How many service upgrades? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 07-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 254
Default How many service upgrades?

About how many service upgrades do you do a year? I don't do them very often, and when I do do them I find it a pain pulling permits and getting inspections.

It doesn't seem like people around here want to pay more than $1000-1200 anyways. It's just not worth it after the materials, time, taxes, etc.

I'd rather do service calls any day.
Zparme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
felonious smile.

Rewards Points: 572

I wish I saw more service upgrades, however for $1200 they'd be getting a cut throat job all the way down to an aluminum GEC
Old 07-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,056

I do maybe 10 a year. I only do them when the money is good and can net at least $1K for the day.

I kind of like doing them when it isn't 150 degrees outside.

I feel like I am doing a major repair/upgrade that will serve the building well for a few decades and I can clean up the ****ed up crap people have added over the years.

I don't like the time constraint pressure of knowing the inspectors could show up at 11 AM or might not show at all.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

We used to do probably 50 year. We are down to about 5. When customers see the prices they fall over. Unless they HAVE to do it, it's rare they actually do.

When I first started 14 years ago, a "standard" 100A service upgrade was about $800. Now its about $1200-1400.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Electricity is Amazing!

Rewards Points: 538

Maybe one.

Unless you count irrigation ones.
thoenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

we did one meter base and riser that was hit by a falling tree,one 100A FP panel change out,one 200A service meter and panel. This is a typical week.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,552

Shheeesh!!! Not enough, I know that much. I dont like the time constraints involved, with the POC and the inspector that will show up anytime between 10 and 4. But its good money and I definantly feel like I accomplish something when its finished.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

We do at least 6/ month. Typically around $3400 not including permit. Too much work to do for peanuts. prices here range from $1500 to- over $4000
yrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
felonious smile.

Rewards Points: 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
We used to do probably 50 year. We are down to about 5. When customers see the prices they fall over. Unless they HAVE to do it, it's rare they actually do.

When I first started 14 years ago, a "standard" 100A service upgrade was about $800. Now its about $1200-1400.
Those were the days, I would do 2 to 3 a week back in 02 thru 03' . All copper and pvc. It was once a happy life.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #10
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

used to do a lot more when housing was up, and all the banks demanded the crappy hunting camps being sold had at least a 100A service

serv upgrades are something i've always FR'ed, i think we all can agree it's the way to go

my problem these days is , i like to build them bomb proof, room for growth, etc.

that mentality doesn't sell like it used to

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote