members till I found the company I work for. They have large, medium and small contractors that are members.

Go to the following link and find a chapter near you. The application process and pay rates are spelled out in full.

http://www.ieci.org/

Good luck in however you enter the trade.
Ok, i just looked, none in Michigan
Is that nonunion ?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 68

Quote:

I have a question, you said get a job nonunion, how do i do that?, so i just go to a nonunion place and talk to them about it?
The best way to get a job is to just walk into the business with a resume. Show them that you have motivation and you are a hard worker. Most companies don't put ads out here because a lot of people are just lazy. Show the boss you want to work and you aren't afraid of a shovel and you should have no problem getting a job.
smiley mcrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
Your first choice should be the union,But a non-union job can be had and the point is you want to start working In the Electrical trade so so to get a non-union job you need to make lots of phone calls,See if you can land one with a large Commercial Electrical contractor because it is more likely that they will send you to school on their dime..

Here is a good list of phone numbers for Electrical contractors in your state.

http://www.thebluebook.com/Electrica...cls=1680&stm=y

Old 11-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #10

Quote:
The only difference in the Union School is ,The union pays for it.

The private Electrical schools are just as good except the student ends up paying the tap in many cases,.

In both cases those schools must meet the standards of the board of Electricians.

Ok, im trying for union, its just that it is such a long process and i cant afford to wait too much longer... so im trying to expand my options with nonunion. Oh, one more question, my end goal is to specialize in installing and maintaining solar panels etc. Is this the right path for that?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,012

Quote:
The schooling is great for the theory and understanding how things work , but there is no replacing on the job training ! Seeing and doing the work is every bit as important ( if not more so ) than what apprenticeship program you get into . Be a sponge and try to retain everything you see and learn and don't be afraid to ask questions . If you go to a contractor for a job and he says he ll start you as a helper to see how you'll do , get it in writing , that he ll sponsor you in an apprenticeship . If he won't do that , find someone that will . Plenty of contractors are willing to put guys through the program , but plenty are content with paying you as a helper forever too , lol ! Good luck in the trade !
drumnut08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #12

Oh, if i start an apprenticeship in Michigan will it transfer with me? Union or nonunion, I plan on moving to Oregon.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
Ok, im trying for union, its just that it is such a long process and i cant afford to wait too much longer... so im trying to expand my options with nonunion. Oh, one more question, my end goal is to specialize in installing and maintaining solar panels etc. Is this the right path for that?
Yes it is ,But learn more about the trade than just solar panels,,Try to learn Motors and control's that's where the money is.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
Oh, if i start an apprenticeship in Michigan will it transfer with me? Union or nonunion, I plan on moving to Oregon.
When will you be going there.?

Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #15

Quote:
When will you be going there.?
I think in 2 to 3 years.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 68

Quote:

I think in 2 to 3 years.
I was going to move to Washington but I decided I was going to get my jcard first, something you might want to consider if your serious about the trade.
smiley mcrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley mcrib View Post
I was going to move to Washington but I decided I was going to get my jcard first, something you might want to consider if your serious about the trade.
O ok, how long does it take to get that?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #18
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
O ok, how long does it take to get that?
That should take 4-5 years depending on your states requirements.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #19

Does anyone know about government scale pay if your in an apprenticeship program through IEC? I've heard that I will only get a percent of scale pay since I'm in the class.
bigdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:56 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 193
Default Do not know what the union rules are for the states but in British Columbia Canada...

you need to hand in the application with physics 1, Math 11, English 11 and a resume.

Need to pass the unions physics 11 test. My score was not as hot for the physics entrance requirements so need to buy there book and pass their physics test.
lortech is offline   Reply With Quote